Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning New Years Day

(78 Posts)
12Michael Wed 01-Jan-20 06:14:00

A Happy New Year to everyone, and a Good Morning.
Its dark but its dry here in Brackley , retired early last night, but was woken by fireworks later.
Today , easy day change calendars, all xmas present to 2020 ones also compact planner wall chart .
Shall not do a great deal , apart from phone calls to sister.
mick

Mommawolf Wed 01-Jan-20 09:01:23

Deep clean

Yiayia4 Wed 01-Jan-20 09:03:14

Happy New Year Mick and everyone.
Hope 2020 is kind to you all.

Anniebach Wed 01-Jan-20 09:05:33

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Happy New Year x

gillybob Wed 01-Jan-20 09:08:49

Good morning and a very Happy New Year from the North East coast .

DH had a very sleepy day yesterday and I managed to get quite a few jobs done around the house. Sent a few work related emails etc. And then made his very favourite Cullen Skink for supper (as a surprise) which he devoured with 2 bread buns ! I am determined to get some weight back on him .

Anyway we were both in bed by 9.30 (him fast asleep) and I sent a few HNY texts to family . Played a couple of games of Word Soup and then listened to the FireWorks going on around the town. DH had his usual night of ups and downs but he is sleeping now so I will leave him in peace while I enjoy my second cup of tea of the morning.

A beautiful sunrise this morning which I hope heralds the start of a much better year than the last one.

Much love to all my Gransnet friends .

Love Gillybob x

kittylester Wed 01-Jan-20 09:13:18

Good morning all from a slightly cloudy North Leicestershire.

I didnt quite manage midnight last night.

Not much on today. Dh and DS1 are off to the football and I am aiming to do some tv watching.

Suederlou Wed 01-Jan-20 09:18:29

First time post here after making a resolution to stop being a voyeur on Gransnet and taking part. Unfortunately I am a bit slothful about getting going in the morning. Perhaps another resolution needed. Hoping 2020 is kind to you all and look forward to keeping in touch from now on. X

gillybob Wed 01-Jan-20 09:20:51

Welcome to this wonderful Good Morning thread Suederlou hope to see you posting regularly. Where abouts are you ? smile

Suederlou Wed 01-Jan-20 09:20:53

Forgot to say it is a lovely sunny start to the day on the Fylde coast x

Suederlou Wed 01-Jan-20 09:22:35

Thank you gillybob
you are an inspirational woman x

annsixty Wed 01-Jan-20 09:23:48

Good morning to all on New Year’s Day.
I managed for the first time in many years to stay up until after midnight, we’ll not up exactly but in bed wide awake.
I was in on my own from about 9pm when my GD and her friend went out to meet friends and go “ clubbing”.
They came in at 3am but my GD is bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning.
Her friend is still asleep.
It turned very cold yesterday afternoon but seems mild again this morning.
I wish all on GN a very happy New Year with good or in some cases much better health.

Greyduster Wed 01-Jan-20 09:24:22

Good morning Michael and Happy 2020 to you and all GNs! We bucked the trend last night and stayed up to see in the New Year. Fireworks going off in surrounding gardens. Today we are taking down our ridiculous Christmas tree which has once again blocked all the light from our living room (now christened the gloom room) so that I can bear it no longer. I have given DH an ultimatum; next year the conservatory or the scrap heap! Chicken curry for dinner. Have a good NYD folks!

gillybob Wed 01-Jan-20 09:25:51

Oh so the Lancashire coast Suederlou ? I am on the opposite side of the country to you. Right on the edge of the North East coast . I can see the North Sea from my bedroom window . It’s a lovely clear morning this morning too but blummin’ cold .

GrannySomerset Wed 01-Jan-20 09:27:24

New Year greetings to GNers and hope that it brings what we all want in our different lives. Low key celebrations here last night (tea and a special biscuit from DS’s F&H hamper) but a lunchtime gathering with local friends and neighbours will be lovely.

DD and family arrive tomorrow so must make the last batch of mince pies or there will be complaints.

BlueSapphire Wed 01-Jan-20 09:28:55

Good morning from a very grey Northampton. Might have gone for a walk today if there had been a glimmer of sunshine, but as it is will stay in and chill after a busy day with the DGDs yesterday.

Managed to stay up till midnight to watch the fireworks and caught some Jools Holland. Looking forward to seeing him on my cruise in July.

Going to open some fizz later and have a late brunch - smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Then put a chilli in the slow cooker for tonight.

Welcome Suederlou.

A happy New Year to all.

gillybob Wed 01-Jan-20 09:29:15

Had a long chat with DS on the phone last night and his girls both got “dolled up to the nines” (they are almost 12 and almost 14) . They both had friends staying over . DS asked “why are you all dolled up? Are you planning on going somewhere?” ....”Eh no dad, we just couldn’t possibly enter 2020 without looking gorgeous “ ....... oh dear . My poor son is gonna have his hands full with those two.

mumofmadboys Wed 01-Jan-20 09:32:52

Happy new year to all!

Mythbirtthedragon Wed 01-Jan-20 09:34:42

Good morning from east London, dry but dull. Great relief to wake just before 9, having been woken by a phone call from DP’s friend at 5.55, especially when it was gone 2 when we got to bed. I think the bopping last night wore me out, don’t think it was the half a lager shandy. DS had friends around to celebrate the new year, having a games marathon; they weren’t noisy, there is no mess (lot of glass and tin recycling tho) and they all appear to have gone home. They were also very complimentary about the revamped house and basement. Going to see DS today (she is now officially ‘late’ and on a countdown to induction) for a gentle walk and the cinema (or something). Have a good day and the ‘Deep peace of the running wave to you’.

NannyJan53 Wed 01-Jan-20 09:34:45

Good Morning and a Happy New Year from The Black Country.

Had a good evening last night, the band were very good and got people dancing. We even managed to chat to the couple sitting near us above the noise! Back home by 1pm and I am just up. Partner still asleep.

I think it will be a brunch of a full English later , a rare treat.

Then it will be taking down of the Christmas Decorations.

Hopefully manage a walk later this afternoon.

Welcome to this thread Suederlou (great name) smile

I sincerely hope this new year will be much better for you and your DH gilly

mancgirl Wed 01-Jan-20 09:38:40

Good morning and a Happy New Year from a lovely sunny Manchester. Blue sapphire that's our intended brunch too?. Decs and cards down this afternoon, had enough of them! Healthy wishes to all.

harrigran Wed 01-Jan-20 09:39:47

Good morning from a bright NE.
Quiet evening in, watched the Paddington film, watched the fireworks on TV.
Family coming for dinner rather than lunch, thought it would give time for a lie in.
Wishing all a Happy New Year.

Samiejb Wed 01-Jan-20 09:40:21

Happy New Year everyone from Taunton hope you all get what you wish for.

Como2020 Wed 01-Jan-20 09:41:49

Good Morning from the Somerset/Dorset borderlands.

Very pleased to know Mr. Gillybob is continuing well.

Dry, grey and dull - my least favourite kind of weather - but thank goodness it doesn’t describe how I feel! Am full of hope that this new year will be more settled than the previous 2 years!

Good wishes to you all for 2020. ?

moggie Wed 01-Jan-20 09:42:04

Good morning Mick & all from dry, grey Nottingham. Happy & healthy New Year everyone.
No plans today, a bit tired after work y’day & out with friends last night for a few drinks.
Hello Suederlou
Hope all not well or struggling feel better soon.
Have a good day everyone.

gillybob Wed 01-Jan-20 09:43:43

...and to you too Samiejb and welcome to the Good Morning thread if you are new (apologies if I have missed you, I’m all at 6’s and 7’s with myself lately) smile

Normal service will be resumed and I will be back to my miserable cow self soon enough. wink

dragonfly46 Wed 01-Jan-20 09:46:56

Just need to say Gilly I am so happy to sense a slight lift in your mood. May it continue and this year your DH will be made better.