Gransnet forums

Chat

Amusing surnames lighthearted post

(196 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 15-Dec-19 23:22:13

I will start by apologising as don’t want to upset anyone, it’s really a lighthearted post, but I have to smile when I hear certain surnames, in the town where I grew up we had some funny ones namely lol excuse the pun, Gotobed. Bearcock . Bowcock. Babcock, Higginbottom .the funniest was two males one was Ivor Wright and the other Ivor Whitehead honest to god it’s true,

DillytheGardener Fri 20-Dec-19 01:48:43

These have all made me laugh. When I was a kid there was a butchers shop up the road and the owner was called Mr Butcher. Some of my classmates (boys of course) would prank call him and clash knives together and cry ‘butcher’. I think it was well before tracking calls as the two trouble makers never seemed to get caught.

BradfordLass72 Fri 20-Dec-19 04:40:52

We have a lady in our group - Mihi Tutae. She's delightful and doesn't deserve a surname like that.

Gemini1789 Sat 21-Dec-19 23:04:25

Shabi and Grimes on Sky Press Preview tonight.

BradfordLass72 Sun 22-Dec-19 04:53:24

Sheesh, I forgot to give a translation. hmm

It could mean 'Thanks, Poo.'
In fact, as in English, a Maori word can have many meanings, so it's not as bad as it first appears.

I've just been introduced to a Miss Susan Tiplady. Not hilarious but a little bit amusing because she's a rubbish truck driver smile

CH51 Sun 22-Dec-19 06:47:57

Two dentists in the same practice called Mr Lamb and Mr Butcher; you can guess which had more patients.

grannypiper Sun 22-Dec-19 08:27:10

A friends relative is called Wayne king and my doctor in Northern Ireland was called Annette Curtain

vinasol Sun 22-Dec-19 09:46:33

In primary school we had a headmaster and headmistress Mr. Wright and Miss Smart.

Our local hospital had a consultant orthopaedic surgeon called Mr. Cartilidge.

JoyBloggs Sun 22-Dec-19 16:39:25

I know a school where there used to be a married couple on the staff, Mr and Mrs Trainer. Known by the pupils as 'the pair of trainers'.

JoyBloggs Sun 22-Dec-19 16:48:42

We once had a milkman called Mr Christmas. I wonder if he had any relatives who joined the priesthood and become 'Father Christmas'...

vinasol Sun 22-Dec-19 16:57:56

Sorry to sound a bit rude, but we had a local football club and the man who ran it was called Willie Pullar.

merlotgran Sun 22-Dec-19 17:06:21

Gotobed is a local name as is Badcock!

When I was a teenager our vicar was Rev Shufflebotham and we had a Doctor Champion who was nicknamed, Champion the Wonder Horse grin

I once taught twins called Albert and Victoria Hall. I used to have to take a deep breath when taking the register and NOT laugh.

Carillion01 Sun 22-Dec-19 17:18:34

Hi Sandy,

Just taking time before the holiday season kicks in to send you and yours wishes for a happy and peaceful Christmas.

It goes without saying, if you are in touch with The Scarlet Pimpernel, please send my wishes to her also. Things are just not the same without the anarchy she and you could create.

Joyeux Noel from a soggy Brittany!

Cath xx

NanaElaine Mon 23-Dec-19 07:40:21

My dads friend was called David Davies, and my SIL maiden name was Waters her brother is called Blue!.
When I worked as a dental nurse we had a lady patient called Sidebottom, who insisted it was pronounced
Sid e botham!

Smurf52 Tue 24-Dec-19 00:04:47

I remember a friend telling me her neighbour had had a baby boy they had named Scott. Unfortunately their surname was Stuck!

MissAdventure Tue 24-Dec-19 01:10:23

I had a friend named Beverley Hills. smile
I thought it was quite nice, but I'm not sure I'd want it to be my name.

Coolgran65 Tue 24-Dec-19 02:06:56

One of my boyfriends had the surname Mountain. Her was a nice guy but fickle that I was I didn't fancy the surname Mountain. We became good friends.

MissAdventure Tue 24-Dec-19 02:16:50

Ooh I wouldn't want to be a Mountain!

I'm too fat to be called that.

Cheers Tue 24-Dec-19 15:58:22

Hello group
I really enjoyed the nice names, which made me to join the group!
Would like to mention name of an Indian Film star: Madhuri Dikshit

vinasol Tue 24-Dec-19 16:15:45

My son had a friend in school called Omar Shariff.

Esspee Tue 24-Dec-19 16:53:10

When we lived in the Caribbean our paediatrician was a Dr. Bratt!