Gransnet forums

Chat

What is pansexual? Layla Moran

(147 Posts)
boheminan Fri 03-Jan-20 09:55:41

I read today that Layla Moran, my local MP has come out as being pansexual. This has surprised me in as much as I've never heard of pansexual.

According to Layla (amongst other things)
it's all about the person, and that you love that person themselves, not if they're a man or a woman. Being pansexual means being attracted to people regardless of gender - which is different to being bi-sexual.

I've ended up feeling genuinely confused over this. Until now I assumed myself heterosexual, but after reading Layla's news, now I'm questioning myselfhmm

lemongrove Fri 03-Jan-20 10:28:07

How is it different to being bi sexual?
Not sure why politicians or anyone think we will be interested in their sex lives.Instead of letting it all hang out, I wish they would tuck it all back in again.😁

Anniebach Fri 03-Jan-20 10:31:14

Surely it’s the same as bi sexual ?

Firecracker123 Fri 03-Jan-20 10:31:26

She's a Lib Dem say no more lol.

Anniebach Fri 03-Jan-20 10:33:13

Explains much

Urmstongran Fri 03-Jan-20 10:34:24

I’m losing the gender plot.

kittylester Fri 03-Jan-20 10:35:36

It is different because a pan sexual person is attracted to people whether they are male, female, transgender, self identifying or queer! confused

I looked it up!!;

petunia Fri 03-Jan-20 10:42:58

it doesnt mean shes attracted to saucepans then??

tanith Fri 03-Jan-20 10:45:11

In my mind bi-sexual is being attracted to the person regardless of the gender. How is that different?

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 10:52:43

Well, I was beginning to wonder whether it meant anything as well as people!
Like the woman who married a rock.

Anniebach Fri 03-Jan-20 10:52:51

I just don’t understand, does she mean sexually attracted?

ladymuck Fri 03-Jan-20 10:56:46

Is it a genuine word then? I thought she had made it up, a bit like being 'self-partnered'.
The word 'pan' means universal so it should mean being attracted to everybody and anybody.

Happygirl79 Fri 03-Jan-20 11:00:06

Totally gobsmacked by it all

Ilovecheese Fri 03-Jan-20 11:05:45

A journalist was threatening to "out" her with this information, that's why she has gone public. Pathetic that she should have needed to in the 21st century. It is no ones business but her own.

MissAdventure Fri 03-Jan-20 11:07:21

Really, why would anyone care?

CleoPanda Fri 03-Jan-20 11:09:02

Petunia’s comment had me falling off my chair laughing.

Bathsheba Fri 03-Jan-20 11:18:52

I read a simple (?) explanation that goes like this: bi-sexual means being attracted to more than one gender, while pansexuals are attracted to all genders.

For example, if someone asked you what your favourite colour is, you might say red (heterosexual), someone else might say "I like more than one colour" (bi-sexual), whereas yet another person might say "I like all colours" (pansexual). With me so far? No, not sure I am either hmm

Bathsheba Fri 03-Jan-20 11:19:48

So is the LGBT community now going to be LGBTP?

Ilovecheese Fri 03-Jan-20 11:21:05

Missadventure no one should care, but some journalist obviously thought that some members of the public would be prurient enough to be interested

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 11:26:42

I used to love the Saucepan Man in the Magic Faraway Tree books petunia grin

And the tree itself

Elegran Fri 03-Jan-20 11:48:28

Pan means every or all, so logically pan + sexual ought to mean that they are turned on by anyone and everyone they meet. There are other, uglier, names for that condition. I imagine she would feel insulted to be so described.

Oopsminty Fri 03-Jan-20 11:51:11

I must have been pansexual

I had a huge attraction to Troy Tempest when I was about 6

My horrid sister told me he was a puppet

Never forgotten the shock

annsixty Fri 03-Jan-20 11:51:50

Another one out to destroy the Lib Dem’s.
They are becoming a laughing stock.

MerylStreep Fri 03-Jan-20 11:55:20

Callistamon
and the tree itself Your worrying me now. 😂

Petunia
Thank you for the funniest post on GN for a long time 👏👏👏👏👏💋

PernillaVanilla Fri 03-Jan-20 11:55:33

I like "Pansexual" it puts the emphasis on the person not the gender. It doesn't say "I fancy men" and/or "I fancy women" it says "I want to know you as a person, then I might fancy you regardless of your sex"
I'd like to be a Pansexual, though highly unlikely I'd ever fancy anyone but a man.

MerylStreep Fri 03-Jan-20 12:02:04

Oopsminty
I hadn't got over Petunias post and Callistemons strange love of a tree and now your post 😂😂😂

boheminan Fri 03-Jan-20 12:20:06

I'm relieved I'm not the only one confused by this term. LBGT is now often referred to as LGBTQ - I'm not sure what the Q stands for?

Nightsky2 Fri 03-Jan-20 12:24:11

I was listening to 5Live this morning when this was being discussed. Apparently with bisexual people it’s all about sex whereas with pansexual😳it’s all about liking that person. Maybe they just don’t like sex.

Urmstongran. I have totally lost the gender plot.

sodapop Fri 03-Jan-20 12:46:04

gringrin Petunia

Would be good if people concentrated on the political acumen of potential leaders and not their sexuality or anything else.

GillT57 Fri 03-Jan-20 12:52:44

It is sad that she has felt it necessary to make this announcement in order to pre-empt the sleazy journalist. It is really nobody's concern, but I suppose the fact that the journalist felt this news would titillate some readers would indicate that some people have a prurient interest in what is essentially irrelevant to her role as an MP

BlueBelle Fri 03-Jan-20 12:54:07

It’s all a load of rubbish and I have no problem with what anyone wants to be or do but I don’t wish to know thanks very much and I don’t need to use a name for it

I think the Q stands for Queer which used to be a derogatory term not sure when that changed We ll soon have to have The whole alphabet in use
Sorry I only recognise people as people and have no intention of calling people it, they, pan, who or what I won’t get caught up in this nonsense

maddyone Fri 03-Jan-20 12:56:41

I never heard of ‘pansexual’ before today. I think I’m confused.

maddyone Fri 03-Jan-20 12:58:18

I’m with Urmstongran and Nightsky, I’ve lost the gender plot.

Doodle Fri 03-Jan-20 13:00:25

Thank you all for a good laugh. petunia that was priceless 😀

travelsafar Fri 03-Jan-20 13:06:06

petunia Made me laugh smile

lavenderzen Fri 03-Jan-20 13:09:01

Petunia thank you for brightening my day grin

boheminan Fri 03-Jan-20 13:16:55

(I know I'll get shot down in flames for this, but couldn't resist) - 'what we need is a great big melting pot' - or should that be pangrin

kircubbin2000 Fri 03-Jan-20 13:31:45

It just means someone who is an attention seeker.

LullyDully Fri 03-Jan-20 13:51:42

I feel I must be a simple sole and find life becoming very complicated with a need to be very , very broadminded.
PS
( I do seem to remember an old Welsh song about loving saucepans.........Saucepan bach.)

Elegran Fri 03-Jan-20 13:52:53

My reaction the first time I heard this label was to think it must mean "If it has a pulse I'll screw it."

annsixty Fri 03-Jan-20 14:01:35

Laughing out loud at the ingenuity of some posters.
Such a tonic.

NanKate Fri 03-Jan-20 14:01:59

Elegran 😂

Give me strength. I am sick of women’s with their saggy breasts hanging out of their clothes.

I don’t give a 🙈🙈 if she is pan, bi, trans, hetero. Why do well known people need to tell us all about their private lives? Hitting head on wall ☹️

SirChenjin Fri 03-Jan-20 14:06:49

Agree with all the others who have said so what, it doesn’t actually matter. The only thing that we should be concerned about imo is that in 2020 the gutter press was about to print the story
because sufficient numbers of people want to read this sort of guff.

boheminan Fri 03-Jan-20 14:22:01

Erm...I'm not bothered about her or anyone else's sexuality either. I'm more interested that I couldn't find the word pansexual in my Oxford dictionary (and if I'm not sure of a word, I'll always look it up) then when I googled it, I found the explanation difficult to understand.

SueDonim Fri 03-Jan-20 14:32:33

Some cracking posts on this thread especially Petunia’s. grin

A local council here used to include one of those diversity questionnaires on their paperwork. One of the options for sexuality was omni-sexual! I’ve not googled it but you can if you’re brave! grin

Galaxy Fri 03-Jan-20 14:33:28

I imagine the press weren't printing the story because of sexuality I imagine it was because laylas new partner is currently suspended from the lib dems for her role in forging emails.

Doodledog Fri 03-Jan-20 14:34:17

I don't think it's about whom she will 'screw'. It's about her being able to fancy people of all (pan) genders as opposed to one of two (bi). What she does about that is up to her, in the same way as heterosexuals finding someone of the opposite sec attractive but staying faithful to their partner.

Whether anyone else is able to get their head around the concept of more than two genders (and I must admit that I struggle) isn't the point - Layla Moran clearly does, and that is up to her and harms nobody.

I agree that it should be nobody's business, but hey ho - a lot of people like nothing better than tutting about the sex lives of others.

I still wouldn't vote Lib Dem, though grin.

jura2 Fri 03-Jan-20 14:34:20

Does anyone really still use the word 'queer' ??? honestly?

maddyone Fri 03-Jan-20 14:36:26

Jura, I would hope not in this day and age.

boheminan Fri 03-Jan-20 14:47:59

jura2 the word 'queer' when used in a sexual context is (I believe) still taboo? However, I find it interesting that a recent episode of Gavin & Stacy featured a karaoke rendition of The Pogues 'Fairy Tale of New York', and numerous people wrote to the BBC objecting to the use of...'faggot' (I thought it was going to be 'arse') another eyeopener for me, as I always thought faggot referred to a prostitute, a bundle of sticks or a dodgy meat ball.

MissAdventure Fri 03-Jan-20 14:50:45

Nope. 'Gender Queer' is now a respectable thing to be. (Although I don't know what it is)

Urmstongran Fri 03-Jan-20 14:56:28

And the wheel turns ...

MissAdventure Fri 03-Jan-20 15:02:19

adjective
adjective: gender-queer
denoting or relating to a person who does not subscribe to conventional gender distinctions but identifies with neither, both, or a combination of male and female genders.
"the genderqueer community"
noun
noun: gender-queer
a person who does not subscribe to conventional gender distinctions but identifies with neither, both, or a combination of male and female genders.

welbeck Fri 03-Jan-20 15:04:19

someone who likes cooking very much, esp with copper-bottomed sets, maybe.
don't know.
not my pigeon.

MissAdventure Fri 03-Jan-20 15:05:30

Oh, and while I was looking for that, I found that you can be pan gender, too.

SirChenjin Fri 03-Jan-20 15:06:46

Well said Doodledog

The readers of the papers that print this stuff won’t care two hoots what her partner has done or not done professionally - but two women in a sexual relationship will have them all in a lather.

MerylStreep Fri 03-Jan-20 15:08:02

Boheminan
Your ok, queer is so old now that it's back on trend.

kittylester Fri 03-Jan-20 15:12:22

jura and maddyone, yes they do - google it or read MissA's explanation above.

bikergran Fri 03-Jan-20 15:18:14

I'm going to marry the peg on my washing line..trouble is do I marry the pink or the blue one...I luvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv my pegs, if I attach them to my nipples and dance round the garden naked....during the ceremony.... what would that make me???I really don't know! (answers on an A5 postcard please) first class of course, the ceremony is tomorrow [grin}

maddyone Fri 03-Jan-20 15:24:38

Well now, would that be one pink and one blue, or both pink, or both blue?

kittylester Fri 03-Jan-20 15:39:11

DH thinks I'm pan sexual, I get quite excited about all types of kitchen paraphernalia.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 16:00:20

kittylester
coughing fit coming on again from laughing at your post!!

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 16:02:08

and the rest of the thread grin

I am getting really excited about my bottle of cough mixture, thinking about slurping it from that little measuring thingy and licking out the last drops, mmmmm

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 16:02:28

slowly but sensually .....

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 16:04:03

and the tree itself Your worrying me now.
MerylStreep I have only just realised that this strange attraction I have for trees has a description.

I just love to go up to them, stroke their bark and talk to them.
Yes, seriously!!

Elegran Fri 03-Jan-20 16:06:11

bikergran That would make you very cold but it would also make it easier for the pegs to keep a grip and avoid them ending up in a flowerbed all alone (single bed).

Luckygirl Fri 03-Jan-20 16:06:43

However much one might want to support people in their life choices and object to prejudice, I do think this whole thing about gender is becoming ridiculous.

I can imagine that pansexual could include some attractions that are rightly illegal.

Do no harm and love who you will - there is little enough love around - but please do not ask me to keep up with all of this.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 16:08:26

No-one gets in a lather about two women in a sexual relationship SirChenjin - what century are you in?

I still wouldn't vote Lib Dem, though
perhaps that's my problem

janipat Fri 03-Jan-20 16:09:47

Callistemon we had a Fraser fir this year and DH was entranced by the bark on it, kept saying how much he liked the patterning. Do you think he's developing an attraction like yours? grin

Elegran Fri 03-Jan-20 16:13:43

Callistemon That's why they put me away . .

MerylStreep Fri 03-Jan-20 16:15:51

Having had a friend who was a dominatrix and a male friend who had a weird fascination with the labels on tins of tomatoes ( don't ask 😕) nothing much shocks me.

SirChenjin Fri 03-Jan-20 16:17:31

Callistemon I’m in the 21st obviously, which is why I don’t actually care what pan sexual is unlike some on here or why I don’t use papers which feature women in bikinis as my reference points.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 16:20:22

I am always curious, need to have something answered.

CleoPanda Fri 03-Jan-20 16:24:39

Interesting that a few people think it’s linked to the fact that she’s a Lib Dem. does that apply to other political parties then? Are all Green Party MPs attracted to broccoli and sprouts?

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 16:27:59

It probably explains my liking for trees
and sheep (in the nicest possible way, I hasten to add, living as I do in Wales).

quizqueen Fri 03-Jan-20 16:31:00

I used to fancy Aladdin - the Disney version, then I moved on to the more mature Flynn Ryder from Tangled!

Maggiemaybe Fri 03-Jan-20 16:48:00

Ah, Callistemon, my GDS3 was fascinated by a photo of a little girl hugging an ancient oak and asked me why he (sic) was splatted up against that tree.

Later that day we found him hugging a drainpipe.

welbeck Fri 03-Jan-20 17:02:38

perhaps she announced it like that, so that we etc would discuss like this, and not notice that her latest squeeze was ex head of Lib Dem press / PR, and had to leave for having faked an email.
news management, eh.

M0nica Fri 03-Jan-20 17:02:47

This thread started at 10.00am this morning and it is already up to 4 pages. What is the fascination in the subject.

I do not give a toss what people are/think they are, or do, as long as they do not do it in the street and frighten the horses.

Sparklefizz Fri 03-Jan-20 17:13:59

I had never heard of Layla Moran until this.

SarahCGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 03-Jan-20 17:15:19

Hi everyone. We'd just like to remind you that Gransnet is an inclusive site, and the nuance of a comment might be lost when read from a screen rather than heard out loud. Please keep that in mind smile.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 17:25:27

Do you think he's developing an attraction like yours?
I do hope so, Janipat!!

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 17:30:01

pansexual

The word pan as a prefix means universal, all-encompassing so presumably pansexual means being attracted to any sexual being, not necessarily just human beings.

It would exclude saucepans and trees.

love0c Fri 03-Jan-20 17:32:59

Just read this in the news and I said to my husband 'what on earth does Pansexual mean?'. He said 'it means you like sex in the kitchen amongst the pans'. Ha ha. This post might get removed!! smile

PamelaJ1 Fri 03-Jan-20 17:34:23

I so understand your comments about the Faraway Tree callistamon, it was the most amazing tree in the world.
Petunia was obviously in tune too with her reference to saucepans.
I always thought that saucepan man was a little off the wall.

TerriBull Fri 03-Jan-20 17:41:20

I'm going to echo Monica, and say, who cares! None of my business where anyone else's sexual orientation lies, I understand why she's declared she's in a relationship with a woman, so she isn't "outed" but I wish well known people would stop regaling us with the ins and outs of their personal lives, particularly when they have to put such obscure labels on it, what's wrong with bi-sexual.

loveOc your husband's comment, really funny grin

TerriBull Fri 03-Jan-20 18:01:57

Callistamon, loved the Faraway Tree, so it seems Enid wasn't so regressive after all, ahead of her time I'd say, Saucepan man person being a trailblazer for pansexuals grin

annsixty Fri 03-Jan-20 18:09:16

Who makes these things up?
Is there a degree course in it?

trisher Fri 03-Jan-20 18:14:49

love0c Was he hoping????

love0c Fri 03-Jan-20 18:28:27

trisher, well if he is, he is going to be disappointed!!! grin

Doodledog Fri 03-Jan-20 18:51:03

The sneering on this thread and lack of respect for the preferences of others is very unpleasant. LM is is a relationship with someone who, presumably, makes her happy. Why not just wish them well and let them get on with it ?

Esspee Fri 03-Jan-20 19:09:29

I believe in Scotland pansexual means being infatuated with a pan loaf.

phoenix Fri 03-Jan-20 19:20:33

Now, please bear with me here, but "pan" in the (I think) Greek sense, means "all", as in panorama, panacea etc . (I appreciate that I could be wrong with this)

So, logically, "pansexual" could be taken to mean having sexual inclinations to all, which would include all genders and all ages.

Perhaps not an appropriate term? Although it could be the devil's own job to come up with another more suitable one!

bikergran Fri 03-Jan-20 19:32:51

love0c howling! at your post LOL lol............

bikergran Fri 03-Jan-20 19:33:58

can't look my pans in the eye eve again...LOL lol grin

Galaxy Fri 03-Jan-20 19:36:44

I am not sneering. It's a story given to the papers to distract from the fraud issues relating to laylas partner.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 19:37:36

Phoenix precisely, also my query about whether or not the prefix pan encompasses all sexual beings.

Doodledog I care not that this woman is in a relationship, sexual or otherwise, with another woman; however, if the term pan includes under age children and other sentient sexual beings, then it is of concern.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 19:39:24

And yes I am bearing in mind the friendly warning from GNHQ.

tinaf1 Fri 03-Jan-20 19:42:09

Petunia me and my husband had this discussion earlier today 😂

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 19:50:21

Would anyone have been the slightest bit interested if she hadn't used this particular term to describe her sexual preferences? ( or no preferences, as the case may be).

The threat of a reporter making this public wouldn't have mattered as no-one has heard of her anyway, other than a probable minority of her constituents.