Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(57 Posts)
12Michael Sat 21-Dec-19 06:10:27

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark here in Brackley this morning and its raining as well , nothing unusual for the past few days.
Will do my last bus trips out today to Bicester going via Buckingham usual coffee and smalls hops.
With the weather I doubt there will be a flea market in Buckingham today.
Last night , I watched thee original "Italian Job " its a rerelease as its 50 years old film wise.
Mick

NanKate Sat 21-Dec-19 06:27:03

Morning Mick and All.

Awake at silly o’clock but have now got my morning cuppa and IPad so normality has returned.

The Italian Job, great film Mick however Some Like it Hot is still my favourite from those times.

Last minute shopping to do. I suspect the town will be heaving.

Hoping for continuing improving news from the Gillybobs.

Greyduster Sat 21-Dec-19 06:33:42

Good morning from a wet and wild Cornwall. Still dark here but we had the mother and father of all rainstorms in the middle of the night and it is gearing up to be a horrible day. But GS is here so what else do I need? (Ask me at the end of the week and the answer will probably be another week lying down in a dark room!!). Have a good day folks.

kittylester Sat 21-Dec-19 07:00:31

Morning all from a wet North Leicestershire. It poured overnight here too, gd.

My main job today will be queueing at the butchers so I hope it doesnt rain if the queue is out of the door. Then home to try to find somewhere to store it all.

Hoping the gillybobs are still doing ok. Gilly is a star imo.

Best wishes to everyone.

DoraMarr Sat 21-Dec-19 07:07:47

Good morning from a dark, damp Birmingham. My grandson was ill yesterday so I had an unexpectedly free day, which I used to go shopping, first at M&S, then across the road to Aldi. I am now all ready for Christmas Day - unusually for me, I’m usually frantically shopping on Christmas Eve. I’m looking after my eldest grandaughter this morning, and her mother will come for lunch. I’m hoping for some drying weather so I can go for a walk too.
Here’s wishing everyone as good a day as possible.

nonnasusie Sat 21-Dec-19 07:10:54

Buongiorno from Italy where it is also pouring with rain and dark!! We had a terrible November and we were hoping that December would be dryer . It has been slightly better but not much.
We have to go to town shopping today as it's market day and I need a few bits from the market. There is a really good stall selling olives but he will be very busy today🙁.
I hope everyone has a good weekend and thoughts are with everyone with problems ! (I hope the weather improves for all of us too)

Treenymph Sat 21-Dec-19 07:15:05

Good morning all from a dark damp north norfolk. The Italian job, a great film. Last visit to waitrose then shopping finished. All gifts delivered yesterday so almost there. Looking forward to a quiet peaceful Christmas day of chilling out in a track suit with lots of doggie cuddles. Have a good day everyone.

Beechnut Sat 21-Dec-19 07:20:52

Good Morning everyone and all who follow from a wet yet again Severnside.

DD and SiL coming later so I’m just going to see how the day goes.

It’s a busy time of the year with one thing and another so take it as easy as you can especially poorly people. Hope you all enjoy the day 🎄

Urmstongran Sat 21-Dec-19 07:40:24

Good morning everyone from South Manchester where it’s still dark. Sunrise isn’t until 8:22am - I just looked that up.

It’s the winter solstice. Hurrah! Well, actually that’s tomorrow but at 4am and most of us will still be asleep. When I was a child it was always said to be 21 December.

The winter solstice celebrates the longest hours of darkness or the rebirth of the sun and is believed to hold a powerful energy for regeneration, renewal and self-reflection. In Pagan times the winter solstice was referred to as Yule and was a celebration of the Goddess (Moon) energy.

I just looked that bit up too!
👩‍🎓

We have a family get together at teatime. Our eldest daughter and her partner are coming over from Yorkshire and we will all be going to our youngest daughter and son in law’s. The grandchildren will be excited to see us all together. Picking up my second dad (87y) on the way. So only a few of us but ages from 3y to his. Should be fun!

Tomorrow they fly off to Germany to spend Christmas with her partner’s German family so they will sleep at ours tonight. Her German language is coming along nicely now her partner says - she’s even understanding the jokes in conversations!

Hope Saturday is kind to us all whether we have plans or none. x

Brunette10 Sat 21-Dec-19 07:43:21

Good Morning from a dark and damp Fife. Unexpected request today to look after DGS's until noon so everything else up in the air for the moment. Off out now to M & S to get the turkey etc. Why do I feel I am still working wink thought this would change when I was retired running around the shops like a headless chicken. Oh well, can't be helped will just plod on. Everyone else is so busy too not just me. Anyway I hope everyone's day goes as planned and you all have a good day. Thinking of all with worries and ailments.

Marydoll Sat 21-Dec-19 07:49:13

Good morning all from a dark and damp Glasgow.

Out again early to finally collect the last of the missing precriptions (I hope).
I'm going out first thing, as I know the Christmas traffic will be awful.
The reason I hate this journey is that about six years ago, I was sitting at a pelican crossing when a lorry jumped the red light behind me and smashed into my car. 😱
Every time I get to this junction, I pray that the lights will be green! 🤞

We had a lovely, but tiring day in Edinburgh yesterday, that is after I spent the entire journey on the phone to the pharmacy and messaging my neighbours that my new phone was arriving earlier than expected and could they keep an eye out for it!
I have been resisting buying a new phone for a year, but it has finally given up the ghost. sad As long as I can TALK and message on it, I'm quite happy.

The only disaster in Edinburgh was getting jammed in a high class restaurant pub toilet the size of a small cupboard! grin
DD had warned me that it was a tight squeeze, but once in, I couldn't turn around to get back out!! 😣
I had visions of big, hunky Edinburgh firemen coming to rescue me! 👨‍🚒. Now that would have made my day. 😁

Glad to hear MrGillybob is making progress and sending best wishes to all of those who are struggling.
Have aas good a Saturday as you can.

ninathenana Sat 21-Dec-19 07:57:32

Good morning from soggy Kent.

Heavy rain here on and off since tea time yesterday. A relaxing weekend for me before the cleaning and bed changing Monday. DD and family arriving Christmas Eve.
Have a good day whatever your doing. Thoughts are with those that are troubled or poorly.

NfkDumpling Sat 21-Dec-19 07:58:34

Morning All

Its getting light here in my bit of Norfolk and the clouds are scudding away. Still damp, but it looks like it may be a nice day.

Will be trimming the house today and then heading for DD2 this afternoon to collect DD1’s Christmas present which won’t fit in DD2’s Fiesta car. DD1 is coming here to stay for Christmas this year and will then (hopefully) get it in their car (with children, dogs, etc) to take home. Who would have asked for a fire pit as a Christmas present?

Happy Yule Everyone.🎄

Harris27 Sat 21-Dec-19 08:02:50

Good morning to all. Well I’m finally free of work yippee! Two weeks off and I just want to rest. However big food shop today and babysitting tonight so not all free ha ha. Hairdresser coming this morning to make me look presentable for Santa. How quick does the year go? Have a lovely day all and thank you for the year of lovely talk and advice and of course support!

Summerfly Sat 21-Dec-19 08:04:32

Good morning from Cumbria. Not too bad here this morning. Sat with my DH waiting for a cataract op. Think he’s first on the list so hopefully we’ll be home before lunch! Been up since 5am and feeling rather hungry now.
Hope you all have a good day and thoughts are with all of you who are poorly. Get well soon.

Summerfly Sat 21-Dec-19 08:07:50

Hope you get your prescription Marydoll. What a carry on you’re having.

cornergran Sat 21-Dec-19 08:11:23

Morning Mick, morning All from a damp corner of Somerset. We’re off for a wander if the rain clears as forecast. Sky looks brighter now. Still got a final and blessedly small food shop to do but that can wait until the rain starts again. Gilly you are indeed a star, wishing you both a gentle day. Hope Saturday is kind to everyone,

Lins1066 Sat 21-Dec-19 08:29:07

Good Morning Mick and all from a damp S Welsh coast.
We have a decorator coming at 9.30 to do some prep to the loose wallpaper in our lounge following our recent leaks. He will return to paint the wall another day.
Hopefully it will be dry enough for a short walk at some stage, a mixture of resting and gentle exercise for me now.
Hope everyone will have a pleasant day and a safe one if travelling.

harrigran Sat 21-Dec-19 08:32:58

Good morning from an overcast NE.
Not a lot on the books for today so will do some tidying up.
Had dinner with family but long drive to get there and back, was up during the night with reflux, serves me right for thinking I can have a glass of wine at Christmas.
Hoping for continued improvement for Mr gillybob.

dragonfly46 Sat 21-Dec-19 08:35:48

Good morning overslept til 8.30!

It is our 51st Wedding Anniversary which marks the shortest day. The days will now start getting longer.

Coffee with friends this morning so better get a wriggle on then DD, SiL and grandoggy arriving for Christmas.

Love to Gilly as always hope your tooth is better!

moggie Sat 21-Dec-19 08:38:24

Good morning from damp but dry at the moment Nottingham.
Met some friends for a couple of mulled wines y’day afternoon, Better than shopping in torrential rain.
Off to town with DH for a few hours, then home to do some present wrapping.
Hope your DH continues to improve Gillybob & your tooth pain getting better.
Hope all not well or struggling have a better day.
Have a good day everyone.

Alygran Sat 21-Dec-19 08:40:03

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It’s another grey morning but no rain so far.
Going to put some laundry on then pop into town for groceries. Hopefully will find some things with long sell by dates so I don’t have to go back again.
Off to a male voice choir Christmas concert this evening.
Enjoy Cornwall Greyduster
Wishing everyone a good day.

moggie Sat 21-Dec-19 08:40:58

Happy anniversary Dragonfly flowers have a lovely day with your DH.

dragonfly46 Sat 21-Dec-19 08:42:33

Thank you moggie

oldgaijin Sat 21-Dec-19 08:42:39

Good morning from a calm and peaceful Aberdeenshire. There's a slight frost and a glorious sunrise.

Family news is that today they return from Bali back to Singapore and on Xmas day they are having a barbecue round the pool....poor things, all that warmth and sunshine!

The mutt is talking to me again after his groom but he still smells of Xmas spice shampoo!

Have a good and not too stressful day.