Gransnet forums

Chat

What is pansexual? Layla Moran

(148 Posts)
boheminan Fri 03-Jan-20 09:55:41

I read today that Layla Moran, my local MP has come out as being pansexual. This has surprised me in as much as I've never heard of pansexual.

According to Layla (amongst other things)
it's all about the person, and that you love that person themselves, not if they're a man or a woman. Being pansexual means being attracted to people regardless of gender - which is different to being bi-sexual.

I've ended up feeling genuinely confused over this. Until now I assumed myself heterosexual, but after reading Layla's news, now I'm questioning myselfhmm

MissAdventure Fri 03-Jan-20 14:50:45

Nope. 'Gender Queer' is now a respectable thing to be. (Although I don't know what it is)

Urmstongran Fri 03-Jan-20 14:56:28

And the wheel turns ...

MissAdventure Fri 03-Jan-20 15:02:19

adjective
adjective: gender-queer
denoting or relating to a person who does not subscribe to conventional gender distinctions but identifies with neither, both, or a combination of male and female genders.
"the genderqueer community"
noun
noun: gender-queer
a person who does not subscribe to conventional gender distinctions but identifies with neither, both, or a combination of male and female genders.

welbeck Fri 03-Jan-20 15:04:19

someone who likes cooking very much, esp with copper-bottomed sets, maybe.
don't know.
not my pigeon.

MissAdventure Fri 03-Jan-20 15:05:30

Oh, and while I was looking for that, I found that you can be pan gender, too.

SirChenjin Fri 03-Jan-20 15:06:46

Well said Doodledog

The readers of the papers that print this stuff won’t care two hoots what her partner has done or not done professionally - but two women in a sexual relationship will have them all in a lather.

MerylStreep Fri 03-Jan-20 15:08:02

Boheminan
Your ok, queer is so old now that it's back on trend.

kittylester Fri 03-Jan-20 15:12:22

jura and maddyone, yes they do - google it or read MissA's explanation above.

bikergran Fri 03-Jan-20 15:18:14

I'm going to marry the peg on my washing line..trouble is do I marry the pink or the blue one...I luvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv my pegs, if I attach them to my nipples and dance round the garden naked....during the ceremony.... what would that make me???I really don't know! (answers on an A5 postcard please) first class of course, the ceremony is tomorrow [grin}

maddyone Fri 03-Jan-20 15:24:38

Well now, would that be one pink and one blue, or both pink, or both blue?

kittylester Fri 03-Jan-20 15:39:11

DH thinks I'm pan sexual, I get quite excited about all types of kitchen paraphernalia.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 16:00:20

kittylester
coughing fit coming on again from laughing at your post!!

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 16:02:08

and the rest of the thread grin

I am getting really excited about my bottle of cough mixture, thinking about slurping it from that little measuring thingy and licking out the last drops, mmmmm

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 16:02:28

slowly but sensually .....

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 16:04:03

and the tree itself Your worrying me now.
MerylStreep I have only just realised that this strange attraction I have for trees has a description.

I just love to go up to them, stroke their bark and talk to them.
Yes, seriously!!

Elegran Fri 03-Jan-20 16:06:11

bikergran That would make you very cold but it would also make it easier for the pegs to keep a grip and avoid them ending up in a flowerbed all alone (single bed).

Luckygirl Fri 03-Jan-20 16:06:43

However much one might want to support people in their life choices and object to prejudice, I do think this whole thing about gender is becoming ridiculous.

I can imagine that pansexual could include some attractions that are rightly illegal.

Do no harm and love who you will - there is little enough love around - but please do not ask me to keep up with all of this.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 16:08:26

No-one gets in a lather about two women in a sexual relationship SirChenjin - what century are you in?

I still wouldn't vote Lib Dem, though
perhaps that's my problem

janipat Fri 03-Jan-20 16:09:47

Callistemon we had a Fraser fir this year and DH was entranced by the bark on it, kept saying how much he liked the patterning. Do you think he's developing an attraction like yours? grin

Elegran Fri 03-Jan-20 16:13:43

Callistemon That's why they put me away . .

MerylStreep Fri 03-Jan-20 16:15:51

Having had a friend who was a dominatrix and a male friend who had a weird fascination with the labels on tins of tomatoes ( don't ask ?) nothing much shocks me.

SirChenjin Fri 03-Jan-20 16:17:31

Callistemon I’m in the 21st obviously, which is why I don’t actually care what pan sexual is unlike some on here or why I don’t use papers which feature women in bikinis as my reference points.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 16:20:22

I am always curious, need to have something answered.

CleoPanda Fri 03-Jan-20 16:24:39

Interesting that a few people think it’s linked to the fact that she’s a Lib Dem. does that apply to other political parties then? Are all Green Party MPs attracted to broccoli and sprouts?

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 16:27:59

It probably explains my liking for trees
and sheep (in the nicest possible way, I hasten to add, living as I do in Wales).