Gransnet forums

Chat

Any ‘woke’ Christmas presents then? ?

(96 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 26-Dec-19 12:06:08

Our eldest daughter gave us a voucher for an ‘experience’ as a present. For us and she gave our 2 grandchildren, her niece of 3y and nephew 7y, their own voucher to open. So the 4 of us can spend a day in Staffordshire (where’s that? My geography is rubbish!) ... oh just looked it up it’s near Stoke - (Trentham) in a monkey forest.

We will use the voucher late spring sometime....
?

notanan2 Thu 26-Dec-19 20:20:49

Calling yourself "woke" is akin to calling yourself names.

M0nica Thu 26-Dec-19 20:39:21

But at the end of the day it is just virtue signalling.

lemongrove Thu 26-Dec-19 21:00:23

Urmston? I’m with your DH on this one, especially as I don’t like monkeys.Perhaps your draughtiness thought that you did though.?

Doodle Thu 26-Dec-19 21:15:02

May I just say I have read this entire thread and haven’t got the foggiest idea what you are talking about. It could be because I am not environmentally friendly or it could be because I have just downed a large glass of wine having spent the day playing with my grandchildren.
I have a feeling I won’t be woke for much longer tchgrin Happy Boxing Day all.

lemongrove Thu 26-Dec-19 21:30:17

?yes, it’ll be the wine Doodle

Urmstongran Thu 26-Dec-19 21:33:09

lemon ??

MamaCaz Thu 26-Dec-19 21:51:50

Urmstongran
Well, now we've all been educated on the actual meaning of 'woke', I will answer the question you (and I) thought you had asked. grin

My two little gifts from the dgc were a handmade bar of soap, and some wooden handmade earrings, both wrapped in recyclable brown paper.

Our four little gifts to youngest dgd were all second-hand, so although one (a blackboard/whiteboard easel) was largely made of plastic, we have prevented it from going to landfill for the time being, so feel quite smug. If I've understood correctly, that might make us 'woke', but I'm not bothered! wink

Urmstongran Thu 26-Dec-19 22:09:49

Thank you MamaCass that’s exactly the kind of response I (in my ignorance!) was hoping for!

Urmstongran Thu 26-Dec-19 22:10:30

Sorry ... Caz

M0nica Thu 26-Dec-19 22:34:36

It is not 'woke' because you did it as normal and didn't make a song and dance about it. DD gave me fingerless gloves she knitted from oddments of wool and gave her sister in law a beautiful hand knitted pullover, but she didn't go on twitter or instagram or even Facebook and make a show and dance about it so she most emphatically is not 'woke', which is essentially a perjorative word.

Callistemon Thu 26-Dec-19 22:42:47

This thread is hilarious!

I think that woke means you are all drinking organic, sustainably produced wine in recyclable bottles

Cheers

Callistemon Thu 26-Dec-19 22:45:03

My friend regifted to me a reusable bag which I can carry in my handbag.
I recognised it as the one I gave her last Christmas

Is that woke enough?

Chewbacca Thu 26-Dec-19 23:04:27

I thought I'd understood what the OP was asking when I originally posted earlier today but I'm afraid that notanan's explanation posts have completely befuddled me and I'm no longer sure what the thread is about anymore.

Are my vouchers for afternoon tea for 2, at a local tea shop, within walking distance, woke? Or non woke? and do I give a damn anyway? hmm

GagaJo Thu 26-Dec-19 23:29:58

Callistemon, is that not asleep? Not to remember who NOT to regift to?

Callistemon Thu 26-Dec-19 23:33:57

grin
It will be very useful - which is why I gave it to her in the first place.
She hasn't been well so I will forgive her, had a little giggle about it with DH.

DillytheGardener Thu 26-Dec-19 23:41:00

This whole thread has gone flying over my head! No idea what any of it is about! Could be the Prosecco though grin

Chewbacca Thu 26-Dec-19 23:43:49

Nope Dilly, it's not the Prosecco. And you're not on you own in your befuddlement either.

Grammaretto Fri 27-Dec-19 14:05:10

Callistemon I'm still chuckling about getting your present back!
Reminded me of when I stayed at DMs and was helping with the dishes. I asked for an apron. "There's one in that drawer" she said. I put it on and she said " you can take it home if you like. Someone gave it to me but I've never worn it"

I had lovingly made it for her.

Callistemon Sat 28-Dec-19 22:53:07

grin only just caught up with this thread!

oh dear, that started my cough off again Grammaretto

Callistemon Sat 28-Dec-19 22:54:35

ps only because I was laughing
oh dear
laugh, cough, laugh, cough.

BradfordLass72 Sun 29-Dec-19 07:26:54

I don't think I've ever been woke - not even by a Handsome Prince but I did buy everyone gift vouchers.

My son for a series of Master Classes online (shared the cost with dil)

A session at a seafood cooking school (one meal with wine) for dil who loves seafood.

A 2 session voucher for a climbing experienc for gs who is intrepid and loved it.

Most of the time I feel about as woke as a dormouse.

BradfordLass72 Sun 29-Dec-19 07:28:26

Urmston in our house, your daughter would immediately become 'Her Draughtiness' until the joke wore off.

Liaise Sun 29-Dec-19 08:12:47

I will be at DOODLE'S house drinking her wine and will probably take a bottle with me. I do not know if we are 'woke' or not. Cheers everyone!

Grammaretto Sun 29-Dec-19 08:37:38

I'm afraid even you fail the woke test BradfordLass by the fact that we now know what the gifts were.
grin

notanan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 09:52:54

Are my vouchers for afternoon tea for 2, at a local tea shop, within walking distance, woke? Or non woke?

Is it a vegan afternoon tea with non gender specific non elitist grey tea (because "earl grey" is triggering)?

grin