Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(53 Posts)
12Michael Thu 19-Dec-19 06:13:10

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a wet start here in Brackley this morning, enjoyed seeing Motown at Oxford for the 6th and final time , spanned over 3 years .
Today, my normal Bus trips out to Bicester and Buckingham and usual café shops, for me.
Whilst in Oxford last night I did a walk through of the xmas market and it was pricy , but also some of the places I have eaten in the past had closed.
Mick

NfkDumpling Fri 20-Dec-19 13:07:06

Yes he did! They are now all sparkling - in the rain. All my fault. Flooding all over the south of England because I cleaned my windows (although we’ve not got much flooding here in the East - yet).

Rufus2 Fri 20-Dec-19 12:20:46

Now off to clean the windows
Nfk Are you still cleaning windows? George Formby must have taught you well when he lived close by! tchgrin

Marydoll Thu 19-Dec-19 15:31:07

Susan, I have just seen your post about someone in the pharmacy being responsible for "specials".

The pharmacy staff are fantastic and bend over backwards to help me. It's the some, (not all) of the surgery staff, who are incompetent.
The young pharmacist is so supportive and said last night thatshe would order the medication in advance, without the prescription, so that I would hopefully get it today.
They were delighted with the goodies I brought in to thank them.

I phoned the surgery again this morning and by chance the senior receptionist answered. I taught all her children and she went out of her way to sort it out, albeit eight days late.
In future I have to phone her personally and she will deal with the special requests.

What upset me yesterday was, I was phoning from the hospital in the middle of the clinic, trying to sort things and the doctor's receptionist implied that I just thought I had ordered it. I'm not that forgetful.... yet!
Anyway, I'm off out again to pick up DGD after her nursery Christmas party and a visit from Santa. I will probably have to peel off the ceiling, she will be as high as a kite!! grin

NfkDumpling Thu 19-Dec-19 13:48:13

Just popped on to see how Mr G is and pleased to hear he’s doing so well - even if Mrs G isn’t too good in the tooth department. Can you not have a falsey Gilly?

Now off to clean the windows while the sun is shining (yes, really, the sun is shining!)

Megs36 Thu 19-Dec-19 12:02:05

PS I had a stroke in the middle of all this, luckily fairly mild!!!!

Megs36 Thu 19-Dec-19 11:56:22

So pleased to hear Gilly , that your husband is back with you and hoping things will start to improve, also hope your dental problem is getting better.
Sorry your NHS experiences have been so awful, just had to say we must have been luckier, Four years ago my other half got a diagnosis of lung cancer, then intensive radiotherapy, leading to fibrosis and COPD, living with that AND needed a

pace maker , THEN this year collapsed lung and plurodeseis (don’t ask,)Finally home with catheter. But we did have four weeks carers and district nurses. Mostly treated everywhere with kindness and dignity and lots of pills! During all this told he
has an aortic aneurism so monitored for that. He sees various
doctors on a fairly regular basis so hope for the best.
Really hope things will get better for you both, Gilly, and you can start to relax and get a bit of happiness now.

EllanVannin Thu 19-Dec-19 11:54:29

I thank you all for your kind sentiments, as has been mentioned I think it's a culmination of " family disasters " and of course getting things right for Christmas.

Here was I singing the praises of Ebay and it decided to suffer a huge server problem and as a consequence I've had to do a bit of rethinking re. presents as it doesn't recognise my login.

I needn't have worried about my INR as it was spot on so it is all in the mind and not the body, so come next year I'll make an appointment with a GP ( 3rd year of seeing one ) and see if I can't sort myself out.

I'm loving the news from the Gillybobs . There's no place like home at a time like this.
Can't you get some cardboard bottles for Mr G to use during the night to save having to get up ?

CaroleAnne Thu 19-Dec-19 10:52:00

Oh Kitty. What a lovely story. I still love the Gay Gordon's if ever I have the opportunity. Not often enough now though.
We still manage to shuffle along together on the dance floor..
Hope that you all enjoy the last few days of whatever you are doing before the 25th.
We have decided to book in at a hotel about a couple of miles away this year. Hopefully our son and daughter in law are joining us on boxing day.
Have a pleasant day everyone and for those who are unwell keep warm.thanks

gillybob Thu 19-Dec-19 10:46:21

In the last 3 months I have seen the very best and the worst of the NHS dragonfly .

Worst being an A&E wait of 7+ hours before being seen by anyone with my DH who was desperately ill .

Worst the fact that a hospital acquired infection put him on life support for over 2 months.

Worst being the ward he was on before coming home.

Best being the devoted care he received on the ICU .

Nannylovesshopping Thu 19-Dec-19 10:36:39

Legs55you mentioning Newton Abbot has bought back so many memories, my grandparents lived in NA all their lives, l spent many happy times there, my GF used to take me to the cattle market, and always said, don’t move, as the selling started, we might inadvertently buy a cow, gran won’t be very pleased, where will we put it! Is the covered food, veg and flower market still there? Such happy days?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Dec-19 10:30:25

EV take things easy today please flowers

Onwards and upwards gillybob flowers

Legs55 Thu 19-Dec-19 10:27:50

Good morning all from grey, uninspiring Devon, at least it's not raining for now Flood alerts eerywhere, I need to go into Newton Abbot today but one way there are roadworks, the other way the road was closed last night due to flooding, looks like it's the long way round.

First time on here for ages as I haven't been getting GN emails, I'm with BT Mail & there's been problems yes I've been checking my spam mails every day

Looking forward to Christmas meal with my family on Sunday, Christmas Day will be enjoying opening presents with DGSs & Buffet Lunch, so much more relaxed.

In case I don't receive any more GN emails before Christmas may I wish you all a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year. My thoughts are with those who have health problems or family members who are ill flowers

dragonfly46 Thu 19-Dec-19 10:25:56

Good morning from an almost sunny Leicestershire,
Late this morning as I rang the hospital in a panic but they reassured me and all is now well. My experience of the NHS is wonderful!!
Although I am sad to say Gilly will not agree. I am so pleased your DH is building up his strength. I hope the bladder nurse can offer solutions and your tooth is fixed today.

Oh Ellen sorry to hear you spent the night in hospital. You have so much on your mind at the moment it is not surprising.

Vena11 I hope your meeting with the oncologist goes well and Ann I hope you have a better night tonight.

Just three more presents to wrap, one fish pie in the freezer so nearly ready. Just need to pick up the turkey etc on Sunday!

moggie Thu 19-Dec-19 10:17:36

Hope you’re feeling better Ellen flowers

Urmstongran Thu 19-Dec-19 09:55:22

Good morning everyone from sunny South Manchester. Mind you it’s damp (rained in the night obv) and there are grey clouds over yonder.

Well done gillybob your tenacity has paid off. Such a milestone to be home together for Christmas. A few weeks ago you wouldn’t have believed it possible. Have you tried ringing Age Concern? I’m wondering if a commode in the bedroom might be less exhausting?

Oh poor you EV you will be exhausted today, albeit relieved. I hazard a guess the extra stress in the past few weeks has played a part in this episode. Pop these in water ? from me. x

‘It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!’ ??

My cards are winging their way around the U.K. FINALLY got them posted yesterday! Better late than never.

At least I don’t have to wash a Waterford Crystal chandelier!! Bluddy hell that sounds GORGEOUS though .... and right POSH!

Hope Thursday is good to us all whether we have plans or (like me - aka Lazygran) none. x

Susan56 Thu 19-Dec-19 09:54:30

A late good morning from Shropshire where the sun is shining.
DGD stayed last night so we have school drop off at lunchtime then going to our daughters for the couple of hours DGD is at school then another Santa experience and tea out.
Gilly, glad that last night went well,you are both doing so well.Hope you get the pads sorted.
Mary,when I worked in pharmacy,we had a dispenser in charge of ordering specials.Maybe ask if they have anyone in charge of specials and ask if you can deal directly with them.There is paperwork that has to be kept and recorded so they should have a better system in place.I really hope you get it sorted today.
Sending good wishes to all dealing with health and family worries.
Ellan hope you feel better as the day goes on?

vena11 Thu 19-Dec-19 09:43:48

Good Morning all from Bristol its dry at the moment.
Hairdresser for me today and then a hospital appointment with the oncologist.
Ellenvanninflowers
I hope Gillybob DH had a good night.
I hope everyone else has a good day.

gillybob Thu 19-Dec-19 09:39:33

Good morning from a dark and damp North East coast.

Back to the dentist this afternoon . Still on 2 kinds of antibiotics with not a lot of improvement unfortunately. If it weren’t my front tooth I would have had it pulled long before now as the constant throbbing is driving me mad.

DH had quite a good night considering although we were up and down to the loo about a million times, which is how it will be I think as he still needs another 2 procedures..... which he cannot have until the anaesthetist is happy to proceed which they say will be months away yet.

I can’t imagine my poor man will be overly keen to have an operation ever again after what he has been through. Wish they had done it last spring as was originally planned . But it kept getting cancelled and the rest as they say, is history.

Anyway he ate another hearty supper of mixed omelette (I am giving him exactly what he fancies ) and even managed a slice of butter bread too. Tonight is his favourite “Gino D’ Acampo” Bolognese which I made last night . I make a huge batch and freeze some and send some over for DD and Evie too .

The physio was amazed he made it upstairs (and down again) . I think she underestimated how very determined he is to get better. She said she will not come again unless I need her to.

Bladder nurse today which will be interesting as not sure if anything can be done while he is waiting for his operations . Hoping she can arrange a prescription for pads though as they are hugely expensive .

So sorry to read of your overnight rush to hospital EllenVannin hope you are feeling better today, although you will no doubt be shattered. flowers

To everyone else feeling down, sad or poorly I hope things get better soon and we can all have a little sunshine in our lives.

Wishing everyone a good Thursday.

Love Gilly xx

BlueSapphire Thu 19-Dec-19 09:25:27

Good morning from yet another dull and damp day in Northampton. But yesterday was nice and sunny, so suppose I can't complain too much. Managed to get out for my walking group, only 4 of us yesterday, but a lovely walk in the forest; I just needed to be out in the fresh air.
Had coffee and mince pie in the garden centre afterwards, followed by a mooch around the store.
I could not resist a bright and colourful Christmas doormat! Wishing I had bought one for the back door as well now, at only £3.99 each a bargain.

Out to neighbours last night for drinks and nibbles, which was most enjoyable; didn't get back till 1 o'clock this morning! Time flies when you're enjoying yourself!

Sainsbury's delivery later this morning, then ballet class this afternoon. Our teacher has had us dancing to the Nutcracker music the last couple of weeks; I think I am more like the Ugly Duckling than a Sugar Plum Fairy!
Then pick up DGD from school for the last time this term.

Hope all goes well for everyone today.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 19-Dec-19 09:23:22

Morning all from a damp and dreary South Notts. Am planning a quiet day. Yesterday I went to the hairdresser and when home got some sewing done - a patchwork Christmas tablecloth which had been on the back burner for a very long time. Sometimes you just run out of steam, don't you?
Am thrilled to hear that Mr Gillybob is home and hope for a good recovery. Best wishes to all those with worries.

Willynilly Thu 19-Dec-19 09:20:27

Good morning one and all. All hell breaks loose DGDs arrive today, so it's going to be a busy one.
Ellen hope you feel better today. My mother suffered from A Fib for years until they fitted a dual pacemaker. She's still going strong.
For those of you who are not well or are not sleeping well, I hope you can rest today.
Take care folks.

GrannySomerset Thu 19-Dec-19 09:18:12

EV - what a frightening night, but glad the NHS did so well for you. Hope today sees steady improvement, and also for Gilly and Mr Gilly.

Fine in North Somerset after a wet and wild evening and night. Guests for lunch so need to get started rather than enjoying GN, so hope we all have a reasonable day.

Bestgranny Thu 19-Dec-19 09:17:52

I think I have only posted once , in the past week & can’t believe I have been in California way over a week , but I have to say I was in a funk of jetlag & living Large , but hope all my friends gt will understand, it’s a different world out here & the time deference is 8 hrs so if I want to post at night I can be quite tired. We that’s Oh & I do lots of things during the day one of the things we did today was clean our DD Waterford crystal chandelier in preparation for a party on Sunday night having done that we headed on down pacific coast highway to Malibu for lunch with two dogs in tow , this is what dreams are made of. We had videos from home ( Ireland) from our son showing us our Dgd in the nativity school play she was amazing, a star ⭐️ in the making , but sure we all feel the same about our gc & so we should. Anyway I have to come to an end but before I do I have to say how delighted I was to learn that that Mrs gilly finally got to take her beloved Hb home where he will get all the love & support he needs to get back to full health, Mrs gilly you are an amazing woman give yourself a clap on the back . G/ night from California.

Feelingmyage55 Thu 19-Dec-19 09:10:53

EllenVannin ?☕️

Feelingmyage55 Thu 19-Dec-19 09:09:31

A good morning from a very wet and windy north of Scotland. A very noisy night as the rain/sleet hammered against the windows and the water was gushing down the gutters in a black stream. Hope gillybob is finding her way. It will take a few days to find a rhythm but what a trooper she is/you are. Take care all.