Gransnet forums

Chat

Any ‘woke’ Christmas presents then? ?

(96 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 26-Dec-19 12:06:08

Our eldest daughter gave us a voucher for an ‘experience’ as a present. For us and she gave our 2 grandchildren, her niece of 3y and nephew 7y, their own voucher to open. So the 4 of us can spend a day in Staffordshire (where’s that? My geography is rubbish!) ... oh just looked it up it’s near Stoke - (Trentham) in a monkey forest.

We will use the voucher late spring sometime....
?

Barmeyoldbat Sun 29-Dec-19 10:05:29

A voucher for afternoon tea and cocktails was given to us. We are going to use it on a few days away stay and look forward to it.

Grammaretto Sun 29-Dec-19 10:18:36

notanan2 grin

CassieJ Sun 29-Dec-19 11:12:03

Trentham gardens are lovely, lots to see and do. if you want to go into the gardens themselves you will need to pay extra. If you have Tesco clubcard points you can use this to buy tickets.

Not sure what "woke" means at all. Obviously behind the times smile

harrigran Sun 29-Dec-19 11:29:05

I am so pleased I told all family members "no gifts".
I saw photos of a family with lots of children and all the gifts were wrapped in brown paper, while I applaud them using recycled paper the parcels did look awfully drab.
GC get their gifts in Christmas bags that have been used and re-used many times.

Kalu Sun 29-Dec-19 12:36:34

It’s time ‘woke’ was put to sleep??

BradfordLass72 Sun 29-Dec-19 21:15:24

If you received a non-woke gift, what would you do with it?

About as non-woke as you can get would be a cruise.

Would you refuse to go because of the MASSIVE wastage of food on board and all the plastic involved and the fact the crew lived in dark, dismal conditions on minimum wages?
Not to mention how they are treated by arrogant passengers.

So, would you go? Just wonderin'

notanan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 21:21:44

If you received a non-woke gift, what would you do with it?
Well. If you're woke you would do the following:
1. Cry about how youre triggered and that your existance is erased by having views different to yours expressed in your presence.
2. Block/cut off EVERYONE who suggests that the gift did not mean #1
3. Only speak to people who will validate your over-reaction

No I wouldnt go on a cruise even if it was free. But I would try to not be too much of a d* about it

Grammaretto Sun 29-Dec-19 21:24:06

Who are you asking BradfordLass?
I would never go on a cruise and everyone knows I wouldn't.
A friend's DD is a professional singer who has been on cruise ships as it is well paid being an entertainer etc. Perhaps I would feel differently if my DC or DGC were so talented.
Being hypothetically woke is fun.
smile

notanan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 21:28:53

To be honest I would probably be a coward about it and gush about the generosity but decline blaming work or kids extra curricular commitments or something like that.

I could not enjoy a cruise knowing how awful they are for the lower ranked staff and the environment and the ports they visit, but Im not going to argue with cruise going relatives over it!

Grammaretto Mon 30-Dec-19 14:56:36

It is hard to be true to your conscience isn't it!
I have friends, who I know through local activities, who are very different from me. Their idea of a great life is to have plenty of holidays (flying to Florida etc) buy their DC a car for their 17th birthday, wear fashionable new clothes (never 2nd hand) and try to look like celebs or at least younger than they are. I like these people and would only judge them on here, never to their face for I am much too cowardly and anyway friendship is important!
They think I'm a bit weird but I amuse them and we get along fine.

I wonder sometimes how I got to where I am and they to where they are but I certainly don't want to surround myself with people who only think the same way. How dull would that be.

notanan2 Mon 30-Dec-19 15:44:16

Absolutely Grammaretto
It's not healthy or fun to live in an echo chamber.

So long as people "own" their decisions and arent hypocrites about it I am happy to have friends who have different priorities.

(Was not so happy to be lectured on the fact that I own no bee's wax wraps by someone who in the next breath told me all about their cruise plans recently...)

Grammaretto Mon 30-Dec-19 15:48:26

notanan2 I keep agreeing with you grin

Fellsidegruffalo Mon 30-Dec-19 16:44:30

grin this has to be the best thread I’ve ever read! Very enjoyable. tchgrin

Scentia Mon 30-Dec-19 17:39:03

Not so much a ‘woke’ gift but a woke situation.
My DiL and DS spent hours telling my SiL how he didn’t care about his child’s future as he works offshore, only to then tell us about their upcoming holiday touring the USA in a RV after flying half way around the world to get there first.
My SiL simply said, it’s such a good job I am keeping those oil rigs working properly isn’t it!

notanan2 Mon 30-Dec-19 17:44:21

Good on your SIL!

M0nica Mon 30-Dec-19 19:53:05

I have a lovely DiL, a gentle Corbynista and supports ER, but visit their house and all the lights are on and the curtains open and the amount of food I have thrown away this Christmas because they and their family put food on their plates and then only eat half of it, so that there is no alternative to throwing it away is heart-breaking. I have also spent half the time walking around the house turning lights off behind them.

I have no time for ER they are the johnie-come-latelys to those of us, and there are a lot of us out there, who have been quietly and systematically trying to reduce our carbon footprint for over 20 years. During which time British territorial carbon emissions have been reduced by 42%.

It is delightful to be woke and aware of every issue, but you need to walk the walk as well as talk the talk

Grammaretto Mon 30-Dec-19 22:53:07

Well said MOnica
Friends of ours used to have 2 pigs. The pigs dug and manured their veggie garden and made short work of leftovers including those from the local cafe.
Unfortunately elfin safety came along, or was it environmental health, and no more leftovers were permitted. I still don't understand their reasoning.

notanan2 Tue 31-Dec-19 10:52:35

Feeding livestock left overs is wrong. It caused animals to suffer and pass on prion diseases etc. It does not mimic their natural diet.

PamelaJ1 Tue 31-Dec-19 13:42:52

I had some neighbours over for drinks and nibbles. Most walked so that was quite woke.
As it happens there was a woke quiz in our Sunday supplement so we did a bit of it. By no.10 we couldn’t take any more.
It served it’s purpose by making sure they left early, just in case I decided to do questions 11-20!

Although most of them hadn’t heard of woke most managed to get one correct, well the law of averages kicked in!
Lots of them guessed the JK Rowling one- which character did JK decide, in hindsight, should be black? Hermione ?
She also made Dumbledore gay. Much more woke.

notanan2 Tue 31-Dec-19 14:38:12

Oh JK Rowling has been fired from the woke gang for saying she believes in biological sex.

Unwoke example Pamela grin

This is the plight of the "woke". As soon as they "get woke" their woke ideas go out of fashion and they need to "go get woke" again! confused