Gransnet forums

Chat

Wrinkles. How do you cope?

(122 Posts)
Annecan Wed 04-Dec-19 10:26:08

Having always been reasonably young looking, this last year has taken a toll, and I look old and wrinkled (I’m 68). It’s as though my face is caving in!
Worst still this Makes me feel old.
What to do? How to cope? Any suggestions

Blossoming Wed 05-May-21 11:46:25

If I take my glasses off before I look in the mirror the wrinkles disappear as if by magic. I have to wear dark glasses when I go out, nice big frames hide a multitude of sins ?

timetogo2016 Wed 05-May-21 10:49:00

I genuinely think wrinkles have appeared because of being stuck indoors for so long.
Not enough fresh air etc.
But as has already been written,were here to grumble about them.

crazyH Wed 05-May-21 01:39:44

Those brown splotches are a pain, age spots accumulating. A nice cover-up should hide it. I have very uneven skin.

crazyH Wed 05-May-21 01:36:29

Big hugs to you Daisyboots xx

nanna8 Wed 05-May-21 01:19:25

Hey does anyone know how to get rid of those nasty brown splotches? Tried lemon juice but no go.

nanna8 Wed 05-May-21 01:15:29

I’m not too wrinkly but I always use re-gen oil under my makeup ( the stuff for stretch marks), especially on my neck because I don’t want turkey neck! I do get a lot of age spots on the back of my hands. Ghastly things. Yuck ?

KylieJones Wed 05-May-21 01:10:00

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 10-Dec-19 09:20:18

Am so sorry Daisyboots big hugs to you.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 09-Dec-19 13:55:47

I can understand and share some of the distress about wrinkles because it's a visible sign that we're aging and won't be around forever, which is sadly true, and we have to come to terms with that.
Problem is, unless you've had a lot of sun exposure, the condition of skin is largely down to genes, and over the counter creams won't help, however expensive. All moisturiser does is trap moisture under the skin (look it up). Prescription strength retinol reduces signs of wrinkles but many are sensitive to this stuff and you need to get it privately anyway.
I think although first impressions of someone are obviously important, personality is what counts in the long run.

Daisyboots Mon 09-Dec-19 13:23:45

Well on the way to 76 I am lucky to have a clear skin with very few wrinkles and most people think I look younger than I am. But like
Pollyanna1962 I would be very happy to have wrinkles rather than have terminal cancer which I have. I am sure no one complaining about their wrinkles would want to do a swap. Wrinkles aren't important but life certainly is. Just keep rubbing in the moisturiser. It doesnt have to be expensive. I use the Q10 moisturiser from Lidl most of the time.

Saetana Sun 08-Dec-19 17:06:20

I can definitely recommend serums as a treatment for all kinds of skin issues - whatever your problem(s) is then there will be a serum to suit. They are my favourite skincare products as you can start seeing results within a week or two. Elizabeth Arden Ceramide range is fantastic, Kiehls is also great and I've recently been using Skin Doctors Vit A and Vit C ampules morning and night (a bit haphazardly I'll admit but have still got good results from them).

Kartush Sat 07-Dec-19 21:48:43

I am fat, and fat smooths out wrinkles

henetha Sat 07-Dec-19 10:31:02

I've been fighting my wrinkles for years now, and at 82 have almost given up.... they are part of me, - but I still use a decent moisturiser every day, one with SPF.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 07-Dec-19 10:29:02

I use plaster/filler and remove glasses when looking in the mirror. It works a treat.
Seriously, eat well, use aqueous cream in place of soap and keep smiling.

timetogo2016 Sat 07-Dec-19 10:22:16

It`s better to have lines and be hear to moan about them.
And we all grow old and view each other in the same way then think ah it`s not just me then.

Jillykins3 Fri 06-Dec-19 13:26:46

Bless you Granny23....l love your post..XX

Granny23 Fri 06-Dec-19 13:20:58

I never was beautiful, nor even pretty. These were descriptions applied to my big sister, never me. BUT - I was always the one who could take my pick from potential boyfriends and now at 73 still get chatted up. I seem to have a certain 'Je ne sais qua' and still remember when a lovely friend, a younger, married man said 'Please don't look at me like that, with those eyes, or I might do something I'll regret."

I do think it is a shame that only men can grow beards, as they are a brilliant way to disguise jowls and gizzards.

Jillykins3 Fri 06-Dec-19 13:20:52

Thank you for your good wishes regarding my daughter Callistermon.... Just to reassure you Botox has been in use for many years before it was used cosmetically. Unless you are allergic to any of its ingredients it is very safe. The bad reports that we see in the media concern Permanent Fillers or bad products from China passed off as more expensive products. My daughter has done her own research regarding anything she has injected into her skin. There is plenty of scientific material on Google to support it's safe use . Naturally it is important make sure where you have any treatments .

desjumeaux17 Fri 06-Dec-19 12:47:14

I was thinking this as well, I am 65 and I cant bend over a mirror, my face almost falls out. shock

I just make sure I use moisturiser every day to protect from sun and wind. Remember to always rub the cream upwards.

Pudding123 I agree my lovely sister died 3 years ago, she wasn't much older than me.

I think we have to just live with them, embrace them as proof of a life lived, I am not ready for the alternative. I have too much more to do yet.

Callistemon Fri 06-Dec-19 12:46:41

I hope your DD has made a full recovery, Jillykins.
She deserves lovely pampering beauty treatments but it would worry about the long-term effects of Botox and fillers (as yet not fully researched).

Callistemon Fri 06-Dec-19 12:43:15

Why on earth would anyone want to have stuff injected into them unless it is to relieve pain or to save their life?

confused

BlueSky Fri 06-Dec-19 12:29:10

My thoughts exactly Jillykins and yes maybe fillers would help. Could give it a try why not!

Jillykins3 Fri 06-Dec-19 12:27:25

Course you must focus on the important things in life just as l do ....but you can still get rid of some wrinkles if you want to. It is a separate thing to how you love and care for people. My daughter has replacement bones put into her leg due to cancer.It was important to her to learn to walk again which she did ..but she still had beauty treatments and botox. It doesn't make her any different as a person but it gives her confidence to look and feel nice. We are still the same women inside that we have always been just because we are older .Older women should not be made to feel guilty because they want to look nice.( Not that l am saying anyone on HERE has said that) Annecan had said that she was thinking about Botox etc....and l was responding to that . I can assure you having fillers once a year does not change my focus on the important things such as love and care for my family. It is totally separate like putting on make up choosing what to wear. I admire Annecan for expressing how she feels and asking for our thoughts and advice . I can only add...that it is right for me .

NanaandGrampy Fri 06-Dec-19 11:33:17

I don’t even notice them and if I did I wouldn’t care.

You’re more than the sum of your looks . I bet if your family described you they might mention your kindness, your sense of humour, the love you give them. Not one would mention wrinkles !

Focus on the things that are important Annecan , after all age is just a number .

Jillykins3 Fri 06-Dec-19 11:18:20

Bereavement