Gransnet forums

Chat

Shall I give up on holidays?

(6 Posts)
petra Fri 29-Nov-19 17:19:06

Kircubbin
I know the feeling. My best one was on my 60th birthday in china where I ended up in hospital on a drip. Wonderful treatment, though ?

kircubbin2000 Fri 29-Nov-19 17:00:43

I always seem to get sick on holiday. I've had some terrible food poisoning incidents .

Namsnanny Fri 29-Nov-19 14:54:11

I know how you feel. You have explained more or less the situations I have found myself in.
I can give you my best advice (but I don't follow it!)

Persevere with going away on your own, but just for a day or even less.
Try day coach trips.
Eventually you will find someone to chat to and then the chatting will become more relaxed and comfortable.
Don't give in just yet.
If you have your health and husband can be left, try to find the courage to test the waters on your own.
And don't expect too much from yourself or the trip.
Take the pressure off yourself.

Good luck shamrock

grannylyn65 Fri 29-Nov-19 14:41:33

Ever helpful ?

SueDonim Fri 29-Nov-19 14:39:25

Do what makes you happy! If holidays don't tick the box for you, then don't go. smile

Esther1 Fri 29-Nov-19 14:17:21

A discussion came up the other day about your most memorable experience on holiday and as I pondered, sadly only memories I would rather forget kept filling my head. For example, a huge falling out between two family members with me caught in the middle. This is just one incident, but got me thinking that I enjoy my day to day life very much, I jog along very happily, but always on holiday there seems to be one issue or another that causes stress. Perhaps I’ll save money and angst and not try to go away anymore. If I go away with friends or family there always seem to be petty issues, if I go away with just my DH I find it stressful as I have to be solely responsible for everything - he’s physically very fit, but mentally deteriorating, and when I have taken off by myself I have only ever felt incredibly lonely despite making friends whilst away.