Gransnet forums

Chat

Winter fuel allowance

(144 Posts)
tidyskatemum Fri 29-Nov-19 18:51:07

I was positively shocked to get a letter today giving me £200 winter fuel allowance. It had never occurred to me that I was now eligible. It a) makes me feel very old and b) guilty because I don’t need it. I guess means testing would cost a lot so I shall just accept that it’s a right, give the money to the Salvation Army and feel old but virtuous.

Maggiemaybe Sun 01-Dec-19 10:07:09

I’m sorry to hear that things are so difficult for you, Merryweather. Life can be a b****r. Congratulations on your pregnancy and I hope it’s the start of better days ahead for you all.

When I was expecting DD2 in a very hard winter and without central heating, we just heated one small bedroom during the day and spent a lot of time in it. Keeping warm is so important, especially in your circumstances. flowers

marpau Sun 01-Dec-19 11:15:09

I agree annsixty

marpau Sun 01-Dec-19 11:21:32

Blondenana if you Google cold weather payment there is a lot of information available. I don't receive any payments being a waspi so can't tell you what others may be eligible for but do know it's not those on pension only

GracesGranMK3 Sun 01-Dec-19 11:37:42

I think the Cold Weather payment of £25 is very odd but then I think many of these payments, particularly the £10 Christmas Bonus are very of and smack of Victorianism.

I think it was paid out once in our area last winter and I'm sure those who received it were very glad. You get it if the temperature in your area dips below 0°C for seven or more consecutive days between the 1st of November and 31st of March.

The people who may be entitled to it are people on:

Pension Credit
Income Support
income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
income-related Employment and Support Allowance
Universal Credit
Support for Mortgage Interest

If you are getting any of these I suggest you check but, of course, it may just not have been cold enough for a continuous 7 days in your area.

Interestingly the Labour Government increased the rate from £8.50 an eligible week to £25 a week as a temporary measure for winters 2008-2009 and 2009-2010. In 2010, the Coalition Government made the £25 rate permanent and it has been "frozen" since then.

homefarm Sun 01-Dec-19 15:03:35

In the 1970's I can remember my Grandmother receiving the £10.00 Christmas Bonus - it meant a great deal to her. A weeks wages were £10.00 for me at the time, so in those days it was worth having

Daisyboots Sun 01-Dec-19 17:40:21

At the same time that Davud Cameron reduced the WFA he also removed from UK pensioners living elsewhere on Europe. So saved millions of £ at the same time. Most UK pensioners living in Europe are not living in warmer areas than the UK. As many pensioners considered their WFP was part of their pension it didn't go down very well.

madmum38 Sun 01-Dec-19 23:47:24

What age do you have to be to receive this?
Haven’t had heating on for years,can’t afford to so just put another layer of clothes and wrap in a duvet to keep warm

Shropshirelass Mon 02-Dec-19 08:33:50

I keep mine although I don't really need it. We have already paid for it through our contributions so I say Thank You! I give to charities regularly anyway.

EllanVannin Mon 02-Dec-19 08:50:38

I find it truly obscene that in this supposed rich country there are the divides that we're reading on here.
Those who don't need the heating allowance and those who are desperate. What the Hell is going on ?? It's horrible !

GracesGranMK3 Mon 02-Dec-19 09:13:26

I will make another plea for a basic citizens pension of £12,500 for each and every one of us. It is my belief and rather raw calculation that this would do away with all the pats on the head of £10 at Christmas and all the means-tested benefits bar housing. Can you imagine the admin savings and the saving of trees!

EllanVannin Mon 02-Dec-19 09:31:40

I would be happy with an across the board increase in the state pension and scrap the winter payment + the £10 December payment. What could be fairer ?

Reduce the pensionable ages to what they once were which would then do away with claims for AA and disability from an early age ( 60 ) which is when people usually take sick and begin claiming for whatever benefits they receive at that time/age. This also benefits the younger members of society into employment in place of older members.

Whoever's in charge of the economy hasn't got a damn clue !

Callistemon Mon 02-Dec-19 09:44:54

They should put Gransnetters in charge!

I do think, however, that if older people want to work after pensionable age, they should not be prevented from doing so as their experience could be invaluable.

EllanVannin Mon 02-Dec-19 11:44:51

It should be a matter of choice Callistemon and not a given.

cas58 Mon 02-Dec-19 18:26:09

So I have to wait till I'm 66?!

craftyone Tue 03-Dec-19 07:27:11

people over 65 need to have a minimum nightime temperature of 18 degrees c and 20-21 during the day. Any less than 18 puts them at risk of heart and lung problems. For many, the extra winter fuel allowance is a necessity, to enable them/us to adjust thermostats without thinking of the cost. It is not a daily-living add-on but an essential aid to staying healthy. If people are rich enough enough not to need it then fine, just give it to crisis or the sally army, if they feel generous enough

craftyone Tue 03-Dec-19 07:31:01

annsixty, agreed

Callistemon Tue 03-Dec-19 11:22:33

Oh, we're well over 65 and never have the heat on at night.
How did some of our parents, grandparents survive to a good age without central heating?

merlotgran Tue 03-Dec-19 13:36:52

I can't sleep in a bedroom that's too warm. I'd rather have a higher tog duvet and wear bedsocks!! grin