Gransnet forums

Chat

Fav ice cream from yester year

(40 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 01-Jan-20 18:11:51

Does anyone remember a ice cream lolly on a sick banana flavoured with a thick block of toffee inside, it would have been in the mid sixties, I am trying to think what it was called but I know it was before Lord Toffingham lolly

bikergran Sat 11-Jan-20 13:22:20

When boyfriend and I went to pictures, we would call in toffee shop where they made MILK VIM ice lollies in a square tub.

Yes it was vimto and milk...blaaaaaaaaaa couldn't even think of having one now.

Also the "proper" rasberry sauce they put on your ice cream cone at the ice cream van.

EllanVannin Fri 10-Jan-20 21:52:57

Tutti frutti ice cream. Bits of cherry and angelica. Lovely.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 10-Jan-20 18:41:27

Yes that’s it Hetty58 what I would give for one of those this min

Nannytopsy Fri 10-Jan-20 18:31:45

Banana flavoured milk lollies! In Cardiff there was a shop that made Prohibition special ice cream - Cointreau flavoured!!

grannyticktock Fri 10-Jan-20 18:09:24

Thre icecream memories:
1. The first time I can remember having a fancy icecream was when I was about four; it was a choc ice with mint flavoured green icecream. I had never had an icecream with so many attributes, and was very impressed.
2. Walls' Raspberry Ripple, as mentioned by Phoenix, as a Sunday lunch treat.
3. Strawberry Mivvis, which were also much nicer when they first came out in the late 1950s than they are now. At 6d, I couldn't afford them often, but they were a summer treat if I had pocket money to spare. I had one the day I heard I had passed the 11+.

Esther1 Fri 10-Jan-20 17:42:42

Back in the sixties my granny used to make ice cream using some sort of bought packet mix. Anyone know what this may have been? All I know is that it was absolutely delicious - albeit probably full of chemicals being from a packet.

MawB Thu 09-Jan-20 22:03:20

As a child my first experience of flavoured ice cream was in Duisburg in Germany where an Italian ice cream shop called Panziera’s (I think, I was no more than 5!) sold flavours I had never dreamed of - chocolate, strawberry, pistachio, lemon, apricot, black currant and many more.
Our local (also Italian) ice cream shop called Brugnoni’s sold the most amazing vanilla, but nobody on our wee town had heard of flavours until shops started selling bricks of Neapolitan (?) -pink, white, green which Mum wrapped in a sheet of newspaper and kept in the ice box of our small fridge.
Happy memories!

LullyDully Thu 09-Jan-20 20:48:15

Raspberry Ripple was nice.

nonnasusie Thu 09-Jan-20 18:45:11

I remember the Ice cream shop in Henley in Arden too! Strawberry was my favourite as well!!

Hetty58 Thu 09-Jan-20 18:31:31

Found it!

Hetty58 Thu 09-Jan-20 18:20:56

I do remember the toffee banana lolly. It tasted fantastic. My favourite has to be rum and raisin.

jenpax Thu 09-Jan-20 18:18:25

I agree watermeadow I remember having my first taste of Italian ice cream on holiday in Venice aged 11 it was pistachio which is still my favourite flavour! Now days we can easily get excellent quality ice creams everywhere and so many lovely flavours whereas as a child growing up on the Sussex coast apart from the excellent Mr Whippy! I was confined to raspberry ripple or Neapolitan both of which tasted nothing like “real” ice cream!

watermeadow Mon 06-Jan-20 17:21:36

My poor children grew up with rubbish like Wall’s and Nestle’s, which tasted like margarine and was no doubt made from the same ingredients, mostly fish oil plus loads of artificial colours and flavours and preservatives.
Hoorah for all the good ice cream available now!

MissAdventure Mon 06-Jan-20 16:34:30

They're still there, along the seafront. smile

fivegee Mon 06-Jan-20 14:46:02

Annie 26, I lived in Essex (South Ockendon) as a child and remember Rossi's ice cream, the very best. I believe they were based in Southend-on-Sea.

Annie26 Mon 06-Jan-20 13:31:03

Definitely Rossi's ice cream. Used to love their ice cream sodas that they sold in their shop near to where we lived in Essex. Still the best ice cream in my opinion

MawB Mon 06-Jan-20 12:58:42

What is a sick banana ?
Doesn’t sound very appetising to me!

Nannanna Mon 06-Jan-20 12:29:26

Just remembered Count Dracula black ice on the outside with a red centre - in the 70's

janipat Fri 03-Jan-20 10:44:09

Hockings ice cream whenever in North Devon, preferably in an "oyster shell" wafer, yummy.
Used to love the green, vanilla and chocolate Neapolitan ice cream wafer dad treated us to from Woolworth's when I was a child.

BradfordLass72 Fri 03-Jan-20 10:30:40

On special occasions, such as birthdays, Mum would buy a Neopolitan, 3 flavours. I didn't like the pink bit but my sister did.

The only other time I had ice cream was after I started working and used to go to the pictures and treat myself to a choc ice in the interval.

Now there are so many choices in the supermarket (110, I just looked) that I could take my pick but I buy, 'Vanilla Bean Zlich' for my grandson (and occasionally pinch a bit) which has no added sugar, is wheat and gluten free and reduced fat. They do a chocolate version as well.

I still prefer frozen fresh banana blended to a cream.

jenpax Thu 02-Jan-20 15:01:08

Still love Mr Whippy ?

Grannyboots1 Thu 02-Jan-20 14:56:57

In the early seventies, our meal quite often would end with a Mr Wippy from a van.... if we were lucky !!

TrendyNannie6 Thu 02-Jan-20 12:33:26

Thankyou soo much Grannyactivist it was called Whizz

Teetime Thu 02-Jan-20 11:09:42

Rossi's Lemon Ice Cream Sandwich from the van.

Oopsminty Thu 02-Jan-20 10:36:32

We had a fabulous shop near us that sold mainly cheese and butter etc

They made their own vanilla ice cream

I've never tasted an ice cream so delicious since