Gransnet forums

Chat

Advent calendars

(33 Posts)
annsixty Sun 01-Dec-19 09:03:17

Today I shall open the first box in my M&S advent calendar.
Extravagant I know but it will lift my spirits at the end of a very difficult year.
My DiL(ex actually) is being offered two days during Dec, along with other colleagues in management, to do things in the community.
She has chosen two days in a food bank in Manchester, so we are doing the reverse Advent calendar in which we will contribute an item of food or necessities every day and she will take them when she makes her last visit.
This is something out local church is participating in.

Esspee Sun 01-Dec-19 09:07:57

That's a lovely idea Annsixty and wonderful that you clearly still have a great relationship with your ex DiL.
I hope next year will be happier for you. flowers

chelseababy Sun 01-Dec-19 09:34:57

Here's our advent calendar....

grannyrebel7 Sun 01-Dec-19 09:35:33

Lovely idea! Much better than some of the stupid advent calendars I've seen recently.

BusterTank Sun 01-Dec-19 09:55:48

Those who will receive your items this Christmas will be truly grateful . Well done to you .

Esmerelda Sun 01-Dec-19 10:16:25

I love it Chelseababy ... where did it come from?

Minshy Sun 01-Dec-19 10:27:18

Brilliant idea!

Nortsat46 Sun 01-Dec-19 10:29:12

Thank you, good reminder annsixty.
We have done a Reverse Advent Calendar for the last couple of years and need to get going on this years.

The Trussell Trust have Foodbanks all around the country (sadly), so if anyone else needs a donation point for a Reverse Advent Calendar, it’s worth checking their website www.trusselltrust.org/get-help/find-a-foodbank/

Caro57 Sun 01-Dec-19 10:29:21

That’s beautiful- did you make it?

Mapleleaf Sun 01-Dec-19 10:29:42

I like your advent calendar chelseababy. Did you make it?
I've got a religious one given to me by my SiL, which is beautiful. First door opened reveals an angel.
Enjoy the treats from yours, annsixty. It's a wonderful thing you and your ex DiL is doing.

Caro57 Sun 01-Dec-19 10:30:29

Whoops - that hurried off too quickly! I was asking Chelseababy!

Maggiemaybe Sun 01-Dec-19 10:33:03

I missed out on the M & S one this year, so I snapped up a Yankee candle one on offer yesterday (£7.50). At least we’ll be smelling Christmassy. I’ve a Milky Bar one as well. smile

I do the reverse thing too, but our local food bank has asked for the donations to be given in every week or so, as they can get too much all at once at Christmas.

tanith Sun 01-Dec-19 10:35:19

I just opened the first on the beauty advent my son sent me some very posh eye cream I thought I’d try it on one eye see if I can spot the difference ?

Davida1968 Sun 01-Dec-19 11:17:04

I have an online advent calendar from Jacquie Lawson. (Who does the most beautiful E-cards) It's great fun - something different every day and also it includes games/activities to do at any time. My 12 year old DGS loves it too - I've sent him one every year since he was about five. IMO this is much better than chocolates or the cardboard ones full of unnecessary crap stuff that I don't need. (It costs £3.70 - & is a bit cheaper if you order three or more. I have no connection with the company - I'm just a happy customer.)

Abuelana Sun 01-Dec-19 11:31:58

I’ve got the Amazon beauty advent calendar £40 with £220 of goodies inside - exciting!!
I’m also going to put one tin / bag of rice / sugar by per day and give to local food bank. Thank you for making me think ?

vickya Sun 01-Dec-19 11:53:50

I opened the first window today on the postcode lottery advent calendar they sent. It has a photo of Cupid, a kitten re-homed by Battersea, who are one of the charities the lottery supports. They will show a new one day day I expect. I liked the reverse idea giving to the food bank too.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 01-Dec-19 12:23:12

I gave two of our GS's their Thorntons Chocolate Advent Calendars this morning (ages 10 & 11), I had attached a "Santa's Magic Key" to each of them. The 11 year old looked at the key and gave me a very odd look [txhconfused]

GrannyGravy13 Sun 01-Dec-19 12:23:42

Should have beeen tchconfused ???

librarylady Sun 01-Dec-19 14:55:35

I was tired of chocolate Advent calendars so today I opened the first door on my Paperchase version - a new item of stationary every day in December. Today was a very cute AND useful little notebook.tchsmile

TrendyNannie6 Sun 01-Dec-19 16:39:59

Beautiful advent chelseababy

TwiceAsNice Sun 01-Dec-19 16:45:21

Our church is doing this for the 4 Sunday’s in Advent. ( we do it all year too but are pressing hard for extra people to contribute in Dec) I was unable to be on church this morning so dropped off some items in the week, we put boxes in church for people to drop off any time

Witzend Sun 01-Dec-19 17:21:32

Does anybody else like the old fashioned ones, with just little pictures? I treated myself to one the other day - a jolly Raymond Briggs Father Christmas.

Smileless2012 Sun 01-Dec-19 17:26:24

Yes, I got one the other day too Witzend and shall enjoy opening each door up too and including Christmas Eve.

Jani31 Sun 01-Dec-19 17:35:29

I got Mum one from Baileys. She tried to open the top so she could get to one of the 3 x miniature bottles ?

DanniRae Sun 01-Dec-19 17:43:42

My daughter buys me a paper advent calendar every year. This year she bought it from the Good Gifts catologue. When I opened the first day it said "Milk for an African Orphan" on the reverse. I am delighted with it.