Gransnet forums

Chat

The Parcel

(111 Posts)
Chewbacca Wed 11-Dec-19 19:03:37

Last Saturday, I was asked to take in a parcel for a neighbour across the road. I was happy to do so and watched as the delivery driver made out a card for them, telling them where their parcel was. I watched out for them all day Saturday, but there was no sign of them being in. On Sunday, I went across with the parcel and knocked on their door. Twice. Lights were on and I could see a tv flickering, but no one answered the door. On Monday I was out all day but I went across again on Monday night and tried again. No answer. On Tuesday, I wrote a note, telling them that I had their parcel and to knock on my door to collect it. I also popped a Christmas card through their door with the note. No response. Went again this evening; lights on, tv flickering but still no answer.

What on earth do I do? I'm out at work most days of the week, as they are, but surely they must have seen the note and want to retrieve their ruddy huge parcel that's cluttering up my hall? confused

Marydoll Wed 11-Dec-19 23:47:06

Chewy, you will just have to camp on their doorstep and wait for them to come in or go out! I hope you are well wrapped up! grin

Kalu Wed 11-Dec-19 23:58:56

I would be charging them a storage fee! ??

Willow500 Thu 12-Dec-19 07:09:55

I'd stick it somewhere out of the way and ignore it - if they want it they'll come for it eventually. I often take parcels in for both sets of neighbours who always come round the same night for it - equally they'll take mine in if I'm out. It's very inconvenient of yours not to collect but as has been said they may well be away - have you seen their car on a night?

BradfordLass72 Thu 12-Dec-19 07:43:16

Namnanny I am indeed.
I often used to go walkabout when I needed to go bush and get away by myself, or more accurately, from society.

Now housebound a lot of the time, it takes all my strength of will not to go womba. grin.

mumofmadboys Thu 12-Dec-19 07:43:40

I agree with Willow. Put it somewhere out of the way and await them collecting it.

Yehbutnobut Thu 12-Dec-19 08:06:57

Yes, shove it in your spare bedroom and forget it.

harrigran Thu 12-Dec-19 09:19:18

We have a young neighbour who regularly waits a week before collecting parcels. I think the tenants must leave a note for the next newcomer in next door property because all the tenants have used us in the same way. One chap got so cheeky we had to go to the letting agent to get it stopped. One Christmas whilst having our house rebuilt he had a bicycle, a large screen TV and live fish delivered ?

Worthingpatchworker Thu 12-Dec-19 11:35:30

It is very good of you to take the parcel in.
Don’t let your imagination conjure up too many feelings. They may have gone away for a short while and left the lights and tv on timers.
Maybe check with other neighbours...they may know something, or may be able to take the parcel in for you.
I’m sure it will sort and they aren’t being ignorant or rude.

Dillyduck Thu 12-Dec-19 11:36:31

Who delivered it? Is there a return address? I'd ring them up and return it to sender!

ReadyMeals Thu 12-Dec-19 11:41:03

I am usually happy to take parcels for my neighbors, but these days I have two rules. 1) there is one particular neighbor I won't take a parcel for since they take days to collect for no good reason, and 2) I don't take anything large enough to make my narrow hallway congested. In your case, OP, I'd refuse future parcels for that particular neighbor.

ReadyMeals Thu 12-Dec-19 11:42:03

NB you can't just dispose of it, that would be theft.

Bald1 Thu 12-Dec-19 11:42:10

I'd pop over with a friend ( as a witness) then leave the parcel on the doorstep. Push a note through the letterbox saying you've tried several times to deliver it but can't keep the parcel any longer.

jaylucy Thu 12-Dec-19 11:43:25

I had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago.
Neighbour used to keep odd hours when at home (often up until the early hours so used to stay in bed often until lunchtime- she was retired) So tried knocking on her door whenever the lounge light was on and she wouldn't answer her door. Put a note through the door 3x, her grandson told her I had the parcel and even spoke to her as she was about to go out - ("hang on a minute I have a parcel that I took in for you") but when I got back to where she'd parked, she had driven off!
Left a message on her answer phone asking her to make sure that she collected it by a certain date, still lumbered with a large box in my hallway! I finally stuck a note on her car windscreen telling her that if she didn't collect it, the parcel would be disposed of at the tip - found the note screwed up in a ball and thrown onto her footpath so as this had been going on for 3 months by now , next time we went to the tip, the parcel came too! One thing that always has bothered me - just what was in that parcel ?????
PS the neighbour concerned stopped speaking to me, no longer popped a Christmas card through my door and when I mentioned it to another neighbour, she said she had been told it was because that I had taken in a parcel and not passed it on to her! No reason why she couldn't have actually come and asked for it!!!

Margs Thu 12-Dec-19 11:46:35

You are not their servant - dump the said parcel on the doorstep and to hell with the weather!

Not your responsibility.....they're just ignorant.

ReadyMeals Thu 12-Dec-19 11:49:45

You can't, Margs. The law says once you have accepted post or a parcel you are legally responsible for looking after it until either collected or you have given legally compliant notice of disposal which I think has to be at least two weeks from notification.

jean6enie Thu 12-Dec-19 11:54:36

Blimey, have to say I’m very thankful for my lovely neighbours - a lot of you sound dreadful!

Charleygirl5 Thu 12-Dec-19 11:54:42

I agree with Dillyduck return to sender but do not pay anything.

jannxxx Thu 12-Dec-19 12:03:43

maybe try one more time knock really hard and long, i had the same prob last month and they just never heard me at the door, then put a note in saying parcel will be gone by say monday if its not collected,

BusterTank Thu 12-Dec-19 12:04:48

Are you sure they are there and the lights and television are not on timers , so people think they are there . You have done your bit and put a note through the door . If they don't come and collect it , you have gained yourself an early Christmas present .

Want2Help Thu 12-Dec-19 12:11:15

IMO these delivery people offload parcels onto neighbours far too readily. We've had situations for instance where we've been in and rather than coming up our steep drive, they've taken them to our neighbour. We've also had the problem OP is talking about ... so frustrating as we also didn't get any acknowledgement from neighbour for the trouble we went to (to ensure she got her parcel). We now refuse to take in anyone's parcels, they're like 'hot potatoes' in my opinion.

Molly10 Thu 12-Dec-19 12:12:41

Yes, I did wonder if they were ill but you say they are only in their 30's so maybe not. I think a lot of the responses are harsh. Having said that I regularly take parcels in for neighbours and recently did so for a new youngish couple. I had the parcel for a few days and knocked a couple of times at various times, including evening. The young lady came over for the parcel so I passed it to her with a smile and said in passing with no malice that I had popped over a couple of times. She responded rather haughtily saying well we are at work all day. My thoughts after I shut the door were well make other arrangements if you are that ungrateful.

I think I would tape a note to the front door so it is unmissable stating you have their parcel and could they kindly collect it straight away as you will not be available for a while after that time.

Notright Thu 12-Dec-19 12:14:01

Chewbacca - The best thing is to contact the deliveries company and ask them to collect it.
Do you not see comings and goings of the people who live there?
All else fails, put it in a large plastic bag and leave it on their doorstep, make sure you put a note through the door saying you have done so, in case it goes missing. I had a parcel go missing recently, for nearly three months, finally I discovered from Royal Mail that it had been delivered to the wrong address. The lady had kept it for three months, unopened, because she did not know what else to do. Of course she could have returned it to the Post Office, but I got my parcel at last. Good Luck, don't fret about it. Put it in an out shed, you're not responsible for it.

Smileless2012 Thu 12-Dec-19 12:17:15

Just one more note Chewy then put it somewhere safe and hope it doesn't contain anything perishable!!

JonesKpj000 Thu 12-Dec-19 12:21:59

I had exactly the same problem so in the end just dumped by their front door telling them beforehand that if they didn't collect within 48 hours it would be placed on doorstep. I refused to take anymore parcels after another neighbour failed to collect. I walked around with it and guess what, he grunted, took it off me and closed the door like I was the delivery man. Both were rented properties and I guess neither cared about their neighbours as they moved on. So my golden rule is that unless they are friendly neighbours that I know well, I wouldn't bother accepting. It's so rude and inconsiderate.

Jolly27 Thu 12-Dec-19 12:24:01

I too very kindly took parcels in for neighbour's until like you had to keep trying to get them to collect then no thanks after a mountain of packages I had enough told delivery drivers sorry no more still kept coming so in the had to put sign on my door, but what upset me was and is why do neighbour's order so much yet never stay home or make arrangements just prosume it's everyone else's responsibility to be their parcels drop off point really selfish attitude, in this case you have gone out of your way to help maybe just contact sender to arrange return and truly don't accept anymore as you don't need your life controlling this way