Gransnet forums

Chat

What is pansexual? Layla Moran

(148 Posts)
boheminan Fri 03-Jan-20 09:55:41

I read today that Layla Moran, my local MP has come out as being pansexual. This has surprised me in as much as I've never heard of pansexual.

According to Layla (amongst other things)
it's all about the person, and that you love that person themselves, not if they're a man or a woman. Being pansexual means being attracted to people regardless of gender - which is different to being bi-sexual.

I've ended up feeling genuinely confused over this. Until now I assumed myself heterosexual, but after reading Layla's news, now I'm questioning myselfhmm

quizqueen Fri 03-Jan-20 16:31:00

I used to fancy Aladdin - the Disney version, then I moved on to the more mature Flynn Ryder from Tangled!

Maggiemaybe Fri 03-Jan-20 16:48:00

Ah, Callistemon, my GDS3 was fascinated by a photo of a little girl hugging an ancient oak and asked me why he (sic) was splatted up against that tree.

Later that day we found him hugging a drainpipe.

welbeck Fri 03-Jan-20 17:02:38

perhaps she announced it like that, so that we etc would discuss like this, and not notice that her latest squeeze was ex head of Lib Dem press / PR, and had to leave for having faked an email.
news management, eh.

M0nica Fri 03-Jan-20 17:02:47

This thread started at 10.00am this morning and it is already up to 4 pages. What is the fascination in the subject.

I do not give a toss what people are/think they are, or do, as long as they do not do it in the street and frighten the horses.

Sparklefizz Fri 03-Jan-20 17:13:59

I had never heard of Layla Moran until this.

SarahCGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 03-Jan-20 17:15:19

Hi everyone. We'd just like to remind you that Gransnet is an inclusive site, and the nuance of a comment might be lost when read from a screen rather than heard out loud. Please keep that in mind smile.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 17:25:27

Do you think he's developing an attraction like yours?
I do hope so, Janipat!!

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 17:30:01

pansexual

The word pan as a prefix means universal, all-encompassing so presumably pansexual means being attracted to any sexual being, not necessarily just human beings.

It would exclude saucepans and trees.

love0c Fri 03-Jan-20 17:32:59

Just read this in the news and I said to my husband 'what on earth does Pansexual mean?'. He said 'it means you like sex in the kitchen amongst the pans'. Ha ha. This post might get removed!! smile

PamelaJ1 Fri 03-Jan-20 17:34:23

I so understand your comments about the Faraway Tree callistamon, it was the most amazing tree in the world.
Petunia was obviously in tune too with her reference to saucepans.
I always thought that saucepan man was a little off the wall.

TerriBull Fri 03-Jan-20 17:41:20

I'm going to echo Monica, and say, who cares! None of my business where anyone else's sexual orientation lies, I understand why she's declared she's in a relationship with a woman, so she isn't "outed" but I wish well known people would stop regaling us with the ins and outs of their personal lives, particularly when they have to put such obscure labels on it, what's wrong with bi-sexual.

loveOc your husband's comment, really funny grin

TerriBull Fri 03-Jan-20 18:01:57

Callistamon, loved the Faraway Tree, so it seems Enid wasn't so regressive after all, ahead of her time I'd say, Saucepan man person being a trailblazer for pansexuals grin

annsixty Fri 03-Jan-20 18:09:16

Who makes these things up?
Is there a degree course in it?

trisher Fri 03-Jan-20 18:14:49

love0c Was he hoping????

love0c Fri 03-Jan-20 18:28:27

trisher, well if he is, he is going to be disappointed!!! grin

Doodledog Fri 03-Jan-20 18:51:03

The sneering on this thread and lack of respect for the preferences of others is very unpleasant. LM is is a relationship with someone who, presumably, makes her happy. Why not just wish them well and let them get on with it ?

Esspee Fri 03-Jan-20 19:09:29

I believe in Scotland pansexual means being infatuated with a pan loaf.

phoenix Fri 03-Jan-20 19:20:33

Now, please bear with me here, but "pan" in the (I think) Greek sense, means "all", as in panorama, panacea etc . (I appreciate that I could be wrong with this)

So, logically, "pansexual" could be taken to mean having sexual inclinations to all, which would include all genders and all ages.

Perhaps not an appropriate term? Although it could be the devil's own job to come up with another more suitable one!

bikergran Fri 03-Jan-20 19:32:51

love0c howling! at your post LOL lol............

bikergran Fri 03-Jan-20 19:33:58

can't look my pans in the eye eve again...LOL lol grin

Galaxy Fri 03-Jan-20 19:36:44

I am not sneering. It's a story given to the papers to distract from the fraud issues relating to laylas partner.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 19:37:36

Phoenix precisely, also my query about whether or not the prefix pan encompasses all sexual beings.

Doodledog I care not that this woman is in a relationship, sexual or otherwise, with another woman; however, if the term pan includes under age children and other sentient sexual beings, then it is of concern.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 19:39:24

And yes I am bearing in mind the friendly warning from GNHQ.

tinaf1 Fri 03-Jan-20 19:42:09

Petunia me and my husband had this discussion earlier today ?

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 19:50:21

Would anyone have been the slightest bit interested if she hadn't used this particular term to describe her sexual preferences? ( or no preferences, as the case may be).

The threat of a reporter making this public wouldn't have mattered as no-one has heard of her anyway, other than a probable minority of her constituents.