Gransnet forums

Chat

Funny old Christmas

(30 Posts)
kittylester Fri 27-Dec-19 07:49:59

What a lovely post gilly!

I hope that despite everything, lucjy, you day was less fraught that previously! brew

Urmstongran Fri 27-Dec-19 07:42:27

I have just read your post Luckygirl and although this situation doesn’t apply to me I didn’t want to just read and retreat.

These are for you dear lady ? and these are for you gillybob ?

gillybob Fri 27-Dec-19 07:03:28

Oh Luckygirl .

I suffered a few weeks of my DH’s paranoia and delirium after he had been on LS and can honestly say it was the most upsetting time of my life . Listening to someone who truly believes (in their own mind) that “people” are plotting to kill them and hurt them when there is nothing you can say or do to convince them otherwise is just the worst thing.

I’m not sure what approach you take, but my DH’s doctors and nurses always advised me to correct him (even though he didn’t believe me) that it absolutely wasn’t the case and not to give in to his obsessive ramblings. (I’m hopeless with words, it wasn’t said so cruelly).

Fortunately for me my DH just seemed to snap out of it all one day and although he still mis-remembers some things “that happened” I am able to talk him through it and he accepts that it is his mind playing horrible tricks on him .

I really feel for you and your poor husband luckygirl . He must be living in a nightmare convinced that people are plotting against him . Poor man.

Probably not the right thread but I read up on a lot of the drugs my DH was being given in ICU and found that the side effects of some of the drugs supposed to keep him calm can actually cause paranoia! Is it possible your DH is on a cocktail of drugs that are making him worse?

In answer to your question . I honestly don’t know what I would have done in your situation . I only know that in the almost 3 months my DH was in ICU I spent most of my time there with him and neglected myself, my family and my work too. In hindsight it probably wasn’t the right thing to do and much of the time my DH didn’t know whether I was there or not or even who I was .

“We” are only one person after all.

I’m sorry not to be much help, I felt like I just had to acknowledge your post in my own messy way.

I do hope things get easier for you lucky, I truly do. Life can be so cruel sometimes. xx

Namsnanny Thu 26-Dec-19 23:50:46

Luckygirl ...I haven't been in your position, but I have looked after my mother who was saying similar things, and its such a worry.

Its very stressful and I'm sure you did your very best for him.

I'm sorry I don't have any helpful answers. flowers

Luckygirl Thu 26-Dec-19 23:30:51

First Xmas since OH went into NH. Lovely moments with DDs and families; and moments of struggle when visiting OH and dealing with his paranoia. Two very different days from the Christmases I have been used to - but thank goodness for family.

Did not quite know how to divide up the time - felt I should be with OH, but he was asleep a lot of the time. NH was holding a party when I arrived and he had been got up and dressed to join in (he does not usually leave his room - his choice) but in the middle of it he told me they were all celebrating that fact that they were planning to kill him - so that put a damper on things a bit. What a sorry state to be in.

How did others with partners in homes divide up their time I wonder.