Gransnet forums

Chat

First time Granny, baby due this weekend

(37 Posts)
Allamanda Fri 03-Jan-20 09:00:57

It’s happening soon, today or this weekend my first grandchild will be born in Hospital. A week earlier than predicted. Suddenly thinking - Am I ready? My daughter is very fortunate to have a lot of support ready and mother-in law next door to her home. My daughter is well prepared with everything at home. Any suggestions as to what I should do as soon as invited to see baby and Mum in Hospital? Maybe things I haven’t thought of? Definitely tissues as already very emotional. smile

GrandmainOz Mon 06-Jan-20 04:25:39

How exciting. It's such a special time. My only advice is follow the new mum's lead. My DDs and DIL were all different after having their babies. One needed frequent company. One appreciated more practical things, a lasagne provided, the laundry pegged out etc and the third really wanted her space but loved being taken out for coffee and cake every couple of days to get out of the house.
The only thing I did the same for all three was buy a giftbag of pretty - but very comfortable - nighties, dressing gown and slippers in favourite colours with some natural, sensitive skin moisturisers and body wash etc.
I gave them shortly pre birth so they could be used at hospital or at home as desired and they all seemed pleased. I popped some big cotton granny knickers in too as I remembered from my first experience not being adequately prepared in the undies department. I don't think any of them took offence!!

NotSpaghetti Sun 05-Jan-20 23:49:42

If they are coming home quickly just take something cold in a cool bag as hospitals are far too hot.
Bring away anything they don't need as its hard to manage in nearly no space.

Look after the dad a bit as they invariably are "left out" and be sure to see the new mum as an adult in her own right. Tell the new parents how well they are doing as they need to believe they can do this.

Be quietly and gently supportive of their decisions. You will be fine.

Congratulations all of you.

Jane10 Sun 05-Jan-20 21:31:26

Oh I just checked back to see if that baby had arrived yet! Fingers crossed all is well and the OP is happily involved in baby related family comings and goings.

GrannyLaine Sun 05-Jan-20 19:33:16

Allamanda do come back and tell us about the new arrival!

notanan2 Sat 04-Jan-20 12:47:35

Guiness actually has very very little iron or vit B in it. It does have a little but not enough to count as a suppliment: it was just brilliant marketing and back then you could call things tonics even if they didnt have significant amounts in them

notanan2 Sat 04-Jan-20 12:45:53

Alcohol still isnt banned for the duration of breastfeeding either

janeainsworth Sat 04-Jan-20 12:42:38

I think it was standard NCT advice in the 70’s Trisher & not just your Mum’s generation.

I drank Guinness mixed with milk while breastfeeding. An easy way of getting protein & B vitamins if you were too busy to even make a sandwich for lunch.

trisher Sat 04-Jan-20 11:22:13

This reminds me of my mum who was told by her doctor when she was breastfeeding to drink Guiness, because it would help her milk. It's a family joke that that's why my brother likes it now. (Sorry I know it's not about OP).

notanan2 Sat 04-Jan-20 10:54:51

Don't bring alcohol. Not for bf nursing mums. A pretty nightie with front opening? A nursing pillow?

See. A bottle of champagne was one of my favorite presents with my first. To me it said "I still see you as an adult/person, not just "the mum", and you will get back to normal soon"
But it would upset someone else.

Thats why these sorts of threads have limited use. As its a "play to your audience" situation.

GrannyLaine Sat 04-Jan-20 10:43:37

vinasol that is just the perfect form of support.

vinasol Sat 04-Jan-20 10:37:11

My mum came round in the morning's to let me have a bath. She'd look after the baby and do a quick wash and tidy up, then she'd be off home again. It was invaluable.

Flossieturner Sat 04-Jan-20 10:21:46

My GCs range from 25 down to 4 and I think that, since the explosion of Social Media, I am a lot more careful now. With my latest GC I have been more conscious not to tread on toes. For example, when one 3 year old was staying with me, I telephoned my DiL to ask her if it was alright to ‘take him to see Santa, or was that something she wanted to do herself?’ She replied, “Yes, no problem, but thank you for asking”. It would never have occurred to me to ask that sort of thing with the older GC’s parents. However MN is full of Threads about Parents wanting to do things first.

Fortunately I have been lucky not to have suffered the wrath of any of my DCs or their partners. Or maybe I am deluding myself and they have just kept it to themselves .?

Yennifer Fri 03-Jan-20 17:05:17

I think the most important for me was to be allowed to hold my own baby and for no photos taken unless I asked for them to be. Same at home, just let me hold my baby, make your own tea, do a bit of washing up if needed, hold the baby when I need the loo etc. Hold the baby if I asked. Those were the things that bothered me the most. People basically taking my babies and not giving them back if they got fussy even though it made both of us stressed.

Allamanda Fri 03-Jan-20 16:56:09

Thank you for all the helpful advice today. Have added a non-alcoholic bottle of fizz as gift so new Mum can celebrate and couldn’t resist a matching hat and mittens for baby as I passed the Joules shop today.

Jane10 Fri 03-Jan-20 15:35:00

What an exciting time for you. When my DD was in hospital after a C section what she really wanted was a ham salad roll! Everyone had brought sweet things like chocs and other treats but she missed something savoury and crunchy.
Just a thought.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 03-Jan-20 15:22:57

Congratulations, enjoy your GC and just go with what the parents want.

Allamanda Fri 03-Jan-20 14:42:51

Thank you, I will be called Granny, eyes well up just thinking about the joy coming.

trisher Fri 03-Jan-20 11:39:06

Congratulations. Do you know how long she will be in hospital? It varies so much these days, some are in and out. One thing you could ask is do they need any help when she is discharged. The dad will pick her and baby up of course but sometimes it's nice if someone is at the house just to see them in and help carry things, maybe make a cup of tea then disappear. All new mums are different, all new babies are too. Just ask what you can do, maybe do something special like cook, But try not to criticise or take over.Little present for the baby by the way and something like a perfume or lotion you know your DD loves just to show you realise she's still herself and not just baby's mum. Have fun and enjoy.

Newatthis Fri 03-Jan-20 11:37:02

Yes, go with the flow.A little something for the new mum will be appreciated I think and a small gift for baby. Don't give any advice unless you're asked and love, love love - it's wonderful! Congratulations!

ladymuck Fri 03-Jan-20 11:29:52

Lovely news. I hope all goes well.

LadyGracie Fri 03-Jan-20 11:28:18

How wonderful!

I would just go with the flow, visit when asked and enjoy this special time.

Our one and only grandchild (3 on New Year’s Day) was only a matter of hours old when we saw her. She was and still is, very precious, a miracle baby. I didn’t expect a cuddle but we both had one.

We’re truly blessed sunshine

Grammaretto Fri 03-Jan-20 11:13:36

Congratulations!
How exciting.
I've been a DG 7 times now but it never gets less of a thrill.

I find my DD and DiLs are very different and no one needed the same as another. so you will know your DD better than anyone else.

We arrived at the hospital when "my" first was born by Csection so mum was in for some days. Her own DP were the first to visit naturally. We made sure our DS was coping. grin

Subsequently, we saw them at home and another DiL was up and serving cups of tea to us the same day!! I told her to go back to bed. We had looked after the 2 yr old.

Don't bring alcohol. Not for bf nursing mums. A pretty nightie with front opening? A nursing pillow?

Witzend Fri 03-Jan-20 10:42:11

And perhaps holding/rocking/singing to a restless new baby while she went for a shower, or a short nap.
I would always wait to be asked, though.

Witzend Fri 03-Jan-20 10:38:41

How exciting for you!
My dd - incidentally expecting no. 3 any time soon! - was always very grateful for meals that were ready just to heat up, or go in the freezer if not needed right away.

Plus of course any tidying up, loading the dishwasher, etc. ,or fetching any shopping, loading the washing machine (if they’d be happy with that, my dd didn’t give a toss if I saw the very stained dress she’d given birth in, having only just made it to the hospital last time!).

However my dd is very easy-going. Some people wouldn’t care for even a parent going through their washing or tut tutting at the state of e.g. kitchen cupboards - if they were anything like mine ? that is!

Ninarosa Fri 03-Jan-20 10:37:43

I didn't take anything in on the first visit as new Mum and baby had a few small problems and I'd already bought so much for baby in the run up to the birth. Perhaps some of those slipper type long socks for padding about in.
In the last six weeks since birth I've found a regular supply of meals, some decanted into small freezer boxes to be eaten as nutritious snacks even, was well received.
But yes, tissues and waterproof mascara for yourself Allamanda,it's a heart melting moment, I wish you many more of them with your much loved grand child.