Gransnet forums

Chat

Baby names since 1904

(37 Posts)
Persistentdonor Thu 28-Nov-19 10:08:27

How popular in the UK was your name at the time of your birth?
Mine has never been in the top 100. sad
As light relief you might want to play on here for a few minutes.
www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/livebirths/articles/babynamessince1904howhasyoursperformed/2016-09-02

Cherrytree59 Thu 28-Nov-19 18:02:24

My name was quite popular in the sixties = top 20.

My DD's name did not appear in the top 100.
However I suspect that in another country's top 100 names, it would appear quite high up on the list.

Off to check other family namessmile

Grandma70s Thu 28-Nov-19 19:43:56

My name is in all those top 100s, though never very high up. It is, I think, a name that doesn’t date.

Some names can date their owners, and there is the prickly business of class connotations, too.

Persistentdonor Thu 28-Nov-19 20:44:47

That's interesting AuntieFlo thank you.

I love it that so many have responded without giving away your names. smile

LullyDully it may be that the latest film version of Little Women will spark a revival?

BlueSapphire Thu 28-Nov-19 20:49:50

Mine has never been in the top 100, which is not surprising.

Framilode Thu 28-Nov-19 20:50:59

You never meet anybody under 60 with my name.

varian Thu 28-Nov-19 20:55:28

My name was in the top ten the year I was born but there were very few ten years earlier or ten years later, It is such a dated name that although I have met many, over the years we are all much of an age.

One of my children has a name which was very popular when she was born but hardly ever used now. Another of my children has a name which was extremely unusual when she was born but is in the top ten now.

kittylester Thu 28-Nov-19 21:10:54

My name and those of my daughters have never been in. Younger sons hasn't either nor dh. Unfortunately DS1 is very common.

Maggiemaybe Thu 28-Nov-19 21:43:25

No mystery about my given name. You couldn't chuck a stick without hitting a Margaret when I was growing up. And probably when my grandmother was growing up, the one I was named after. Fortunately there are plenty of variations. DGM was Meg.

I know of a few little Megs now. I'm told Maggie was on the shortlist for a couple of my DGC if they'd been girls, which touched me.

SueDonim Thu 28-Nov-19 21:55:25

Both my names seem to have fallen off a cliff shortly after I was given them! grin Neither were top ten names.

My oldest dd's name was unheard of until some years after she was born. It then gained some popularity but has more or less disappeared again. My second dd's name was most popular in 1906 and disappeared some twenty years later. When older people learn of her name they always say 'Oh, I had a granny/auntie called that.'

We were also ahead of the curve with ds1's name, which then became very popular. It's on the way out again now. My ds2's name is a perennial favourite.

Persistentdonor Fri 29-Nov-19 08:28:45

Thanks for all the input.
I think the site is a fascinating one to play around a bit. smile

harrigran Fri 29-Nov-19 08:49:12

My name has never been popular in any era.
GD1 has a good old fashioned name which features in both our family trees back to the 19th century.