Gransnet forums

Chat

Broadening the appeal of the Lake District

(156 Posts)
inkycog Sun 29-Dec-19 17:27:39

The Lake District is seeking to broaden its appeal, amid concerns that swathes of the population feel excluded from national parks.

Richard Leafe, head of the Lake District National Park Authority in Cumbria, told Sky News that the parks' visitors are overwhelmingly older, able-bodied white people.

( great name for somebody with his job btw)

Fennel Thu 02-Jan-20 19:48:49

grin
Yes as from Jane Eyre " Reader, I married him".
But it wasn't a happy ever after.
My present husband was even more keen on roughing it.

Callistemon Thu 02-Jan-20 21:00:15

grin
Oh dear
I too found someone else whose idea of a fun holiday was borrowing a scout tent and a Calor gas stove, finding a field and 'roughing it'.
Thankfully he has mellowed as he got older, or achey joints put him off.

Fennel Fri 03-Jan-20 13:27:03

We must have played a part too though Callistemon.
I used to enjoy most of it until I finally rebelled against backpacking. always looking such an unwashed mess. That was when we changed to YHA.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 16:31:00

I rebelled after a damp holiday in Cornwall and having to trek across a field to the damp loos and showers.

We have done YHA but finally we bought a caravan but too little, too late, the DC didn't want to come any more!.

maddyone Fri 03-Jan-20 18:53:35

Oh Callistemon, I did that on my honeymoon, trekked across a wet field to the showers. We didn’t have any money for a proper honeymoon, so we went camping grin but we carried on camping when our children were born, first Eurocamp, then a trailer tent, then a caravan. Now it’s hotels or apartments, bliss.