Gransnet forums

Chat

Upcycling /recycling or reinventing the wheel?

(28 Posts)
MawB Mon 30-Dec-19 12:14:47

I am hugely amused - in a cynical sort of way - at how my AC and others of their generation are embracing eco- friendly actions as if they had invented them
For instance DD was massively impressed by “how clever” her high-flying City lawyer friend had been, cutting up last year’s Christmas cards to make this year’s gift tags.
Ahem? Excuse me?
When they were babies (over 40 years ago) I and my friends did that using pinking shears (because of course we made our children’s clothes too ), punching a hole in the corner and not only using them ourselves, but doing them into packs of 5 or 10 to sell at the church Christmas Bazaar.
What else qualifies as “nothing new under the sun” ?

Grammaretto Wed 01-Jan-20 21:00:28

when we moved into our 1930s house, I found a big pile of carefully folded brown parcel paper in a cupboard. I used them gratefully for years for covering school books and wrapping parcels. We were only the second owners of the house. There was also a neat milk bottle carrier which I still have though our litre bottles don't fit.

Callistemon Wed 01-Jan-20 21:07:57

Yes, ginny, my Dad used to cut the toes out of my sandals with a Stanley knife.

My house is filled with 'stuff' that might come in useful one day, all very tidy in boxes and cupboards I should add, just in case someone sends the producers of one of those hoarding programmes round here.