Gransnet forums

Chat

Sprouts!

(43 Posts)
nanasam Mon 09-Dec-19 12:05:17

Anyone got their sprouts on yet? Started mine this morning!

Septimia Mon 09-Dec-19 17:41:43

I hated sprouts as a child (so can't blame DGD for not liking them). Love them now IF they're not overcooked (maybe I shouldn't start them until next week grin). Nice stir-fried, too.

Callistemon Mon 09-Dec-19 17:42:33

When I become PM I'm going to make it law that everyone has to eat at least one sprout on Christmas Day.

MamaCaz Tue 10-Dec-19 09:47:20

Namsnanny Mon 09-Dec-19 16:07:39
MamaCaz … there's a lot of 'baby' sprouts about at the mo!

I had a good look at my plants a few days ago, and found nothing fit to eat at all, not even babies. sad

There are plenty of loose leaves but aphids made those inedible before the cold weather arrived.
In the past, I have found that nearly all of the first 'sprouts' are blown in this way, but the later ones develop properly, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's a later variety than I've grown before, so hopefully there's still time.

I've successfully grown sprouts for 20 years, but this is looking like the second year in a row that I won't have any!

In the past, when they were plentiful, I used them for lots of things, such as a replacement for cabbage in coleslaw, and in soups and stews. I miss them!

After all this talk of them, I will have to bite the bullet and buy some when I next go shopping grin

EllanVannin Tue 10-Dec-19 10:10:40

I like sprouts and all veg as long as they're cooked properly. Half done ( crunchy ) don't appeal to me at all besides sticking in a lump in your gizzard.
Fresh young sprouts are delicious. Sprout tops are nice too.

sodapop Tue 10-Dec-19 13:31:02

Like Whitewave I love all the winter veg, delicious stews, roasted veg etc. Sprouts are a real favourite but I don't like them fancied up, no bacon or chestnuts, just lightly cooked. My husband really wants to make them cheffy but not for me.

BradfordLass72 Wed 11-Dec-19 06:42:18

My favourite way of eating sprouts used to be mashed on buttered bread and covered with generous dusting of white pepper. I am drooling at the very thought.

Lisagran {grin]

BradfordLass72 Wed 11-Dec-19 06:49:56

PS: Just looked at our supermarket list as I'd never heard of tinned or frozen Brussels sprouts before.
Just one entry - for frozen!

Plenty mung, oat and sango sprouts though.
I like bean sprouts in a stir-fry.

JenniferEccles Wed 11-Dec-19 08:03:14

Another sprouts fan here although I always associate them with the start of winter when they appear in the shops.

It’s said that they are better after frosty weather so by now they are at their best.

Nortsat46 Wed 11-Dec-19 08:29:27

We both really like sprouts, no chestnuts, no bacon, just plenty of gravy.

BBC Science Focus magazine advises that it could be your genes that determine your feelings about these controversial vegetables. A 2011 study by Cornwall College found that sprouts contain a chemical, similar to phenylthiocarbamide, which only tastes bitter to people who have a variation of a certain gene.

The research found that around 50 per cent of the world’s population have a mutation on this gene. The lucky half don’t taste the bitterness usually associated with sprouts, and therefore like them a whole lot more than everyone else.

sodapop Wed 11-Dec-19 08:32:45

Same here Nortsat46 has to be plenty of gravy.
Here in France we can get sprout soup but that's a step too far.

Fennel Wed 11-Dec-19 12:16:16

I haven't had sprouts for years - I'm going to buy some tomorrow.
I used to cut out the hard centre before cooking, so they're like tiny cabbages.

whywhywhy Wed 11-Dec-19 13:40:25

Love sprouts with lots of lovely gravy, yum. x

midgey Wed 11-Dec-19 14:10:08

Shredded sprouts are delicious!

AllotmentLil Wed 11-Dec-19 22:13:45

It’s a tradition with us that everybody has to eat one sprout on Christmas Day. DH and DGD love them and have a proper sized portion.

gulligranny Wed 11-Dec-19 22:36:44

We love them, cooked enough but with a bit of bite. Then tossed in some melted butter with a good rasp of nutmeg. Food of the gods.

Pittcity Fri 13-Dec-19 17:33:01

I fancy some of these...

craftyone Fri 13-Dec-19 18:08:08

only me and I just received a kg of sprouts, ok I put them in a green bag and they will last for quite a while, at least until the holiday is over. Modern sprouts are so nice