Gransnet forums

Chat

Can't believe he said this!

(23 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Thu 05-Dec-19 10:46:33

An Indian film maker, Daniel Shavran, has said that rape without violence should be legalised, women should carry condoms and co-operate with sex attackers!

His logic is that men's sexual needs have to be met and if women "co-operated", they would be not be killed and therefore women would be safer

His comments came after the charred body of a woman who had been raped was found in Hyderabad

pinkquartz Thu 05-Dec-19 10:52:24

I am afraid that sexist attitudes in India are way beyond our imagination.

This is a country where in parts, they kill baby girls on birth.
They have no value and are not wanted.
Shocking yes.

It is still incredible that a man who is educated would be so crass.

There has been many reports of girls and women (yes girls) being raped and killed in India in the last year

Jane10 Thu 05-Dec-19 10:53:42

OMG!!! Thats appalling. My sympathies to all women in India living with such ghastly and dangerous attitudes.

sodapop Thu 05-Dec-19 12:55:44

I know the Indian culture does not really rate women but this is truly beyond the pale if its true. Absolutely horrific.

patriciageegee Thu 05-Dec-19 13:14:15

In what universe is there an UNviolent rape??

PamGeo Thu 05-Dec-19 13:18:59

shock

MerylStreep Thu 05-Dec-19 13:19:54

Not surprised. The sexual violence that women and femail children are suffering in India is abhorrent ?

Hetty58 Thu 05-Dec-19 13:20:11

I'm quite sure that men can meet their sexual needs in brothels. What is rape without violence?

notanan2 Thu 05-Dec-19 13:21:28

Brothel sex is still rape where women are coerced or forced into prostitution

pinkquartz Thu 05-Dec-19 13:25:15

Hetty58

Men in India are raping children and women, what do you mean by "What is rape without violence?"

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 05-Dec-19 13:26:47

It's beyond belief isn't it? A friend loves going to India (alone) each winter and for the life of me I can't see the attraction. I know it's a big country and attitudes differ in different places but still. Nothing would induce me to visit.

pinkquartz Thu 05-Dec-19 13:58:04

There is also a lot in India to experience and enjoy....but the sexism is so extreme.

I enjoyed being there when younger but I don't want to return now.

endlessstrife Thu 05-Dec-19 14:00:03

I felt sick when I read that?. I expect culture difference, but this is abhorrent.

Gonegirl Thu 05-Dec-19 14:03:49

seem they don't think much of it in India too

lemongrove Thu 05-Dec-19 14:06:51

Unbelievable, isn’t it?
He won’t be the only man thinking that in India either!

grannyactivist Thu 05-Dec-19 14:13:27

You can read his FaceBook post in full here:
metro.co.uk/2019/12/05/rape-without-violence-legalised-victims-co-operate-says-filmmaker-11273455/

His mother says he should be ashamed of himself:
www.opindia.com/2019/12/daniel-shravan-social-media-rape-murder-women-condoms-hyderabad-mother-family/

Iam64 Thu 05-Dec-19 14:34:53

Staggeringly awful.

notanan is right to point out many sex workers have been trafficked and/or are being sexually exploited. I don’t understand the idea that men have a right to gave ‘their sexual needs satisfied’. Why? Can’t the self satisfy or take a shower, why are their ‘sexual needs’ even considered worthy of discussion in the context of rape?

Missfoodlove Thu 05-Dec-19 15:01:37

India is not the only county in the world with such attitudes.

Iam64 Thu 05-Dec-19 15:05:23

True miss foodlove, it’s also a beautiful, vibrant and fascinating country

pinkquartz Thu 05-Dec-19 20:21:55

notanan

of course brothel sex is also rape but the rape of young women and girls who are then brutally killed is another depth of sickness.
I am deliberately not quoting all the news stories I have seen in the last year.
It is very much to do with the devaluing of women from the moment of birth.
It is also a reminder that we must fight for women's rights all the time.
There are other countries where women are also as nothing but commodity but the news from India is often reported under world news so it is very easy to read about.

pinkquartz Thu 05-Dec-19 20:25:16

I probably read news from India because I enjoyed being there.
although it was traumatic in some respects. I am glad I went.

Blinko Thu 05-Dec-19 21:21:28

How is it that these countries are at least two centuries behind in civilized thinking? What is the mindset?

Callistemon Thu 05-Dec-19 22:23:48

Rape in itself is a violent act whether or not other violence is used.

Some of the tales of rape in India are just appalling.
Little girls are still sold into slavery in temples (as sex slaves).

What a disgusting man, I hope he cannot use his career to promote his vile message.