Gransnet forums

Chat

Procrastination

(75 Posts)
Chewbacca Thu 05-Dec-19 23:09:12

On another thread, I posted that I've been putting off refilling the holes in my kitchen walls, where the electrician moved the power point sockets. It's been two weeks now. I see them, all 5 of them (doubles), and every day I tell myself that I'll do it. And then I find something more riveting to do like mess about on here. I know I will get around to doing it at some point, but it's as though I have to take myself by surprise! If I plan it, I don't do it.

What jobs have you been putting off and for how long? Make me feel better! grin

Grammaretto Fri 06-Dec-19 15:01:55

there's an old Cornish saying
"Never put off till tomorrow what can be left until the day after"
Sounds about right.
Deadlines are the thing though, believe me.
I put off painting my kitchen walls until the week before the house went on the market. In the end it took me 4 hours one afternoon and looked beautiful. I had put up with the hideous colour for 5 years.

merlotgran Fri 06-Dec-19 15:06:57

This thread has prompted me to fill the holes in the shower room wall where we've just replaced a new heated towel rail and the only one that would fit was 5cm narrower than the one that conked out. angry

I wonder how long it will take for me to get around to touching up the paint!

4allweknow Fri 06-Dec-19 15:12:00

No chance of doing DIY in my house. I just need to get out a tape measure and I asked "what's that for, what are you going to do" and DH is on the case. Wish he was so good and quick at cleanibg out my wardrobes and drawers. Ah well, sure there will be another rainy day for me to do that on.

n e of doing DU

Quizzer Fri 06-Dec-19 16:09:06

I put off the ironing until I have nothing left to wear. Actually DH runs out before I do but ironing is one thing he is useless at.

Grammaretto Fri 06-Dec-19 16:19:27

My DM's solution to her ironing pile was to give it to me, not to iron for her but as a gift for me!
It was full of creased cotton blouses. Was I ever going to tackle it?

Witzend Fri 06-Dec-19 16:27:10

I forget who said it, but I love this quote:
'I love work. I can sit and look at it for hours.'

Not exactly me to a T - I won't usually be looking at it, or even thinking about it - more likely curled up on the sofa with a good book.

Paperbackwriter Fri 06-Dec-19 17:17:36

On the sewing-up-knitting thing, in summer I managed to finish a little baby cardigan I'd been knitting for my grand-daughter and hadn't got round to sewing on the edging and doing the seams. Grand-daughter is now eleven years old. And even then I only finished it because we were all entering lots of items in the local flower and produce show and I quite fancied the knitting section. I was delighted to find it won first prize. It's gone to a niece who had a baby in September.

Hetty58 Fri 06-Dec-19 17:36:37

lindiann, it's Wickes kitchen greaseproof 805 Sage. I thought that really washable paint would be the way to go (as my house is often infested by grubby, sticky grandchildren).

Hetty58 Fri 06-Dec-19 17:44:09

Does anyone else buy themselves a treat when something actually gets done? I had a lovely bar of chocolate! Today, I've done nothing useful at all, though.

MerylStreep Fri 06-Dec-19 17:50:23

I'd love to be a procrastinator, but I just can't. ☹️
If something needs doing, whether it's diy, housework, garden I just have to do it.

Merryweather Fri 06-Dec-19 18:07:01

I have a gorgeous crochet to do for our baby. However I have no idea how to crochet ? and its quite complicated. I got lost just looking at the instructions!
Good job baby isn't due until March / April.

Chewbacca Fri 06-Dec-19 19:49:50

In 1999, we bought an antique foot stool that needed re upholstering. So I bought the canvas, tapestry wool and frame and set to work. By 2004, we'd moved house and no longer had the foot stool, which was just as well because the tapestry was nowhere near finished. In 2012, I bought a Monk's Chair and decided that the perfect cushion for it would be "Millennium Tapestry". So I set to work once more and low and behold... I finished it. It only took me 13 years!

GardenerGran Fri 06-Dec-19 21:34:40

That enormous and still growing pile of recipes cut from magazines over many years - every winter I intend to sort into files but ..

Grammaretto Fri 06-Dec-19 21:55:52

Chewbacca, well done. You are not a procrastinator.

I saw an advert for a local knitting group and it suggested you bring your UFOs. I hadn't realised before that stood for un-finished objects. I brought 5 half made garments and 3 of them were completed with help from the group.

I even managed to gift the blanket I had started for DGC #1, 12yrs before to DGC #7 who was due. Success.

kwest Sat 07-Dec-19 02:13:59

Finishing my books for the accountant. I will be completing them over the Christmas period once again.

timetogo2016 Sat 07-Dec-19 10:03:34

Oh dear, I have been planning to sort out my wardrobes for a shocking 3 years.
I open the doors look at the clothes,look at the pile of folded tops at the bottom of the wardrobe then sat to myself oh forget it the stuff will be there tomorrow.
And we all know tomorrow never comes.

Callistemon Sat 07-Dec-19 10:11:41

Merryweather it's too late to say don't start off with something complicated smile but I taught myself to crochet basic stitches from watching YouTube. Rufus started a thread a little while ago telling us how to slow down a video to enable you follow instructions.

Good luck - a project for the hibernation months!

GreenGran78 Sat 07-Dec-19 10:14:17

My DH was a prize procrastinator. Many years ago he eventually finished making the toy wheelbarrow that our little son wanted for Christmas - on Christmas Eve! He didn’t have time to paint it. The problem was solved by ‘Santa’ leaving a note with the barrow. It apologised for it not being painted, saying that the elves had been extra-busy that year, and would he mind painting it himself. Included in the parcel was a tin of red paint and a brush!
The little lad was so thrilled, and happily helped Daddy to finish off the job. He enjoyed his present even more because of the diy involved!
As for me, I’m not much good at diy, except for decorating, and I’ve been planning to start on that for about three years!

Speldnan Sun 08-Dec-19 14:21:32

Clearing out the loft!

Oldandverygrey Sun 08-Dec-19 15:20:43

Trying to work up a head of steam in order to write out the Christmas Cards! every year I try and "trim" the list but somehow I still end up writing out 100 cards.

Hetty58 Sun 08-Dec-19 18:22:39

I absolutely hate writing Christmas cards so I probably won't bother - again. I'm glad it's not compulsory and I always have the excuse of being 'environmentally friendly'!

Cabbie21 Sun 08-Dec-19 18:30:53

Taking advantage of stopping in with a sore throat, to start writing Christmas cards, instead of being out singing.
It is a case of Seize the moment. Not sure when they will get posted though.

annep1 Sun 08-Dec-19 19:30:55

I hate putting jobs off. I do everything asap.
But if they involve OH they can take years literally. We bought paint for the kitchen three years ago. New lights sat in a kitchen corner for months until OH got an electrician. He could get a degree in reasons excuses to delay jobs.

Daisyboots Mon 09-Dec-19 00:32:54

Paperwork is my procrastination. There must be two years of filing sitting on the kitchen and it has been there for about six weeks. But I did manage to find some Christmas cards a couple of weeks ago and managed to write them and stamp them this evening. So much procrastination in everything at the moment but starting a week of double sessions of radiotherapy tomorrow is my excuse for not sorting things.