Gransnet forums

Chat

I’m sick to death of it.

(165 Posts)
NanKate Sun 08-Dec-19 20:58:39

As some of you will know I don’t like and am not very good at cooking. In fact it bores me stiff.

Tonight when I started preparing the Sunday Dinner/Supper I could have thrown it all in the bin and had toast and marmalade or a sarnie. I also love bread and cheese and a glass of wine all taking under 10 mins to prepare.

My DH has always been a hard worker and at 74 is still beavering away. If I said I didn’t feel well he would just take over and cook the supper I know. However my excuse is boredom after 48 years of cooking and laziness. I just can’t take DH away from all his list of jobs because I can’t be ar* to cook !

DH likes a traditional Sunday meal, but would eat anything I gave him. All the faff over preparing veg drives me mad, when I told DH he said he would do the veg as he doesn’t like the boxes of veg I get from M and S and cook in the microwave.

So this thread is mainly to see if anyone else finds cooking boring, dull and repetitive.

Next Sunday I will tell DH that I fancy a carvery lunch and I know he will agree. If only we could go to the carvery every week.

Finally I wish Marydoll or Kitty would come and cater for us for a week or two. I am in awe when they rustles up cakes, casseroles etc. Mary even bakes bread for breakfast ???

Sorry to moan as I know some Gransnetters would like someone to cook for and eat with and I feel rather ashamed to be so lazy.

NanKate Sun 15-Dec-19 08:20:11

Newsalert. Off to have a Carvery meal today yippee, so no feeling of veg for me ?

Sara65 Thu 12-Dec-19 19:33:32

My bread and cheese was delicious, crusty bread, creamy Brie, what could be nicer.

endlessstrife Thu 12-Dec-19 19:20:11

Oh my goodness Framilode, I just said all my anxieties around food started at my menopause, and you have given us this little gem of information! I’m off to look it up! Don’t feel so bad now?

Sara65 Thu 12-Dec-19 19:17:22

Haha, probably not, a bit tough I should think .

ReadyMeals Thu 12-Dec-19 19:00:07

Sara65, but would he be tasty?

Sara65 Thu 12-Dec-19 18:47:03

Been present wrapping since I got in, bread and cheese tonight, luckily my husband is easy going, if he wasn’t he could always cook himself!

Cabbie21 Thu 12-Dec-19 18:39:25

Thinking about what to have is daunting, so we have stuck to a routine of easy meals, but it does get very boring.
I do a roast on Sunday. It is not much work for two. We have leftovers the next day, either cold or reheated in gravy. Sometimes it will do a third day, usually as cottage pie on Wednesday, or maybe a chicken risotto. Tuesdays and Fridays are fish days, usually Cod or plaice which I cook in the microwave, with veg and mash. Thursday is cauliflower cheese. That just leaves Saturday, which might be a one dish meal with rice eg kedgeree, or stir fry, or occasionally a take away.
Once in a while I might swap one of the meals for liver and bacon or toad in the hole, about once a year. When DH is away I eat pasta or a jacket potato.
So I do cook from scratch every day, but nothing requiring skill or ingenuity. And definitely no baking.

ReadyMeals Thu 12-Dec-19 18:18:45

BBarb "I have embraced ready meals" - that was a lovely hug, thank you smile

Evie64 Wed 11-Dec-19 18:30:56

Miss Adventure, thank you, you have relieved my guilt
to the extent that I might buy some more! And your right, no lumps and taste lovely as opposed to that awful Smash which was my "go to" when I first in a flat share. The only good thing about it was the advert with the little aliens laughing.

Bbarb Wed 11-Dec-19 17:58:11

I have embraced ready meals and frozen veg and puddings.

GrannySomerset Wed 11-Dec-19 17:39:51

Maggiemaybe you sound to have the perfect arrangement in the kitchen. Too late to train DH even if his health allowed. As DD points out, I’ve had him for 57 years so I can’t blame his mother - must be my own fault!

Maggiemaybe Wed 11-Dec-19 15:44:47

I'm lucky. After 40 years of me being chief cook, DH took over all the catering duties when we retired. Until then he'd only ever done the odd full English on a weekend. So far so good - he's still enjoying it and after 5 years the novelty hasn't worn off.

He hasn't got into cooking for more than two people, so I'm still in charge when we have family/friends over, and I still do the odd bit of baking, which he hasn't attempted yet. That's enough for me!

SunnySusie Tue 10-Dec-19 20:28:44

Loathe and hate cooking. I did all the meals when the kids were growing up, plus dinner parties, baking fancy cakes - the lot. Now I can hardly bear to be in the kitchen. I would much prefer to live on biscuits, but in the interests of my health I have worked out some staple 'dishes' taking about ten minutes in total which include protein, carbs and fresh veg. Sardines on toasted wholegrain bread with steamed curly kale is a typical example. Or a plate of brown basamati rice from a microwive pouch with tinned tuna and frozen peas. Maybe lentil pasta, which cooks in nine minutes, with the tuna and steamed brocolli. Mushroom omlette with quinoa and asparagus. You get the picture.

EmilyHarburn Tue 10-Dec-19 12:02:03

I don't like cooking day in and day out. So I try to use my slow cooker and freeze two portions so that then they can just be reheated. I am happy to roast root vegetables and have found some lovely beef pies in the frozen section of Aldi. there are 4 in a packet, I put all of them them in the tray with the roast veg and make some gravy from powder and get a lovely hot meal. the two left over I heat in the microwave a day later with the rest of the gravy and roast veg.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 10-Dec-19 10:21:00

I'm less interested in cooking now. My dear late husband had swallowing difficulties for months before he passed away and so it was soup, soup and more soup until that became impossible.
I'm less adventurous and stick to quick basics and break out at weekends. That often means being self indulgent with instant bad stuff. My weight is fairly stable but wobbles a bit by a few pounds. I used to love cooking but not now.

Purplepoppies Tue 10-Dec-19 06:01:01

When I have people to cook for I'm in my element. I'm definitely a feeder.... my eldest dgd (8) has said that my xmas dinner is the best thing about xmas!! Bless her.
Her mum can cook, but we all do things differently don't we.
I live alone, if I cook for myself once a week it's a miracle ?. I'm also in the cba camp . The up side of this is I'm losing weight so alls well ?

Keepsmiling467 Tue 10-Dec-19 01:42:48

Totally agree. Have cooked in the past for the growing family from scratch but find cooking a total waste of time. Who wants to spend hours over a hot stove to see your efforts demolished in less than half an hour ? Nowadays, it’s the slow cooker for meat, frozen veg, ready made mash and aunt Bessie’s Yorkshire puddings.

Rielly62 Tue 10-Dec-19 00:10:54

I'm glad it's not just me. I hate having to come up with something to cook and eat every night. Mr R is Ill, has never cooked a meal, and never will.
I would be happy with toast and marmalade, or cheese and crackers many days, but he expects a cooked meal every night.
He does get a takeaway every week, (sometimes twice) to give me a break so I can't really complain.
Choosing something to have and preparing and cooking it just seems such a chore.

Grannyflower Mon 09-Dec-19 23:08:43

Oh I’m with all of you who don’t enjoy cooking. Done it for 44 years of marriage and still doing it. DH does not cook but watches endless cookery programmes so can advise me ?‍♀️ Trouble is my greatest hate is cooking for others but DH has set up about 6 days worth of entertaining his family and friends. He tells me to “just go to well down frozen food shop! I’m so stressed at the thought I’ve come out in a rash ?

MissAdventure Mon 09-Dec-19 21:45:19

Frozen mash is great! Never lumpy, either.

Saetana Mon 09-Dec-19 21:26:59

I detest cooking but do most of it due to husband's health (and my fear of the abominable mess he leaves in the kitchen). Convenience is king in this house and if we want a roast dinner - barring Christmas when we both bite the bullet - we go for a pub lunch instead. I'm not a terrible cook, and nor is my husband, but we are both indifferent cooks and have never really enjoyed it - its a case of needs must for both of us.

Evie64 Mon 09-Dec-19 20:53:15

I am going to admit to a dirty secret. blush Here goes. One of our favourite meals is a fish pie. Haven't been feeling too great lately and after being at work really couldn't face it. Stopped at the supermarket on the way home. Bought microwavable mash!!! Yes, I know, outrageous innit? Anyways, microwaved 2 cod fillets, flung them in the dish, added half a bag of frozen prawns defrosted under the hot tap, poured in tub of long life single cream, whacked MW mash on top, grated some cheese. Stuck it in the oven for 30 mins, sorted! Have to say it was delicious, but I'm still ashamed about the frozen mash potato. wink

Lizbethann55 Mon 09-Dec-19 20:32:41

Just another thought. Have you tried Wiltshire Farm Foods? A huge choice, frozen , delivered and ready to cook. Or those recipe boxes which are all the rage just now.

Lizbethann55 Mon 09-Dec-19 20:30:38

I don't particularly mind cooking, though I wouldn't go so far as to say I like it. I do it because I have no choice. My DH doesn't cook, ever. I do get depressed by the knowledge that absolutely everything I eat, I have cooked myself. I would adore my DH to cook me dinner one night. Especially as he gets in from work at 4.00 and I don't even finish til 6.00. But what I really hate is being the one who decides what we will eat. That is the worst thing.

Lilyflower Mon 09-Dec-19 19:43:21

I love baking and cooking properly from scratch so I always do nice things at the weekend.

However, when the OH was out 12 hours a day working and I was teaching full time I used to cook convenience food in the week so that, if he was late and the food spoiled, I would not be emotionally ‘invested’ and upset. Now he is only working part time and nearby we stick to this pattern as it makes for lighter meals in the week.

On my own I am a bit picky and lazy. For lunch I have a Weetabix and an Activia yogurt as there is no one to tell me not to!