Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas Cooking

(28 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Sun 08-Dec-19 05:04:26

I go the whole hog and make it all - but my Xmas Pud is not like the ones in the shops: dark and very sweet.

I make a milder, buttery one, still fruity with all the same spices, orange zest, cashew nuts and so on but only half the sugar (if that) so it's definitely a Christmas Pudding. We have it with white sauce and a splash of brandy.

I usually make mince pies with bought pastry but as I have been relieved of most of the preparatons this year by my dear dil, I'm making only a few so will also make the butter shortcrust, the only pastry I'm reasonably good at.
We'll eat them with brandy butter, which I'll also make.

And for myself I'll probably do a Delia Smith Mince Oaty slice which I've made for decades and love.

My dil has requested Mille Feuille which I made one year and has become a 'must have' .

This year with black cherries, creme pattiserie and I may or may not make and add my own Amaretto.
Depends how I feel.

I'm debating whether to make individual ones, so some can be with fresh raspberries, blueberries, apricots etc., instead of just one bigger one.

It gets harder every year for me so I'm doing it while I can tchgrin

My son (keen cook) is doing everything else, bless him.

Q: What do you say to a 6ft 7" man carrying a big knife?
A: Yes, chef!

This was written on the gift tag last year when we bought him some professonal knives.

boheminan Sun 08-Dec-19 02:11:30

As I can't sleep at the moment, I thought I'd have a peep at what the night shift are chatting about!

I've always, up until last year, made my own Christmas pud, complete with old coins wrapped in foil, and the traditional Stirring Of the Pud Ceremony! However, in all honesty I've had to admit that none of my daughters actually like Christmas pud and it usually ends up going dry, unloved and dumped. This year, sod traditiontchgrin I treated us (me) to a tiny little one-person pud, and the others can have posh ice-cream instead.

Lyndiloo Sun 08-Dec-19 01:57:57

Does anybody make their own Christmas Pudding and Mince Pies any more?

All of my friends just buy theirs now.

I still make my own Christmas Pudding (Mum's old recipe) - which takes 15 hours to boil, and along with the ingredients, costs way more than a shop-bought one. (But tastes so much better - in fact, I would boast that I make the best Christmas Pudding in the world!)

I still make, and freeze, my mince-pies ready for the 'big day'. (Home-made pastry of course!)

I couldn't do anything else - it just wouldn't seem like Christmas!