Gransnet forums

Chat

So, Independent Age want us to talk about funerals

(10 Posts)
MissAdventure Tue 26-Nov-19 17:05:42

You can have cardboard coffins too, then people can write messages.

M0nica Tue 26-Nov-19 17:03:14

You can get wicker coffins. I arranged one for a very dear uncle who loved trees. The only downside was that coming up the aisle in the crematorium the coffin creaked and sounded like a well loaded picnic basket. DD nearly had a seizure trying to stop the hysterical laughter that nearly overwhelmed her smile

PamelaJ1 Tue 26-Nov-19 15:27:34

I’ve always wanted to be put in a mausoleum just in case I change my mind!
A shroud would be more eco friendly than a coffin. When we were going to my sister in laws funeral I got into a conversation with the driver about coffins. Apparently the cardboard ones can cause problems because the burning fragments can clog up the ventilation valves.

timetogo2016 Tue 26-Nov-19 15:18:49

Gonegirl is spot on .
Some of us are in the departure lounge so may as well get organised.
I think the shroud idea is sound and I`m going to have a bell tied to my toe just in case.
Jingle bells all the way for me followed by silent night.

Nico97 Tue 26-Nov-19 14:56:50

Although I suppose they would be more likely to see me if I moved at the last minute.

Gonegirl you do me the power of good with some of your one liners - love 'em grin grin

Gonegirl Tue 26-Nov-19 14:50:14

I'm just not too sure about a shroud and no coffin. Although I suppose they would be more likely to see me if I moved at the last minute.

M0nica Tue 26-Nov-19 14:29:30

What is there to talk about? It happens to all of us and I am likely to be closer to death than someone younger than me.

I have no control of when or how it will come to me, so I can see no point in wasting any time thinking about it. Once I am dead DC can do what they like with my remains. I will not be around to know or care.

Gonegirl Tue 26-Nov-19 14:20:24

Well, I am surprised no one wants to talk about dying.

Gonegirl Tue 26-Nov-19 13:03:40

I suppose it's to do with the onset of Winter. More of us will be falling off our perches.

Gonegirl Tue 26-Nov-19 13:02:18

According to the article on GN front page.

Interesting points:

You don't need a coffin. Consider a shroud.

Little bit spooky?

You don't have to have a hearse to transport the coffin..

Wheelbarrow? Rent-a-van?

Interesting article. Nice and cheery for the run up to Christmas.