Gransnet forums

Chat

In 2020 I'm thinking of.....

(20 Posts)
Callistemon Wed 01-Jan-20 14:13:24

We've got one small clothes shop ninathenana!
Oh, and another one suitable for teens to twenties.

Greeneyedgirl Wed 01-Jan-20 13:37:29

If you are interested in sustainability Toast is a really innovative company, and I have bought from them. They are not cheap but clothing is made to last, and they will repair free of charge in their shops.
They also run patching and mending workshops.
They have started Toast Circle in some shops, where you can return their worn garments, and exchange for other worn garments. Great idea. (I am not connected with them btw).

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Jan-20 12:11:12

I intend to do my "bit" for the UK manufacturing industry and my High Street by buying British whenever possible.

I only use internet shopping when I am unable to get to the shops, and my purchase on Boxing Day was from a U.K. Company that manufactures in the U.K. and delivered by Royal Mail.

ninathenana Wed 01-Jan-20 12:03:12

JenniferEccles shopping in the High St. is impossible for me. We have two clothes shops in town. If you are 18-25 yrs old and size 8-10 your fine otherwise it's a 40 min drive to Bluewater via busy M20 or shop on line.

Callistemon Wed 01-Jan-20 11:25:38

If I send all my clothes to the charity shop and buy a new 'capsule wardrobe', am I destroying the planet or helping others?

Mind you, others may not want my clothes
But jobs would be saved

JenniferEccles Wed 01-Jan-20 11:14:30

Exactly Callistemon

The country’s economy thrives on us spending, obviously within our means of course.

I hate the thought of town centres becoming little more than ghost towns.

Of course free parking would help.

Callistemon Wed 01-Jan-20 11:03:19

I think buying underwear could be excused, Greeneyedgirl, it's essential rather than frivolous.

However, if we all do this then many people will lose their jobs, children may starve.

Callistemon Wed 01-Jan-20 11:01:24

inkcog if you have no money to support the High Street then the same applies to internet shopping.

So well done, you are saving the planet by not shopping.

I rarely buy clothes, partly due to the fact that I can never find anything I like or which suits me. So in theory I'm doing my bit too.

Davida1968 Wed 01-Jan-20 11:01:21

I've cut down on this already (not that I bought many clothes) but I may need some new bras in 2020....

henetha Wed 01-Jan-20 10:52:55

I will only buy the absolute minimum of new clothes.
But I am going to have pink streaks in my hair again. smile

Greeneyedgirl Wed 01-Jan-20 10:49:16

I am so impressed that some of you don't buy any clothes! I do keep clothes for ages and try to pay more for decent stuff, but recently this has become more difficult because even expensive clothing is poor quality, and often made in sweatshops abroad.
I find I have bought more since internet shopping became so easy, there is so much more choice.
Clothing, both in manufacture, transport, and disposal has a huge environmental impact, not to mention water use in the growing of raw materials such as cotton.
Our economy is dependent on over consumerism but surely this can't be sustainable?
This is my small contribution anyway, I hope I can stick to it when my bras look tatty, and knickers falling apart shock

inkycog Wed 01-Jan-20 10:21:28

What if you have no money to support the High Street?.....I know, I know......I am wasting my time.

JenniferEccles Wed 01-Jan-20 09:31:33

I am sure this is all very commendable but what about supporting the High Street?

I would suggest we all cut down on internet shopping and support our town centres instead as heaven knows they need it.

I have never bought cheap disposable clothes anyway as I prefer to have fewer well made, good quality clothes which last years.

Oh yes and wear possible, buy British. Not always easy I know!

mumofmadboys Wed 01-Jan-20 09:21:54

Good idea Greeneyedgirl. I have ordered a pair of jeggings in the Sale from M and S. Not picked up yet. Does that count as ordered before NY? I find trousers are the thing that wears out more than other items and bras.

Mapleleaf Tue 31-Dec-19 23:28:38

Crumbs, bl...y brexit gets into everything!!

inkycog Tue 31-Dec-19 22:02:53

No biggy for me. I don't buy new stuff.

quizqueen Tue 31-Dec-19 22:00:36

2010...I'm thinking we are actually going to get Brexit after almost 4 years of waiting...hurrah!!!

I hardly ever buy clothes so that one's easy.

Greenfinch Tue 31-Dec-19 21:56:35

Apart from underwear I never buy any new clothes anyway so it is not a problem for me.

Naty Tue 31-Dec-19 21:46:48

That's a great proposal! Unfortunately, we don't have many used clothing stores in my area.
But I'll try to cut down on any clothes shopping!!!

Greeneyedgirl Tue 31-Dec-19 21:41:42

Doing my bit for Climate Change by not buying ANY new clothes in 2020. Will anyone join me? If there are any special occasions and I need to buy something special to wear I will have to scour charity shops.