Gransnet forums

Chat

How to keep fluffy PJs fluffy

(25 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Thu 26-Dec-19 20:47:40

One of my son's presents was a pair of fluffy fleecy PJs. He's not had them off since Christmas morning (he went and changed into them immediately and used them for "lounging around", then slept in them. He really needs to wash them, but wants to keep them as soft and fluffy as they are now.

Has anyone got any hints and tips as to how to keep them like new and not go flat. He hasn't got a tumble drier at home, so they will be dried on a DrySoon from Lakeland .

Doodle Thu 26-Dec-19 22:48:06

Sorry hurdy gurdy I have obviously had too much ? tonight. I looked at your OP title and thought it referred to fluffy jacket potatoes (jp not pj) no idea why.

GagaJo Thu 26-Dec-19 22:57:00

Handwash maybe? Use fabric softener?

Callistemon Thu 26-Dec-19 23:25:57

Give them a really good shake when they come out of the washing machine and if it's dry and blowy hang them outside.

Send them round for you to wash and dry?
wink

Bathsheba Fri 27-Dec-19 08:11:58

Launderettes have tumble driers - if he's that bothered about them he won't made going to the trouble of finding one and paying up wink

grannypiper Fri 27-Dec-19 08:56:57

Wash them inside out then hang on the line. Turn them the right way and pop in the dryer for 5 mins

Esspee Fri 27-Dec-19 09:01:19

What age is this son?

Oopsminty Fri 27-Dec-19 09:10:20

Lots of conditioner and dry on warm radiator. I always did that with fluffy babygros

theretheredear Fri 27-Dec-19 10:36:17

No conditioner, bad for clothes & environment.
Normal wash, a good shake & line dry if possible, otherwise the heated rail.

Dee1012 Fri 27-Dec-19 11:37:38

I'd actually suggest not too much fabric conditioner and a small cap full of white vinegar to the final rinse.

I was given this advice year's ago for keeping towels soft and fluffy and it's worked well for me.

Callistemon Fri 27-Dec-19 11:45:10

Esspee
grin

NotSpaghetti Fri 27-Dec-19 12:25:28

Are they fluffy as in brushed cotton fleecy or synthetic as in the sort of fleece jacket fleecy?

HurdyGurdy Fri 27-Dec-19 15:13:40

Doodle - “thought it referred to fluffy jacket potatoes (jp not pj)”
Ha ha – no, I’ve realised the secret to fluffy jacket potatoes is to cook them in a gas oven, and not electric! This is the ONLY thing I like about my new, all gas, cooker, having always had duel fuel previously.

Callistemon - “Send them round for you to wash and dry?”
LOL – that’ll be a no! I’m waiting until he’s perfected the art of fluff, and then he can take care of MY stuff!

Bathsheba - “he won't made going to the trouble of finding one and paying up”
If that’s what it will take to keep them fluffy, I’m sure he’ll be more than happy to dry them that way. Or he can bring them home and wash/dry them here if a tumble drier is the answer

grannypiper - “Wash them inside out then hang on the line. Turn them the right way and pop in the dryer for 5 mins”
All good until the last four words lol. He doesn’t have a tumble drier. Only a heated airer thing from Lakeland

Esspee - “What age is this son?”
"this son" will be 28 next month. Is that relevant?

Dee1012 - “not too much fabric conditioner and a small cap full of white vinegar to the final rinse”
I’ve heard of that before, but never known if it actually worked. I will give that a go at home and see how that works on my towels, then pass the tip on! Thank you

NotSpaghetti
Fleece jacket fluffy. They are so beautifully soft, I kept stroking his arm all day yesterday LOL

QuaintIrene Fri 27-Dec-19 15:46:53

Are they from Primark ? I have had 3 pairs for years now. Delicious and fluffy just the same as when I bought them.
Normal wash and dried on the airier. No hanging space here ☹️. Wearing a pair right now. I know it’s the afternoon, but what the heck. I love them !

Shortlegs Fri 27-Dec-19 18:08:31

28 years old and worrying about keeping his pyjamas fluffy?? OK

Esspee Fri 27-Dec-19 18:29:48

He’s 28, has been wearing his new fluffy pjs since Christmas morning and now you (his mummy) are seeking advice on how he should be washing them to keep them fluffy.
Have I got that right OP?

MamaCaz Fri 27-Dec-19 19:02:53

I don't have anything particularly helpful to add here. I just want to say that I seem to have been blessed with the knack of turning smooth clothes fluffy and bobbly just by wearing them! grin

Timsmum Fri 27-Dec-19 20:05:22

First time I have ever posted but I have to tell you,I have never used fabric conditioner always use vinegar in the last rinse and it works brilliantly. Towels are always soft.

Shizam Fri 27-Dec-19 20:28:03

Interested in the white vinegar suggestion. Always use soda crystals in wash machine. And put both down drains regularly to flush them out. Will try that for towels.

Shizam Fri 27-Dec-19 20:32:36

And shortlegs and espee, stop being snipey. It’s fine to want fluffy comfort, no matter your age. Also fine for a mum to ask on behalf of an adult offspring. Shows she cares.

Callistemon Fri 27-Dec-19 20:53:05

I will try the white vinegar on my towels.

They are getting rather like Gwen's (Gavin and Stacey).

Hetty58 Fri 27-Dec-19 21:00:51

I'm allergic to fabric conditioner so always use white vinegar instead. I like to shake things well before I hang them up to dry. We have no tumble drier but use a dehumidifier instead (much cheaper to run). Our fluffy PJs have remained 'as new' for years!

Nanny27 Fri 27-Dec-19 22:55:35

Sorry, I'm with Espee and Shortlegs here. I have never found myself getting involved with a young man's laundry. ?

HurdyGurdy Sat 28-Dec-19 21:47:33

QuaintIrene – “Are they from Primark ?”
Yes, they are! Thank you for your post. Maybe they’ll be ok and not go flat, like fleecy things tend to whenever I wash them.

Esspee – “He’s 28, has been wearing his new fluffy pjs since Christmas morning and now you (his mummy) are seeking advice on how he should be washing them to keep them fluffy.
Have I got that right OP?!
Yes, you have got that right.
But I have to ask - why the bitterness and snarkiness? Why emphase “his mummy”? What are you hoping to gain from being so petty?

Shortlegs – 28 years old and worrying about keeping his pyjamas fluffy?? OK
Oh dear. Another one who feels the need to be bitter and sarcastic. Why? Yes, he’s 28 years old. No, he’s not “worrying” about keeping his PJs like they are now? And even if he was “worrying” – why should that bother YOU so much? He said how nice it felt wearing soft fleecy PJs and asked me how best to wash them to keep them like that for as long as possible. I didn’t know, because all my fleecy items just go flat when I wash them, so I thought I’d ask here to see if anyone could offer their advice. Most did, thank goodness, without the need to resort to insults.

Shizam - And shortlegs and espee, stop being snipey. It’s fine to want fluffy comfort, no matter your age. Also fine for a mum to ask on behalf of an adult offspring. Shows she cares
Thank you x

Nanny27 – “Sorry, I'm with Espee and Shortlegs here. I have never found myself getting involved with a young man's laundry. “
Am I missing something here? Is there something scurrilous about offering laundry advice? Would you refuse to advise your son if he asked you? How very strange.

Oopsminty Sat 28-Dec-19 21:48:28

Well I shall continue with my conditioner

It's the human race that's bad for the planet