Gransnet forums

Chat

I’ve already had great news this New Year.

(71 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Wed 01-Jan-20 08:20:53

My DD & her DH are well and their house is still standing.
A few houses have burnt down a couple of miles away.
Still no electricity and very very smokey. (They are in Australia)

They are safe and well so we are so relieved.

It goes without saying that we are so sorry for those who weren’t so lucky.

Callistemon Mon 06-Jan-20 20:57:39

Proud of my young DGS who has donated his Christmas money to the fund.

BradfordLass72 Sun 05-Jan-20 19:20:49

There's an article about what the firefighters need

www.mamamia.com.au/how-to-become-a-volunteer-firefighter

"Firies supplies shopping list" sad but endearing.

Callistemon Sun 05-Jan-20 19:14:36

DD sometimes travels to Sunshine Coast for work
She suffers from asthma too.

seacliff Sun 05-Jan-20 19:05:09

Callistemon - central Brisbane has no fires. I understand they were north of Brisbane on sunshine coast and also inland. The smoke has apparently drifted across though and caused air pollution in the centre. Nothing like as devastating as some areas.

Callistemon Sun 05-Jan-20 18:33:20

I didn't realise central Brisbane had been affected.

seacliff Sun 05-Jan-20 17:30:07

My son is in central Brisbane, so thank goodness he is not near to the fires. However, even there, his asthma has returned for the first time in 8 years, due to the poor air quality from the fires in the surrounding areas, and he is back on inhalers.

I just cannot believe what is happening across so much of Australia. The poor wildlife and people affected. It does not seem to have been handled well by those in control. The firefighters are heroic.

Callistemon Sun 05-Jan-20 17:01:26

A great relief Sarahmob

Sarahmob Sun 05-Jan-20 16:58:14

So pleased to be able to say that we managed to contact out Aussie family today and that they’re all well. So relieved.

Callistemon Sat 04-Jan-20 18:08:22

I'm sure she does, Pamela
Enjoy your trip, they will be so pleased to see you.

PamelaJ1 Sat 04-Jan-20 18:07:23

Callistemon, we missed a flight once but didn’t have to pay anything extra. Cathy Pacific are brilliant.
However, I think if we cancel the whole thing. We have car hire and a few hotels booked too we would lose it all.
I think the Aussies want us to come. I think DD needs a cuddle.

Callistemon Sat 04-Jan-20 10:55:59

We had to change our return flights once because we needed to stay longer and, as far as I remember, it didn't cost very much.

However, you may find things not as bad as you fear, I hope so.
You might be able to buy masks here and take an extra suitcase full!
Praying for rain but I don't think any is on its way down south.

PamelaJ1 Sat 04-Jan-20 10:14:20

Callistamon, not really, unless we are willing to lose the money. There are no official restrictions on travel to Australia at the moment.

We have to be back in the U.K. for the Easter hols to do a bit of childminding.

We have been many times before and seen a lot of Australia so travelling around isn’t important. We are just going to visit family. It sounds as though we may be doing a lot of dusting!

chocpuppy, I have a family member that I can quiz about the masks. Will do, better safe than sorry.

chocpuppy Sat 04-Jan-20 09:58:40

Hi PamelaJ1
Depends on where you are. I am not using them, where I am is not too bad, but I think I heard on television that some places have completely run out of masks.
Some masks are useless as the particles are so fine. Sorry, I can't advise you what to get, but only what you need to avoid......

Callistemon Sat 04-Jan-20 09:58:19

Can you postpone your trip, Pamela?

I think Canadian firefighters went over too, giving up their Christmas and NY holidays to volunteer.
When we were there 3 months ago, NSW firefighters were in Queensland helping to fight fires there; they must be beyond exhausted.

PamelaJ1 Sat 04-Jan-20 09:43:50

Are you using masks over there?
My DD has sent a message to take some when we go over next month.
Are they in short supply?
We could have timed our trip better I think.

chocpuppy Sat 04-Jan-20 07:01:47

Dear BradforLass72,
I knew there were others helping us, but I didn't know the Kiwis had been here since then. I think a lot of Australians don't or didn't realise how much the volunteers, wherever they are from, have done for us before the "fire season" started.
I am amazed to hear how your and our volunteers have done so much at their own expense, apart from the obvious sacrifice of their time and safety.
On a different note, I just loved this photo and wanted to share: picture attached of Millie the dog being evacuated from Mallacoota by the Navy......
For more info, see www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-04/bushfire-mallacoota-evacuees-arrive-at-hastings-on-mv-sycamore/11840576.

BradfordLass72 Sat 04-Jan-20 06:45:18

Our government has been sending NZ firefighters over The Ditch to help since October 2019.

The Australians men and women firefighers had been working round the clock, beyond exhausted.

Many of our volunteer firepersons smile also took their annual holidays and at their own expense, flew to Australia to assist.

"Fire and Emergency New Zealand (FENZ) rural fire manager Tim Mitchell said when the organisation had put the call out for firefighters to go to Australia it had been inundated with offers."

chocpuppy Fri 03-Jan-20 21:22:39

Hi PamelaJ1
I am in the village part of Blackheath, which I think is fairly safe, but there are a lot of trees around. My worry is flying embers, I live in a small timber cottage. No heroics here, bags and car have been packed for about a month.
The firies are UNBELIEVABLE, how do we ever thank them? They have been working for weeks and yes, many, I think most, are volunteers. There are calls to pay them, at least in this situation. The Prime Minister was rejecting that but there was so much pressure to pay them, that he has agreed to making some money available.
I did hear of one lake near me being used for water but the level was so low because it is so dry here at the moment they had to stop using it.
There is some rain, not a lot, but some, predicted for early next week. Hopefully that will relieve things a little.

PamelaJ1 Fri 03-Jan-20 16:43:29

Chocpuppy, they have ignored me anyway!

So many trees where you live, are you concerned and ready to go?

The firies (I’d never heard the term either!) have been totally amazing, so many of them are volunteers.
There were 3 of these planes going over my DD’s house every five minutes the other day. I presume they were picking up water from the lake.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 10:09:29

Sent by a friend:

"You will never see our politicians this tired - True Australian heroes"

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 10:05:29

There seems to be rising anger against the politicians.
Their recent policies have made the situation far worse according to many people.

PamelaJ1 Fri 03-Jan-20 10:03:39

Thank you Bradfordlass.

So many poor,poor people dealing with this terrible fire.
The bit that I saw on the news this morning were showing a fire engine almost touching the flames.
Those men and women are above brave.

BradfordLass72 Fri 03-Jan-20 09:53:14

PamelaJ1 Thank you for the update [smille] - I think I may be almost as relieved as you!!

PamelaJ1 Fri 03-Jan-20 09:38:34

Bradfordlass- she is safely back in Sydney now.

They weren’t alone, the whole of Sussex Inlet and that includes there little hamlet have only one road to the main highway.
Both the main highway and the access road were closed.
As has been seen on the news that is common in Australia.
That’s why so many people have been trapped.
There are 3 ways to get out of the small village that I live in.

chocpuppy Fri 03-Jan-20 01:56:03

Dear PamelaJ1
For what it's worth, I wouldn't worry about the title of your post. Any good news is gratefully received, I am in the Blue Mountains in NSW and there is so much pain in the media, it is lovely to hear that anyone is okay.