Gransnet forums

Chat

Good morning Christmas Eve! ?✨??

(103 Posts)
Marydoll Tue 24-Dec-19 07:01:58

Good morning all, as no-one has opened up, I'm going to take the plunge!

ninathenana Tue 24-Dec-19 08:04:40

Good morning all.
Mild and dry in Kent.

I'm sitting in Tesco cafe waiting for my scrambled egg on toast having done my last few bits of shopping.
I will put the ham on to boil and prep the veg when I get home. Then it's feet up until family arrive tonight.
Have a good day and don't panic it's just one day ??

ScotinOz Tue 24-Dec-19 08:07:35

Good evening everyone from a lovely cool and damp Sydney. The weather is aiding the fire fighters today but not helping the water levels in the dams.

Today, we celebrated our Christmas as the DGC are going to their fathers tomorrow. We had a lovely laid back party with a BBQ instead of a Christmas dinner. The presents were a success!

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy Christmas ????

Como2020 Tue 24-Dec-19 08:10:15

Good morning and hello from the borderlands. ?
A calm morning, with a beautiful ? moon.

Thinking of gilly.

Merry Christmas to you all. ?

Mythbirtthedragon Tue 24-Dec-19 08:10:41

Good morning from east London, rain has stopped, forecast is good. Have been off early to collect the turkey which is now safely in the fridge eyeing up the carrots. I’m with HRH about a bumpy year - especially the last few months - although ‘ticks’ are now overtaking the crosses. DS is travelling back by train from Chichester this evening, I’m half expecting an SOS call from somewhere in Kent asking for a lift. Also, as all seem to be sharing Christmas greetings today, does this mean there’s no thread tomorrow? Hope today goes well for you and yours and all the best for the festive season.

MawB Tue 24-Dec-19 08:11:09

Good morning all!
Back home yesterday, I did like Norfolk, the pace of life seems more gentle and the traffic didn’t belt along, bit of a turnaround drinks with my neighbours, exchanged presents, and after (TG) a blissful night’s sleep - straight through until 7.30! - I shall be getting myself ready for the next stage, up the M1 and M6 to DD1 and family . The car boot is actually full so my bag will go on the back seat and I’ll take it gently.
Quite missing the Christmas Eve preparations but have to hand over to the next generation some time, don’t you?
Wishing you all a pleasant day!

vena11 Tue 24-Dec-19 08:11:52

Good morning from a dry Bristol.
I think I am ready housework done food bought, now just the table stuff to sort, DS and his family coming for Christmas Dinner , love the run up.
I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, eat a lot don't drink too much and enjoy.

Esther1 Tue 24-Dec-19 08:26:48

So lovely to read what everyone is doing today. Dry and mild in Surrey - and yesterday we saw some sun too which was lovely. The lull before the storm for me today. Everything is as prepared as it can be before tomorrow and after and all the family arriving. Am definitely going to try and take it quietly today.

mumofmadboys Tue 24-Dec-19 08:27:59

Wishing everyone a happy and peaceful Christmas Day tomorrow whatever you are doing.

Willynilly Tue 24-Dec-19 08:33:57

Good morning all from a damp but mild East Mids. Having the DGDs didn't go well as I came down with a gastric bug and had to ask my D and SIL to collect them early. On top of it all the rest of my AC and partners were due to meet my D here (when she came to collect the children) for a pre Christmas meal as I won't see them over the festive period, and I had to cancel this too, so I'm feeling pretty sorry all round.
Anyway, there's always next year hmm
Have a wonderful time everyone, whatever you do. Merry Christmas.

Harris27 Tue 24-Dec-19 08:34:55

Been awake early as dh has to be up for work and I wake before him! Still quite dull here and I’m getting up soon. Christmas Eve and everyone is still working in my family so I’m going out for last bits bread buns etc. Then off to sons to drop presents off at teatime. Happy Christmas all.

Pittcity Tue 24-Dec-19 08:42:48

Good morning from sunny Colchester. Bright and dry here over Christmas. I am still in bed as I overindulged yesterday.
Meeting friends and family for a drink out later and just 3 for Christmas day. So no mass catering here....bliss!
Merry Christmas to all.tchsmile

GrannyGravy13 Tue 24-Dec-19 08:46:56

Popped back to see if gillybob had posted, I do hope she is ok and has managed to get her tooth sorted.

Sending virtual hugs gilly

Ginny42 Tue 24-Dec-19 08:54:50

Good morning all from a very wet Cheshire. Today is a family meal at a restaurant with people we won't see tomorrow. My poor GS was sitting with a bag of frozen peas on his head to reduce his temperature yesterday and he was very unwell, but he's had a good sleep and he's wakened up excited today.

Hope everyone has a lovely day and has safe travels up and down the country. Waiting to hear that Gilly's tooth has been dealt with.

Best wishes to all whatever you may be doing over the next few days.

harrigran Tue 24-Dec-19 08:55:29

Good morning from a damp NE.
Poor night, I had a message on my computer just as I was switching off last night. I do wish people wouldn't complain about things that can not be rectified until after Christmas. Never mind they have passed the buck and can relax.
DH went to supermarket at 7am to get bread buns, shopping done now.
Will cook turkey and stuffing this afternoon so that we have cold meat for Boxing day.
Very concerned for relatives abroad who will be on their own and having to cope in difficult circumstances.
Thinking of gilly and hoping that she got treatment and some relief.

Happy Christmas to all.

DoraMarr Tue 24-Dec-19 08:58:55

Good morning from Birmingham, where it is dry but quite cold. I am having a cup of tea in bed at my partner’s, after sleeping until 8.15! Breakfast in bed, then I will go home to wrap some presents and tidy my apartment before tomorrow. I had planned to have Christmas Day on my own before spending the evening with one of my daughters and family, but somehow I am now catering for my son, his friend, and a single mother and toddler from another country who would otherwise be alone. I hope I can make the day happy for them.
Best wishes to everyone, and I hope you have the best day possible tomorrow.

Nannytopsy Tue 24-Dec-19 09:02:03

Good morning everyone. Another sunny day in Suffolk - the rain went through in the night. A late start as I was up until after midnight finishing DGD’s Christmas present. “I want a silver cardi with sparkly buttons!” A challenge for Nanny then!
Gammon to cook, mince pies to make and a few presents to wrap. I shall also take the dog for a walk.
Enjoy your day and best wishes to anyone who is ill. X?

Marthjolly1 Tue 24-Dec-19 09:05:36

Good morning and a Very Merry Christmas to you all. I've dodged all the stress this year and have everything in good order. All veg and trimmings prepped, just trifle to make this afternoon and spuds to peel in the morning. No plans for today or the rest of the week. Just me, OH, his DS and 2little ones joining us for lunch tomorrow. Best wishes to all for a very happy time and sending big hugs for anyone feeling alone and struggling at this difficult time of year

Yiayia4 Tue 24-Dec-19 09:09:43

Morning from clear mild Surrey.
Good trip home yesterday with very few delays.
Have a few bits of shopping then making my Christmas stuffing and doing chocolate covered strawberries to take to DS 1 tomorrow, we are doing the starters so will sort that in the morning.

Wishing everyone on this lovely thread a very happy healthy peaceful Christmas.Hope Gillybob is getting the treatment she needs.

conor Tue 24-Dec-19 09:12:41

Good morning from a bright and sunny Essex. Exhausted after big supermarket shop yesterday(and I'm not even cooking Xmas Dinner) but will do a buffet for family after the children's church service this evening and I am doing Boxing Day dinner. Trying hard to justify the amount of food in my trolley! ?
Hair appt this morning and may 'pop' to the town centre to see if there is anything I've forgotten(or check if the sales have started!!)
I wish everyone a happy and peaceful Xmas and hope we all get a chance to relax and enjoy it all xxxx?

Oopsminty Tue 24-Dec-19 09:16:10

Happy Christmas to one and all

I've been up since 5am so I am heading back to bed for a snooze

We have the family tomorrow. 3 children, partners and 4 grandchildren

Luckily, Mr Minty is in charge so I am just relaxing today

And watching Elf

May all of you who can't embrace this festive period for whatever reason have as peaceful time as possible

Jane10 Tue 24-Dec-19 09:21:22

I don't usually check this thread but looked today to see if there's any news of gillybob. I hope she's OK. Poor soul. What a time she's having.

Curlywhirly Tue 24-Dec-19 09:34:02

Good morning from a damp Cheshire. Went to bed last night and luckily fell fast asleep straight away, which doesn't often happen. But then was awoken abruptly by my alarm buzzing and flashing at midnight! My DGS had been 'playing' with it yesterday and had obviously set an alarm on it! I finally drifted off after 2 HOURS of tossing and turning ??. Got up at 6.30 and have already been shopping for last bits and bobs. Busy day ahead: clean the house, set the table for tomorrow and peel the veg. We are off to a carol concert at 5.00pm, then booked in for a meal at the early hour of 6.00pm, so we can be home by 8.30pm, happy to settle down watching TV with a glass of fizz, also I don't want a late evening with so much to do tomorrow.

Hope Gillybob has sorted out her tooth, poor thing, and hope all who are under the weather are feeling a little better.

Here's wishing you all a very Merry Christmas.

GrannySomerset Tue 24-Dec-19 09:44:57

Just off to take filthy car to be washed, then another batch of mince pies to make since DS took most of the last lot with him, having eaten the rest.

Since it is just the two of us there are no other Christmas preparations outstanding, so a peaceful day.

Thoughts with all those not well, especially Gilly, and hope all GNers have the festival they can enjoy. And safe travelling!

gillybob Tue 24-Dec-19 09:50:22

Good morning from the NE coast .

Well what a polar bear this tooth has caused (for some reason I can’t type the word I want to use but thought “polar bear” was close enough tchgrin

Firstly the visit to A &E was met with “we don’t have a dentist on site...go to another A&E in another town” hmm

Went to A N Other town and was told there was a 4-5 hour wait for triage and I would probably not be seen by the Maxillo Facial people without a referral from my dentist. Well that’s brilliant if I could see my dentist I would but he’s away in Poland for 2 weeks.

Suggested I contact the dental hospital in Newcastle . So ended up back home despite having a face like I had just done 10 rounds with Tyson Fury . At this point I had left DH alone for almost 4 hours and my anxiety levels were through the roof . Rang the dental hospital first thing yesterday morning and was told that I had “just made the 25 maximum quota” and was awarded slot 24 . Yippeee .

So the tale ends with me dragging poor DH out of bed very early and getting him ready and down stairs (he can’t manage on his own yet) driving to the dental hospital (about an hours drive) and sitting waiting to be seen. I had left trays of things laid out for DH and made him a bed up on the settee but was pat myself with worry at the thought of leaving him for so long . I kept ringing him to check he was okay which was probably getting on his nerves .

Anyway I was eventually seen by a lovely student dentist (looked about 17 but assured me he wasn’t) who said he would love the chance to attempt a final root canal on the poor tooth. Said it would be a shame to pull it out right there and then, although admitted the long term prognosis was not good at all. He said it would buy me a few weeks to get something sorted (a false tooth).

Well despite the dread of more injections into my already poorly, sore and swollen mouth, who am I to deny a young trainee a chance of some extra training ?

A fully qualified dentist was watching over and advising as he went along but I’ll be honest he was as gentle as a lamb and so lovely chatting to me all the time . I would have given him 10/10 and told the qualified dentist when he asked me how I felt afterwards. .

As it happens he said he had managed to get much higher into the root than my own dentist could and washed the canal with a bleach solution which he assured me would help clear the infection. The qualified dentist assured me that the swelling in my face and eye was probably very normal after having so many procedures on the same tooth and to keep going with the antibiotics (I am now into my 5th week ) and cold compresses .

All in all I was out of the house for 7 hours. DH was fine despite my worrying . Sitting watching TV when I eventually got home .

Well this morning I am sore and still swollen and bruised but amazingly my left eye is more open than it was. Could be a coincidence, could be the antibiotics kicking in, or could be the work of an amazing young man.

Feeling a bit more positive today . Can’t have a drink over Christmas due to one of the antibiotics ( metronidazole ) being strictly no alcohol but to be honest I’m past caring .

Still hoping to cook a Christmas dinner of sorts for my dad, sister, DH, DD and little Evie so will make the best of what we have and where we are.

Apologies for boring everyone to death with my tales of woe this last few months . Thinking of all those who are feeling poorly or sad and hoping that we all see some much needed sunshine soon.

A very happy Christmas to all of my wonderful Gransnet friends. I can’t thank you all enough for the virtual support you have given me .

With love and very best wishes

Gillybob x

grannysyb Tue 24-Dec-19 09:53:28

Poor Gilly, what a saga. Wishing you the best possible Christmas and a much better 2020.