Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(60 Posts)
Rufus2 Fri 06-Dec-19 05:44:18

When I told my wife I'd traded our bed for a trampoline, she hit the roof!
G'Day everyone, yet again.! smile Bright and early; if any insomniacs wish for an earlier opening for someone to chat with, just say so.
I was rushed off my feet yesterday; never seen so many tea/coffee drinkers in one place. But worry not! We will always have hot mugs of your favourites to bring a smile to your frozen lips. smile
Years ago it was "cuppa tea/coffee please"; now there's a complex manual on a whole list of variations; "Earl Grey , English Breakfast, Flat White , Latte, Cappuccino, the list goes on and on! Good job we haven't any Niles Cranes!
Anyway it's interesting to see how the other half lives and to note the increased sophistication of dining preferences.
It's been a pleasure to have been of service and I'll have fond memories to sustain me in the dole queue. sad
Btw; I hope Mick hasn't been shanghai'd by some Belle of B'mouth! hmm
OoRoo

Pantglas2 Fri 06-Dec-19 08:36:01

Morning everyone from a dry and windy north Wales - a chamberpot of tea please Rufus!

Best wishes dragonfly with your treatment and to anyone else unwell and worried. Have missed GN whilst my birthday celebrations were being undertaken on lovely Anglesey where we ate too much and partook of the demon drink - my grandmother is still spinning in her grave!

Welcome Mamo if you’re new - we’re always keeping an eye out for folks to add their whereabouts etc and you’re just across the water from me here in north Wales!

conor Fri 06-Dec-19 08:36:58

Good morning from a dark gloomy Essex. Enjoyed my evening in London with DS yesterday to see the musical Hamilton. The story is quite confusing(for me anyhow!) but the music and dancing is amazing with so much energy. Second time I've seen it and would go again.
Some local shopping this morning and then a pre Xmas lunch with friends. May have to cut it short(4 hours! ) as have a hair appt at 4.30?
Await the promised Marydoll adventure and thoughts as always to Gillybobs and anyone with worries or troubles xxx

gillybob Fri 06-Dec-19 08:41:38

Good morning from the NE coast where we have a relatively mild start to the day. Sadly my little “hurray it Friday girl” is still in hiding but I hope she will be back soon.

I will have a nice big mug of strong builders tea please Rufus a little splash of milk and no sugar, what else for a Geordie girl eh?

No real news today, just more of the same really. DH still doing okay and managing to breath in his own, but back on antibiotics and still suffering from horrible delirium and hallucinations. They still tell me there is every chance he will just “snap out of it” hmm

I had the second hour of torture at the dentist yesterday afternoon getting my from tooth root canal finished off (hopefully) . Have been in agony most of the night with that throb, throb, throb of toothache where you just don’t know where to put yourself. I’m sure I have overdosed on painkillers but they don’t seem to have touched it.

Looking forward to reading Marydolls antics during her return from NY. There’s nothing in the national news about a Glaswegian gran causing mayhem in America so hopefully she made it home without too much drama. grin

Thinking of you Dragonfly brave lady. Wishing it all over for you soon and getting back to normal. smile. Hoping for better times on the horizon for all those feeling sad or poorly today . sunshine

To those enjoying happy times and holidays, long may they continue .

Huge thanks (as usual) to all those who continue to hold DH in their thoughts and prayers.

Love Gillybob xx

vena11 Fri 06-Dec-19 08:41:43

Good Morning from a very wet Bristol.
Dragon [flowers ] I hope all goes well.
Meeting GN today hope to see you later cornergran
Thoughts as always for gillybob
Everyone else take care

gillybob Fri 06-Dec-19 08:44:50

Oh and welcome to Mamo I think you will find this is a warm and friendly place . I really don’t know where I would be without my virtual Gransnet friends who manage to keep me keeping on. smile

Grammaretto Fri 06-Dec-19 08:46:38

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. My weather report today is fine so it's lies about constant rain.
shock
Thanks for waking us up Rufus . I ordered tea and ut came, thanks.
Welcome mamo. !
Good luck Gilly and Dragonfly and all in hospital or struggling.
Yoga this morning. I suppose I should think about cards and all that but id rather just chill.

NannyJan53 Fri 06-Dec-19 08:47:02

Good Morning from a grey and damp Black Country.

Had a lovely lunch with Mum, her sister and my cousin. Mum and her sisters always meet once a month, and are going to continue even though the middle sister passed away in September. Though Mum feels it just won't be the same.

No real plans today, may have a walk into town this morning, then make soup for lunch, and tackle ironing this afternoon!

Looking forward to hearing about Marydolls journey home, as she hinted that it didn't all go smoothly yesterday!

As always, thinking of gilly

NannyJan53 Fri 06-Dec-19 08:47:58

Sorry, forgot to say welcome Mamo to this lovely good morning thread.

Yiayia4 Fri 06-Dec-19 08:50:28

Morning from a wet and windy Surrey.
Another day being nurse YiaYia,DGS still not well enough for school,know how you feel Cornergran!
Welcome Mamo,
hope today goes well Dragonfly and healing thoughts to the Gillybobs.

Have a good Friday everyone.

Alygran Fri 06-Dec-19 08:53:30

Good morning from North Yorkshire where it is dull and grey.
Off to meet a friend for coffee this morning then staying in this afternoon for the Open Reach engineer to check my phone and broadband lines. The former crackles and the latter is slow! It started when we had all the rain last week.
Going to cook lamb shanks in the slow cooker. DD2 is coming overnight so a ‘proper’ dinner is in order. I am a lazy cook on my own.
Good wishes to Dragonfly. Take care of yourself and rest after your treatment.
Thinking of those with struggles. Have a good day everyone.

Anniebach Fri 06-Dec-19 08:54:23

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Raining in Mid Wales

Nortsat46 Fri 06-Dec-19 09:04:53

Good morning all. Good thoughts to gillybob, dragonfly and all who are facing challenges today.

Went to the Opticians yesterday with partner and he managed to accrue a bill for £750 for new lenses for 3 pairs of glasses!

We stopped off at IKEA for some lunch, but before we had the opportunity to look around the store, I had an asthma attack and we had to go home. (I think my asthma episode my have been a delayed reaction to the size of the Opticians bill!)

Putting up the Christmas decorations today and (hopefully) finishing writing the Christmas cards.

Also welcome to Mamo, this is such a nice thread - it’s my favourite.

Mythbirtthedragon Fri 06-Dec-19 09:15:12

Good morning from east London, milder here but very wet start. Xmas lunch today with my ‘old’ tennis club - I’m one of the juniors of the group and one of the two still playing. Popping in after to see a friend who lives near the pub we’re going to and, hopefully having had a bit of time to recover, will be joining the Friday night tennis players at 8. Hopefully, DP won’t notice that’s the 4th time this week I’ve played tennis, but there is a trade off as he’s the self designated drinker for today’s lunch. Hope you have the best day you can.

Susan56 Fri 06-Dec-19 09:17:20

Good morning from rainy Shropshire.
DGD woke me at 3.30 asking for pudding?Papa then decamped to the spare room and DGD got in with me where she did gymnastics in her sleep until 8?
We had planned to go to the garden centre after the lunchtime school drop off but DD has just invited us over for tea so we will go straight there after school.
Welcome Mamo??
How upsetting for your friend ginny,seems somehow worse as it is Christmas.?for you both.
Sending love to Lins and dragonfly and anyone else with health or other worries.
Sending love,thoughts and prayers to gilly and hope today sees more improvement for your DH.x

Marydoll Fri 06-Dec-19 09:23:34

Good Morning all, form a positively tropical Glasgow, it's 11C.
I was a bit perturbed when I realised there was no Mick and the bold Rufus had opened up ! ??
You are doing a grand job.
I'm out of the loop a bit, so was relieved to see that Mick was actually on his Turkey and Tinsel trip!

Please forgive any errors in this post, I can't concentrate at all, I'm so tired. ?

I hope you are coping ok with your treatment, Dragonfly and best wishes for the Gillybobs, a very difficult time for everyone.
As I have lost track of the comings and goings, I'm sending my best wishes to all who are ill and feeling low.

Our last day in NY was much more pleasant, thank goodness! The snow stopped and the temp rose to 1C, still bitterly cold, but safer underfoot.
We made it to the top of the Rock in the morning, but unfortunately it was very misty, so I could barely make out the Statue of Liberty's head, let alone any other part of her body. sad.
The day we planned to see it, the weather had prevented us from doing so.
Below us, all the prep was taking place for the switching on of the Christmas tree lights in the square below. It was a pity we were going to miss it, as it looked spectacular.

I'm so glad we managed it before we went home, as I was disappointed that our plans had been thwarted by the weather. The pavements were treacherous and I was terrified of falling.

Our journey home was very stressful and I can't believe I'm back in my own home, much to my great relief.

We had arranged to be picked up at 5pm which would give us five hours to get to the airport and already having checked in online, it should have been a dawdle.

At 4.45pm, the concierge came to tell us that the area around our hotel in Times Square was gridlocked and that our driver had been stuck in traffic for and hour and still hadn't moved!! ? He would try to get to us, but couldn't guarantee getting us to the airport on time. ?

Eventually the concierge said that an airport shuttle bus was parked outside and the driver had offered to take us to the airport. It would be a bit of a crush, but we jumped at the opportunity! (Well perhaps not me, my hip had seized up!! )

The journey which is normally under an hour, took nearly two. I had visions of sleeping on the floor at JFK, having missed our flight.
We did make it, but were very stressed, the only person not anxious was our wee granddaughter! Oh to be four again. smile

Unfortunately, things did not improve. The queue at security was enormous and I was advised to remove all my medication for inspection, this is where my heart started pounding!! ? No-one even looked at it!!!!! What a relief.

We were settled on the plane, ready for take off, with the engines running, when we heard a very loud bang and the plane shook and plunged into darkness!!! ??
All hope for getting home, vanished in an instant!!
The captain explained that the auxilliary engine at the back of the plane had failed and that he would need to seek help from ground crew to obtain some auxilliary power to start the main engines.
We did eventually take off, but I was worried that something untoward would happen somewhere over the Atlantic.

There were two love birds in front, (who really needed to get a room!), with the seats reclined as far back as they could, who had to be asked three times to put their seats in the upright position, to allow us to eat, some grey mush, with a varying shades of brown in it!
The stewardess eventually refused to move until the young woman complied. Why are people so rude??

During the flight, as I was trying to sleep, I felt my leg and foot wet, then I realised that the floor was wet.
Now I was sure I hadn't had an accident. so where was it coming from?
The young lovers were sharing a large bottle of water and were oblivious to the fact that they had spilled it between the seats!!!?
When we landed, I couldn't get my boots back on and I had to lie across the seets to allow DH to put them on. He pushed and pulled to no avail. So much so, that I was nearly in the lap of the man in seated beside me.
He didn't dare say anything, as when he came on the plane, he threw his bag into his seat, missed it and bopped me with it. grin.

Well made it we did to LHR , just in time to catch the shuttle to Glasgow with ten minutes to spare.
However, I had had no morning medication and we had to leave our water at Heathrow customs, so I was getting anxious, about how I was going to manage it.
I hobbled in to WH Smith, ( my feet were so swollen, that my boots had become part of my feet). picked a bottle up and then realised that I had no Sterling!!!! Found DH, got some cash, tipped out my pills at the gate and they got stuck in my throat!.
I had survived NY, but thought I was going to die at Heathrow.
What I needed was a tall, handsome, Dr Kildare lookalike to perform the Heimlich manoeuvre. grin.
I had to settle for DH!
Over dramatic, you may say, but I was sleeping on my feet, tearful, sorry for myself and just wanted home. ?
There is no place like home!, There is no place like home!, ........??

Auntieflo Fri 06-Dec-19 09:25:42

Morning Rufus, Annie and all.
Woke up to a rainy day here, but much milder. I had another disturbed night, with odd dreams again, and what with DH coughing away for England, I feel as though I want to go back to bed.
My Christmas cards are all ready for posting today, just stuck the stamps on, and then realised I was one card missing, our DGS. I forgot that he now has his own, shared, flat, in London. How do grow up so quickly?
Shall have a quick flit round with a duster and Gtech, before going out to get our car fitted with dash cams this afternoon.
Yesterday I finished off the odds and ends of sewing that had been waiting for attention, so all the associated clutter can be cleared away.
Lovely to hear from Gillybob this morning, and looking forward to seeing her little 'Yay' girl soon. Thoughts and prayers still to *Mr Gillybob.
Dragonfly, hope all goes well with your treatment.
Have a good day one and all.

Auntieflo Fri 06-Dec-19 09:32:00

Oh Marydoll, you snuck in there whilst I was composing.
What larks. You are a tonic, glad you are safely back home, and keep on, keeping on amusing us with your adventures.

Marydoll Fri 06-Dec-19 09:32:48

I meant to say, welcome Mamo.

GrannySomerset Fri 06-Dec-19 09:34:38

Greetings from a soggy North Somerset where it is still barely light and looks as if it will rain for hours. Great to hear from the intrepid Marydoll who reminds me that, much as I envy people their travels, I am not altogether sorry that DH’s health means we won’t be tackling air travel again. Glad she is safely home for a good sleep!

Good to hear from Gilly too and hoping that things will get better sooner rather than later. Thinking too of Dragonfly and everyone else struggling.

Trip to local country market and then a supermarket run, and this afternoon must tackle the cards. Getting the labels printed off is the worst job, after that it’s a doddle.

Grammaretto Fri 06-Dec-19 09:47:59

I'm sorry to be laughing Marydoll!! grin
I have really enjoyed being an armchair traveller with your tales and photos.

We've had a thread about train travel anxiety but it is nothing compared to flying.

moggie Fri 06-Dec-19 09:48:18

Good morning Rufus & all from grey, wet Nottingham. Packing my case for New York, thermals top of the list, loved reading your posts Marydoll, glad you’re home ok after eventful journey.
Hello Mamo
Thoughts are with Gillybob & Her DH, for delirium to subside & hope you tooth settles down.
Hope all not well struggling with pain or worries or treatment feel better soon.
Have a good day everyone.

Urmstongran Fri 06-Dec-19 09:49:18

Good morning everyone from sunny Malaga where it’s a public holiday + Constitution Day. The supermarket across the road (SuperSol) is closed today but happily the bars and restaurants are all open so we won’t starve!

I’m off to the hair salon in an hour as decided to treat myself to a wash and blow wave. Lovely to have it done professionally and it looks nice for days - better than when I do it!

Thanks for opening up again this morning Rufus. I think Mick will be back tomorrow. I hope he’s enjoyed his Bournemouth holiday.

I loved reading your post Marydoll it was a joy to sit and giggle through it! Bet you’ll sleep like a top tonight - bed for you after children’s hour. ?

Glad to hear things are ticking along for your husband gillybob. I’m sure I’m not the only one here hoping he ‘just snaps out of it’.

My thoughts are with you dragonfly today - I hope the chemo does it’s magic well.

Welcome to you mano it’s lovely to welcome newbies ? is Wicklow in the RoI? I’m rubbish at geography so I will ask Google in a minute.

Right I’ll shut up. I’m rivalling Marydoll for length but not content! Hope Friday is good to us all whether we have plans or none. x

moggie Fri 06-Dec-19 09:49:57

Good photos Marydoll

Urmstongran Fri 06-Dec-19 09:49:59

*oops ... apologies mamo!

conor Fri 06-Dec-19 09:51:01

So glad you are home safely Marydoll and think your book should be called"How NOT to do NY"? I hope you enjoyed it all despite the mishaps and have made some lovely memories to treasure. Keep entertaining us as sure the saga will continue wherever you are! Xxx