Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you seen any of the Royal Family up close?

(135 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 26-Dec-19 18:36:40

Or bobbed a curtesy? Shaken a hand?

I was in Aberdeen in 1971 when the Royal Yacht docked. I was 16y and waved as the posh limousines sailed past. I caught Princess Anne’s eye. I wonder if she can recall it?
?

Many years later, when I was working at the old Park Hospital (the first NHS hospital in 1948 opened by Nye Bevan) Princess Margaret came to visit. Gosh she was tiny! Very old fashioned American tan tights with white peep toe sandals. She looked bored. Probably was.

That’s all I’ve seen up close of any of the RF.

You?

Flowerette Sat 28-Dec-19 15:54:23

Ohh yes the Queen !
My hubby’s friend lived near where she passes and waved once a year when the derby runs
Surreal ... was in car but I could have touched car ?
His little girl said just before we went .. to her friends ... “come on we are going to wave to the Queen “ ... she didn’t even know what she meant bless her .. was copying Mummy and Daddy ..: was so innocent lol
We waved to her ... but she wasn’t that interested ? ...I just remember the little girl more than anything and how she said it so innocently and excited lol
Btw .. we are not posh ... lol

annodomini Sat 28-Dec-19 16:28:42

Princess Anne came to open a restaurant in a 6th Form College where I was a governor. She didn't stay long and didn't shake hands with all the govs.

MawB Sat 28-Dec-19 17:08:02

A few times- first as Head Girl of my High School in Scotland when the D of E made a very feeble joke about my future study of Moral Philosophy at St Andrews , also at Dad’s investiture at the Palace but the one that sticks in my mind was when I was taking a short cut through Deans Yard behind Westminster Abbey from my PILs’ flat in Tufton Street and came face to face with Princess Margaret. I don’t know who was more surprised!
My parents met them a couple of times at swanky weddings and said on one occasion PM had drunk too much and HM was more than a bit short with her!

AlgeswifeVal Sat 28-Dec-19 18:55:58

I had a brief conversation with Princes Diana when she visited a children’s home for disabled children in the late eighties. She was beautiful.

seacliff Sat 28-Dec-19 20:43:16

Princess Alexandra opened a new building at our school in the late 60s, and I saw her up close but didn't speak. She was young and beautiful with a lovely smile. I have seen other Royals from afar.

I did meet Camilla for a proper chat, after my son returned from Afghanistan. She was a surprise, really warm, chatty and friendly and down to earth, no airs and graces. It changed my opinion of her.

susieq3 Sun 29-Dec-19 00:56:41

I used to live in Tetbury. Saw Diana a number of times walking around the town followed by her detective. I had an invitation given to me by a dear friend who couldn’t attend to go to a special church service for Prince Charles and Diana .Prince Charles looked up to the balcony where I was sitting and caught my eye.
My son sang in the church choir and went to Highgrove with
the choir to sing one Christmas. prince Michael of Kent came into the wine shop where I worked one day and asked me to recommend a wine for a picnic. I chose a white German one!
He was very polite.

sluttygran Sun 29-Dec-19 14:54:18

Not a Royalist at all, but I think the Queen is the best of a bad lot.
I also have a soft spot for Princess Anne.
I was at Badminton when she was thrown from her horse and witnessed the iconic moment when she told the press to "Naff orf". It was a bit more colourful than that, I can tell you!
She is a hard worker, and when we had heavy snow, she was out delivering supplies with her staff and a fleet of land rovers. I respect someone who can get their hands dirty to help others, even if she is a bit high and mighty.

hollysteers Mon 30-Dec-19 02:17:46

First time, in the 50s, Queen whizzing by in limousine. Next, strawberries & cream in marquee in Edinburgh with Queen (husband’s old regiment) me in what I now see as mad outfit...then presented to Princess Anne after solo singing (knows her stuff but charmless and I spoke first!) Then cocktails with Prince Andrew at husband’s club, PA flirty ?
Prince Edward twice through singing, nice but a bit boring,
Late husband attended dinners at St. James Palace and Edinburgh Castle with Queen, also Duke of Kent, he a great royalist, Royal family my soap opera?. From all these comments, they get about don’t they?

Apricity Mon 30-Dec-19 08:30:39

I know someone who, as a child, has TWICE sat on the Queen's knee. Does this come into the category of 'I danced with a girl who danced with a man who danced with a girl who danced with the Prince of Wales'? Fame is sooo fleeting. Now, where is that tea towel?