Gransnet forums

Chat

New Year's Eve Melancholy

(146 Posts)
Lyndiloo Sun 29-Dec-19 03:42:16

Does anyone share my dread of New Year's Eve?

For everyone else it seems a joyful, positive time - looking forward to the year ahead and what happiness/success it might bring.

But for me, it's always a time of looking back, and feeling sad. Thinking of all those whom I've loved and have gone.

I put on a good show, of course - I wouldn't want to spoil all the excitement for everybody else. But inside, I'm crying.

EllaKeat Sat 04-Jan-20 22:15:51

Gosh, this thread has taken a dark turn.

Livelaughlove I am going to be very straight with you, so please excuse my bluntness.

I have just had my last New Years Eve. I will have a past Easter, but anything after that will be a bonus.
I am dying, BUT, I am loved. And that makes a huge difference to how one copes.

You are alive, going downhill(!), but still alive and kicking, so make your remaining time as happy as you can.

Muster some energy and make the changes now. It might be frightening and seem impossible, but honestly and truly, what have you got to lose?

As already said, start a new thread of your own.Gransnetters are a mine of information and support.

Granny23 Fri 03-Jan-20 10:59:52

Livelaughlove I don't know if it will be any help but I too am in a pit of gloom. I know that this always happens at this time of year, but like you and others on this thread, I recognise that as the days lengthen and spring arrives, I will feel so much better, energised and able to tackle problems.

I cling on to this understanding, kind of hibernate, force myself to do what needs to be done urgently, then sleep a lot, read a lot, spend too much time on GN and Talking Point. I survive because I know that this too will pass.

gillybob Fri 03-Jan-20 10:28:58

Just bumping this up
In the hope of some good advice for Livelaughlove.

gillybob Fri 03-Jan-20 09:59:34

Good idea inkycog could you possibly copy and paste your last post onto a brand new thread where it will be more visible (and hopefully attract some good advice ) Livelaughlove ?

inkycog Fri 03-Jan-20 09:57:07

May I suggest Lovelaughlive that you start a thread and outline some of your difficulties.

There are a lot of helpful people on this site.

gillybob Fri 03-Jan-20 09:54:24

I am so upset reading your post Lovelaughlive and don’t know where to start in response to you other than to say you cannot go on living like this .

YOU MUST GET OUTSIDE HELP !

Are you in the UK? Surely there are charities that can help you . The Samaritans will point you in the right direction .

Please, please, please Make it today that you do something to end this cruelty .

Sending you much needed hugs xx

inkycog Fri 03-Jan-20 09:47:02

put not out, obviously

inkycog Fri 03-Jan-20 09:44:43

Lovelaughlive, for God's sake muster a small amount of energy and get some help NOW. Nobody should be living like this.

Please kind Gransnetters, out your heads together and come up with some support for this lady.

annsixty Fri 03-Jan-20 09:39:13

I really don’t know what to say about those last two posts.
I feel so dreadfully sad and sorry for you, I cannot believe people who should be helping ,supporting and loving you could be so heartless.
You have my heartfelt sympathy.

Lovelaughlive Fri 03-Jan-20 03:50:16

* btw, just to reassure you all, I’m not going to carry out my mother’s wish to commit suicide. DM can get well and truly stuffed on that one!

Lovelaughlive Fri 03-Jan-20 03:10:08

I’m with Dollydinkum. I hate New Year and life spring, a time of nature waking up. Crocus’, daffodils, primroses etc, starting and finally flowering.
I seem to have lost so many friends and relatives like many of you, because of the world in which I circulate. I’ve reasoned of course, that there are bound to be more deaths than weddings; as it takes two to marry and one to die... But I’m relatively young compared to those who’ve mentioned their ages.
For me, I have an incurable neurological disease and even though my husband is quite a bit older than me, it’s highly probable that I’ll go before him.
But it also marks that time of year when I almost for want of trying to describe it, do a ‘body audit’, of things I could do last year and can’t this. The biggest is accepting that I need a wheelchair. I loathe the damn thing. I hate having someone pushing me. I hate sitting in it, especially with peoples expressions of sorrow, pity, assumptions and the more difficult human traits of patronisation, condescending, talking over me to my husband (especially in hospitals), etc. I know my walking has deteriorated significantly, my spasms have become worse and more frequent, my balance has deteriorated, my memory has worsened, the neurological pain has definitely increased, and so the list goes on.
Plus I’ve been diss gnoses with other conditions too.
So I absolutely loathe this time of year, but I look forward to spring. A time hopefully of blue skies, spring flowers, bird nest building, ducklings, leaves on trees unfurling, my garden awakening, (but the sadness that it used to be my favourite hobby, but now I really physically struggle now) and most of all, a temperature in which my neurological pain is at its least painful as the cold deadens my hands and feet, unlike summer or even winter. That has a knock on effect in that I feel a bit better physically.
But then my marriage is seriously dire. I’ve been told by the authorities that I’m classified as an adult at high risk because my marriage is abusive. He won’t come anywhere near me and looks at my body with barely hidden disgust. I bore him as I can’t keep up with him. So many days I wake up and there’s a sticker on my bed handle, telling me he’s gone out and he’ll be back mid afternoon. Most of the day has gone by then and I’m really waning by then, so he never sees me at my best. I wonder, and I’ve asked and it’s been denied, as to whether he’s having an affair. I yearn to be simply hugged, if nothing else. Or even touched affectionately. As for anything else, no, he won’t come near me. He prefers to sleep in the spare room. So I feel very alone.
My parents have also finally disowned me too. It’s been in the offing literally since before I was born. But now I’m considered an embarrassment. A burden. I saw them once last year, even then it was a family funeral, so inevitable. DM has said that I should commit suicide, like someone else we knew with the same condition, so that I should “not burden to anyone”. To “allow my husband a life”. Even to the extent that DM has made sure that I “know how to do it properly” and to “not b.... that one up!” She went into great detail as to how to do that one...
So what have I got to look forward to in 2020, I ask myself. I don't know is the truth. A hug would be nice. Is that a lot to ask?

QuaintIrene Wed 01-Jan-20 01:22:47

A Happy New Year Rufus2 ?

Rufus2 Wed 01-Jan-20 00:07:19

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! grin

I've just retreated indoors from a blazing sun with a cup of coffee in hand to join in your New Year celebrations! Cheer up and look forward to doing it all again in 2021
OoRoo

seacliff Tue 31-Dec-19 21:50:02

We are just sitting in different rooms watching rubbish tv (Startrek him, Netflix for me). I've enjoyed the Baileys and some more Christmas nibbles and satsumas. In the past we have had friends round usually but this year it didn't happen. We were asked to a "do", but it was quite a drive and a bit expensive so we didn't go.

It has never been my favourite time. It is often a big non event after all the hype. There always seems the thought that everyone else is having a great time, (not always true). There is also the thought now that at the end of another decade I may well not be here, as I have been getting much more unhealthy over the past 10 years. I should try a resolution to eat better and lose weight, but it never works so I don't bother now.

We have exchanged greetings earlier on WhatsApp with family. I will probably go to bed soon and read.

Beckett Tue 31-Dec-19 19:49:51

Since I have been on my own I find I no longer enjoy Christmas and New Year as much as I used to, in fact, I have felt no Christmas spirit this year at all (although I did make the effort of decorating, sending cards and buying presents).

I am alone (again) tonight, so will no doubt be in bed early but unable to sleep because of all the fireworks and parties going on around me.

Mommawolf Tue 31-Dec-19 19:15:51

New years eve is a nightmare we do not go out as our animals spend the night in sheer terror. Not just cats and dogs react to fireworks farm animals and wildlife go into meltdown. I can be sure that DH who is a vet will get called out more than once. Last year we had to sedate our elderly Husky when fear brought on fit. I HATE new years eve.

EllaKeat Tue 31-Dec-19 06:22:03

Oh Merlot, that is so difficult.
For everyone dealing with pain and sorrow, just remember, it really IS just another day.
That is what I am telling myself anyway.

Anniebach Mon 30-Dec-19 22:28:53

merlot understanding and hugs x

merlotgran Mon 30-Dec-19 22:21:41

We've had a terrible year and I'll be glad when it's over but there's nothing to be gained by too much melancholy. Our focus is now on our adult grandchildren and their interesting and exciting lives. We'll be on our own so I won't worry about shedding the tears I know will come. We'll drink a toast to our lovely daughter, message her sons who we know are both missing us and watch Jools Holland and then the fireworks because that's what we do.

Last NYE I was tearful because it was the 50th anniversary of my father's death. How wrong I was to think we were looking forward to a better year.

With DH's failing health at last taking a turn for the better I'm grasping at every positive straw. I can't wait to say goodbye to 2019 but I'm not taking 2020 for granted.

Harris27 Mon 30-Dec-19 22:05:05

I’ve read theses posts with definite recognition. I try to be cheerful but sometimes when a year has been so hard you think “ what will next year bring?” Whywhywhy I read yours nodding my head in agreement. All I can say is thanks to you all for getting me through this difficult year and giving me hope and a chuckle reading some of your posts. You do me good. Happy new year to you all ! Hope it’s a good one for all of you!

Kim19 Mon 30-Dec-19 21:40:07

B Lass & Maw B, very simple but profound stuff on page one. Can't stop reflecting on both of your sagacity a whole day later. Thank you both.

rosecarmel Mon 30-Dec-19 21:30:24

It's one more day to be grateful for being alive .. To love and suffer with all mankind ..

MawB Mon 30-Dec-19 19:30:32

Actually, thinking back 55+ years to Hogmanay in the Borders, I do remember snogging some rather tasty “young men” (i.e.boys) in the Market Place under the clock.....
hmm ? maybe nostalgia isn’t all bad gringrin
But no bliddy fireworks!

Sawsage2 Mon 30-Dec-19 19:04:47

Sad time. Awful family trouble for last 2 years with no respite in sight. You just have to get through life as best you can. Sorry.

Yehbutnobut Mon 30-Dec-19 16:30:46

Lyndiloo that’s very much what Auld Lang Syne is about. Time to reflect.