Gransnet forums

Chat

Going out shopping supermarket in nightwear

(133 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 01-Jan-20 13:24:15

I had to laugh lady shopping in well known supermarket this morning in pjs slippers n dressing gown, oh how times have changed, I’ve seen a few now, not in full attire generally pjs and coat over, I’m not judging each to their own, at least was dressed,I did think of those of us that feel naked if we haven’t got our mascara on to open the door,

maddyone Thu 09-Jan-20 19:31:33

Haha Chestnut, maybe we were sisters in an earlier life grin

Chestnut Thu 09-Jan-20 15:39:24

Maddyone - are you actually me?

maddyone Wed 08-Jan-20 11:15:04

I wouldn’t go out in my pyjamas either. I wear track suit bottoms and a top around the house but always change into my jeans or jeggins to go out, but with the same top on. I used to wear make up all the time, but I will now venture into the local shops without my face on. I still wear make up for any other outings though.

Silverlady333 Wed 08-Jan-20 10:22:24

I wear leisure bottoms around the house with a T shirt or jumper but never go out shopping in them. I certainly couldn't go shopping in my nightclothes as I sleep commando!

Yiayia4 Sat 04-Jan-20 19:14:50

Saw a lady today in our local town wearing a dressing gown over normal clothes??

Rosina Sat 04-Jan-20 14:11:43

Sarah65 - yes, that's my thought too. I don't suppose anyone would shower or wash and then put them back on - so it does seem a bit crummy to come out without as much as a freshen up. However, some people probably get up and get dressed without venturing near soap and water, so I suppose it's simply a sign of a more relaxed society. Personally I wouldn't leave the house without my eye makeup - not to mention a shower and shampoo, but then I probably overdo it. Early training I fear!

lemongrove Thu 02-Jan-20 21:40:33

I think sometimes wearing judgie pants is essential Iam winkI would certainly pull a pair on if there was a hotel fire alarm.

Iam64 Thu 02-Jan-20 21:32:54

I try to avoid wearing my Judgie pants too often but going out pygamas - yuk

Mommawolf Thu 02-Jan-20 21:30:05

I have often seen mums at the school gates in nightware and have wondered what happens if the car breaks down. I use a track suit for the first dog walk at 6am then shower and dress perhaps its an age thing, I am over 70 but would never leave the house in clothes I have slept In. A wash takes no time at all.

Merryweather Thu 02-Jan-20 21:27:30

Some garments are difficult to categorise into clothes, loungewear or pjs.
Sliders look like fluffy slippers and coatigans look like dressing gowns. Some leggings/ balloon trousers look like PJ bottoms.
I've been too ill on occasion to get dressed and have been taken to the GP in my pjs.
Similarly, I've dropped my daughter to school in them then unwell and not got out of the car. Otherwise she wouldn't have been able to go.
I shower and put on clean pjs as soon as I'm able. It's not a daily occurrence for me to leave the house without a shower, hair wash, proper clothes and makeup.
I would never go shopping in pjs. I have been called into work ( vet) and there was no time to get dressed. Or at 2|3 am when checking on patients (5 min job) and there was no one around. The animals didn't seem to mind.

Morgie52 Thu 02-Jan-20 20:12:21

Each to their own but I wont be doing any shopping in my pyjamas.

Resurgam123 Thu 02-Jan-20 19:52:44

NO NO NO . Well I can't help feeling that it is really wrong to not have some general self respect.
But I cannot quite think why it is not a good idea.
Going out to the shops in your PJs is not good but you should not be doing anything to make others feel uncomfortable.
I am known to wander about in my back garden in my dressing gown when I inspect my garden ,when the plants have started to grow. I have to talk to them
It is quite secluded.

MissAdventure Thu 02-Jan-20 19:36:42

grin

cupaffull Thu 02-Jan-20 19:10:33

Hear hear...Sara65 "It’s not just the fact that they’re wearing their pyjamas all day, you have to assume they haven’t washed or showered either, not for me I’m afraid."

....UGH. Filthy toe rags, don't care about themselves, don't care about others......don't care at all.... Slovenly.
Doesn't take a minute to make yourself presentable. You don't dress for others, you dress for yourself, it's an attitude of mind.

4allweknow Thu 02-Jan-20 19:07:28

Summerlove hard to think women have stopped dressing to please men when on most nights in towns women wear practically a couple of handkerchiefs even when its raining and howling winds. Hard to believe it's all for their own enjoyment.

Calendargirl Thu 02-Jan-20 18:33:08

There’s a tv advert often on which shows a chap jumping out of his D.... D..... wearing pyjamas and dressing gown, just buying his daily paper. Must check if he’s wearing slippers.

HannahLoisLuke Thu 02-Jan-20 18:21:35

Haven't seen it thank goodness.
Just seems slovenly to me.

Daisyboots Thu 02-Jan-20 18:08:14

Never gone out in PJs myself although have seen people in supermarkets wearing them when in England. A few winters ago I was staying in a Premier Inn when the fire alarm went off. Although the staff knew the reason we still had to leave the building until after the fire brigade had come to check. I quickly pulled jeans on an tucked my nightie in , socks shoes and top coat on and out I went. But many people had come out as they were and hadn't even grabbed a coat. It was -2C. Eventually they let us wait in the pub restaurant next door. Some man had tried to disconnect the smoke alarm in his room (presumably to have a cigarette without going out in the cold) which was what set the alarm off.

grannyrebel7 Thu 02-Jan-20 17:49:04

Our local Tesco banned anyone wearing PJs. Don't know if they were able to enforce the rule though.

NotTooOld Thu 02-Jan-20 17:22:01

I'm with Suze and Tilly - what does it matter what one wears (so long as it is clean and comfortable)? And don't most people sleep naked these days so perhaps putting on pyjamas in the morning IS getting dressed.

paperbackbutterfly Thu 02-Jan-20 17:16:11

Last year, I was waiting for a bus to work in coat, hat scarf boots etc and a lady walked past in her nightwear on the way to the newsagents. I wondered if she had a mental illness and was 'wandering', I now find out it's classed as normal. confused

Juicylucy Thu 02-Jan-20 17:11:52

I think it depends where you live, we see it every now and again and they are from the travelling community.

narrowboatnan Thu 02-Jan-20 16:40:02

Living on a boat, we don’t have a garden so the dog gets taken out on a lead for her toilet breaks. She decided that she needed to go very early - about 5.30 - one summer morning so I thought, as we were moored in ‘the middle of nowhere’ that I’d be ok to just get out of bed and take her out just in my nightie. She needed a poo and I bent over to pick it up just as a bloke out jogging came up behind me. The nightie was short. I am very Rubenesque. Poor man. I’ve often wondered if he had nightmares after that.

CleoPanda Thu 02-Jan-20 16:28:29

I have had nightmares occasionally where I arrived at a place or event inappropriately dressed in my nightwear. Do you think these ”PJs to the shops folk” have nightmares about turning up fully dressed??

hollysteers Thu 02-Jan-20 16:23:05

Flying nowadays, it’s quite common on budget flights, to see groups of girls with massive hair rollers strolling around the airport and boarding lol
Planes and airports to me used to be spots of hopefully glamour in one’s life...