Gransnet forums

Chat

Wrinkles. How do you cope?

(122 Posts)
Annecan Wed 04-Dec-19 10:26:08

Having always been reasonably young looking, this last year has taken a toll, and I look old and wrinkled (I’m 68). It’s as though my face is caving in!
Worst still this Makes me feel old.
What to do? How to cope? Any suggestions

Doodle Wed 04-Dec-19 20:08:15

Plaster of Paris ?

BlueSky Wed 04-Dec-19 20:08:46

I think you might be right Pudding123

Sussexborn Wed 04-Dec-19 20:22:55

Another fan of Boots No 7. They have different serum and cream for each decade and I am now at the highest level!

Top tip is to avoid the magnifying side of any mirror.

BradfordLass72 Wed 04-Dec-19 20:54:45

Just hope to be as beautiful as these wondeful ladies one day....this is growing old gracefully.

annep1 Wed 04-Dec-19 23:51:26

I use Boots no 7 skin care and makeup too. And as Ellenvannin says I try to emphasise my eyes to detract from the wrinkles.
I hate getting older looking. I try not to bend forward in view of anyone. (Face sags, I've mentioned this before.)

Hetty58 Thu 05-Dec-19 00:14:59

Stop cleaning mirrors and glasses - and use lower voltage light bulbs near them!

To stop looking so bloody tired, pale and drawn, I use blusher on my cheeks and a little in the middle of my forehead and chin. I always brush my eyebrows upwards (at an angle) and put a tiny bit of Vaseline on my eyelids.

I agree with annep1 about bending forward - so no more going on top!

Belleringer Thu 05-Dec-19 10:45:20

Oh it would be wonderful to have enough hair left to grow a fringe to cover the wrinkles!

Taffy1234 Thu 05-Dec-19 10:49:13

Botox? Fillers?
I have as much as I can afford.

chattykathy Thu 05-Dec-19 10:51:19

There are plenty of face yoga videos on YouTube, might be worth a try

Tigertooth Thu 05-Dec-19 10:52:11

Do NOT. Ever, ever purchase a mirrored-top table and then bend over looking directly downwards to clean it.
The most depressing thing ever!

nipsmum Thu 05-Dec-19 10:55:21

They are not life threatening so don't worry about them. They are a sign of maturity.

FlexibleFriend Thu 05-Dec-19 11:26:42

I just look at people who are younger than me and see how much more wrinkly they are and I feel I'm doing ok especially as I've never particularly looked after my skin, too much sunbathing etc.

wot Thu 05-Dec-19 11:29:34

Use Polyfilla!
I have suddenly developed marionette lines like a freaky old puppet!

OpenUniversity2017 Thu 05-Dec-19 11:31:21

Hi, just read your post from yesterday ( and not all the replies so sorry if this advice has already been mentioned) . Why not give unsweetened Almond milk a try ? It’s meant to help with the overall condition of skin. Google it’s nutritional value . I still have semi skimmed milk in tea and coffee but drink almond milk when I’m thirsty . Good luck.

NanKate Thu 05-Dec-19 11:34:40

As long as I am breathing and walking I am happy.
?

annab275 Thu 05-Dec-19 11:41:02

no one else cares about my wrinkles so why should I? it's a natural part of ageing, along with grey hair. Keep smiling xx

grannyactivist Thu 05-Dec-19 11:41:19

Wrinkles? No, I don't worry about them, they sit nicely alongside the age spots, skin tags and warts I'm developing! hmm

pollyanna1962 Thu 05-Dec-19 11:46:50

I think wrinkles should be the last thing you worry about. Consider those with scars, deformities. I am now disabled by a broken back and bent beyond my own recognician. Plus I'm 3 inches shorter. I feel the need to back against a wall as I'm so very ashamed. I would take a face full of wrinkles to be the old me again. Think on it could be worse.

Paperbackwriter Thu 05-Dec-19 11:52:11

I had a photo taken yesterday for renewing my driving licence and I didn't want them to use my passport photo. It's got a deep groove from nose to chin on my left side. I tried thinking it was a trick of the light but sadly not. Damn. (It's still better than the passport pic though, but only just!)

Lupin Thu 05-Dec-19 11:55:02

I too am a fan of leaving the glasses off - you have to anyway to apply the make-up. This works for housework too. Remove the specs as soon as you come in the door.
Other than that I recommend good skin care and the best moisturiser you can afford - Use an appropriate one all over the body.

Qwerty Thu 05-Dec-19 11:57:47

Don't look in the mirror too closely, or at all, and keep your sense of humour. One of our grandsons calls us " The fossils". I think it's from Tom Gates books by Liz Pichon. Either way I know, I think, it's meant affectionally as he loves being at our house. Just keep going and enjoy life.

Grannyguitar Thu 05-Dec-19 12:04:31

What ever you do, don't have a face-lift. Remember what they used to say about Nancy Reagan "Every time she smiles, it pulls her knickers up!". If the thought of that doesn't make you laugh, nothing will.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 05-Dec-19 12:08:49

Wrinkles. Who cares not me. It’s not something I really think about. They come to us all. I’m just so happy I wake up everyday. Lots of ppl haven’t had that chance

Patticake123 Thu 05-Dec-19 12:09:43

Dim light, misty mirror, no specs and enjoy the fact that you have laughter lines.

Kartush Thu 05-Dec-19 12:18:23

Stop looking in mirrors or any reflective surface...... works like a charm