Gransnet forums

Chat

Procrastination

(75 Posts)
Chewbacca Thu 05-Dec-19 23:09:12

On another thread, I posted that I've been putting off refilling the holes in my kitchen walls, where the electrician moved the power point sockets. It's been two weeks now. I see them, all 5 of them (doubles), and every day I tell myself that I'll do it. And then I find something more riveting to do like mess about on here. I know I will get around to doing it at some point, but it's as though I have to take myself by surprise! If I plan it, I don't do it.

What jobs have you been putting off and for how long? Make me feel better! grin

Buffybee Fri 06-Dec-19 09:57:54

Oh God yes! Procrastination!
I am the expert on that one. Luckily, I am useless at Diy, so always get workmen in but I can't get a workman in to clear my cupboards out, can I.....sigh! ?

Anniebach Fri 06-Dec-19 10:00:04

I don’t procrastinate, I do everything - tomorrow!

Nannytopsy Fri 06-Dec-19 10:13:58

Venall that is my husband's motto too!
I have the white eggshell to do in our kitchen and adjoining utility. Had hoped to finish before Christmas ...

lindiann Fri 06-Dec-19 10:18:10

Hetty58 What shade of paint is that please it is lovely and exactly the colour I am looking for Thanks smile

hillwalker70 Fri 06-Dec-19 10:20:25

Is procrastination simply another word for ‘time management’ which I am crap at. Loads to do, but in which order, outside jobs or indoor jobs, nice jobs like decorating the tree or hard jobs like sawing up logs, all need completing and only me to do them. There must be a formula surely.

Magrithea Fri 06-Dec-19 10:35:17

Wrapping Christmas presents!

Madmaggie Fri 06-Dec-19 10:41:15

Moved here 4yrs ago. Major important job was decorate bedroom. I should whisper this - only just finished it! Life got in the way grin but it is just how I wanted it and we paid a decorator to do it! I have a list of jobs and find I can tick one off the top but add two to the bottom!! If its decorating or garden planting I derive pleasure from some planning. I love reading so that can be my downfall.

EllieB52 Fri 06-Dec-19 10:47:29

I hate knitting and it took me 8 years to finish a jumper for my husband a long time ago.

When we moved into our new house in March we took down a curtain track in the bedroom bay window (putting a curtain on a pole outside the bay). We only filled the holes several months later when someone was coming to stay and would be shown round the house.

The down lights under my kitchen wall cupboards were shining on the wall instead of the worktop (bad design). My husband has moved one but not the other two. I call him Mr 90% as he rarely finishes a job completely unless I shame him into it by saying I’ll get someone in to finish it off.

Tigertooth Fri 06-Dec-19 10:52:52

Taking down last years Xmas decorations...hold on...yippee!

Phloembundle Fri 06-Dec-19 11:32:10

Any housework. There is tumbleweed under the kitchen table.

Mollygo Fri 06-Dec-19 11:36:55

Hanging curtains! It was a chapter of accidents! Bought pencil pleat curtains to replace old ones. Faulty! Swapped them for another pair. Faulty! Decided to go for curtains on a pole instead. Removed track, then discovered that the wooden bar wasn’t deep enough for the pole supports. Bought new bar and attached it to the wall. So why can’t I summon up the energy to drill holes for the curtain pole supports and hang the curtains???

maryrose54 Fri 06-Dec-19 11:37:29

I need to make some bedding for a little dolls crib for dg before Christmas. Keep telling myself I have plenty of time and have all the material ready. Should have learnt by now because anything with a deadline I tend to put off until the last minute!

Kalu Fri 06-Dec-19 11:43:00

Chewbacca I got a fit of the giggles with visions of you knitting a jumper for god???

I’m pretty handy at DIY and DH borrows anything from my toolbox under threat of a sever tongue lashing?

Kalu Fri 06-Dec-19 11:44:45

Oops. ‘Severe’.......I wouldn’t actually sever his tongue? ?

Lizbethann55 Fri 06-Dec-19 11:54:52

Two weeks! That's nothing at all. I wouldn't even consider that procrastination!!! With me , it is anything that even remotely involves tidying up, sorting out and putting away. My house is so untidy but it is nearly all paper work, files etc. Mind you , most of it belongs to my DH and he is even worse than me. Also I have loads of stuff waiting to go to charity shops and tip and as a bone driver I am waiting for DH to take it.

Gonegirl Fri 06-Dec-19 11:57:11

I am procrastinating over doing the (very small amount of) ironing. And Hoovering. And washing the slightly sticky from mincemeat making kitchen floor.

Sara65 Fri 06-Dec-19 12:33:12

Just get on with it ladies, you’ll feel so much better when it’s done.

LuckyFour Fri 06-Dec-19 12:38:04

Writing and sending my Christmas cards. I'd rather sweep the leaves.

Saggi Fri 06-Dec-19 13:09:37

I hate procrastination .,.it is ‘the thief of time’....and as I do the work of two people in my house , and outside of my house, and always have done, I find if I don’t do a job as soon as I can, the jobs soon escalate to an overwhelming amount ...and don’t trust myself to keep on top of it all!

Cabbie21 Fri 06-Dec-19 13:17:24

I am best at getting things done first thing in the morning, having made a list the night before. If there is a deadline, I can meet it, but without one, I can delay as long as the rest of you.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 06-Dec-19 13:40:43

What a glorious picture your typo caused, Chewbacca! I had a marvellous picture in my mind's eye of the Almighty in a home-knitted Aran sweater, although I did wonder how you were going to get it to Him when finished!

I put off cycling 3 km each way to do some shopping yesterday, because it was raining. Today, I simply had to go, as DH was out of his medicine, and it is both raining, sleeting and blowing a gale!

That'll larn. me won't it?

Marilla Fri 06-Dec-19 13:57:18

Wiping down paintwork and skirting boards. Loathe doing it!
The paintwork around the stairs and bannisters in particular.
I don’t wear my glasses indoors unless watching TV, so I don’t see how much cleaning needs doing. ?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 06-Dec-19 14:10:05

I've applied Polyfilla to small cracks but have yet to rub it down and 'make good.' Months have passed and I can't be bothered, it doesn't really look good but it's not too bad either and I continue to live with it.

Mollygo Fri 06-Dec-19 14:35:04

Thank you so much Chewbacca and all the other gransnetters who posted on here. It gave me a real push to get on with the job and my curtains are up! It used to take an under an hour to drill and fit things but with less strength to heave ladders around and cordless drills that run out it’s taken me from 12.15 till 2.30 but who cares? I’m so relieved. Thanks again!

Gonegirl Fri 06-Dec-19 14:40:24

I dreamed the other night that I had dusted and washed all my skirting boards. Really disappointed when I woke up