Gransnet forums

Chat

What's on your coffee table?

(81 Posts)
kittylester Fri 03-Jan-20 10:00:51

In my naivety, I thought a coffee table was a place for putting down a cup/mug/glass - preferably on a coaster.

It might also have the newspaper/magazines/Radio Times and box of chocolates or even a 'coffee table' book. Ours is glass topped and has a shelf underneath with loads of clutter numerous childrens games, the village magazine and a box of tissues.

I saw an article yesterday showing how to 'style' a coffee table - is yours styled? Or like ours? blush

Elegran Fri 03-Jan-20 12:38:40

At the moment, absolutely nothing! I tidied it all away on Tuesday and it hasn't yet silted up again.

ninathenana Fri 03-Jan-20 13:37:58

Box of tissues, pen, DH's book coasters and TV remotes. Usually more "stuff"

Nothing stylish about it ?

Alexa Fri 03-Jan-20 13:45:18

I have a dear old wooden tool as a coffee table and I put my feet up on it.

lavenderzen Fri 03-Jan-20 13:54:39

Cluttered I'm afraid - paperback books (9) on top of one another, pens, pencil case, colouring book, diary, calendar that needs putting up in the kitchen, tablet box, 2 diaries, shorthand notebook and a cashbook.

FlexibleFriend Fri 03-Jan-20 13:58:18

I have an oak coffee table with drawers so the top is usually clear, it currently has a dog sat on it watching tv.

Kittye Fri 03-Jan-20 13:59:28

Tv magazines, newspaper, ballpoint pen,coasters,mug of tea and almost empty box of Bendicks mint chocolates.
Oh and biscuit crumbs and dust.?

Kittye Fri 03-Jan-20 14:00:44

Just seen tv remote control hidden under newspaper ?

kittylester Fri 03-Jan-20 14:44:04

blush Though the grandchildren have just gone!!

Greyduster Fri 03-Jan-20 15:05:38

We don’t have a coffee table, but my side table harbours two boxes of tissues, two empty spectacle cases, one uneaten
Ferraro Rocher which DH and I will no doubt fight over at some stage, half a box of Thornton’s Continentals, a box with two dates in it, some medical information that I have to read and am putting off readinghmm, a supermarket receipt, a Welsh slate coaster engraved with a Celtic knot, and a book DD bought me for Christmas.

Urmstongran Fri 03-Jan-20 15:07:30

my feet! That made me giggle Oopsminty
?

On ours right now:

Christmas snowman coasters bought for us years ago from my dear mum, sadly no longer with us. I use them every year.
2 remotes.
2 mobiles
The landline handset
The novel I’m reading
A calculator - himself checking our finances (or lack of!)
Alexa echo - hmm. Still in its box. One day ...
?

Pittcity Fri 03-Jan-20 15:41:05

Two remotes, a laptop and and empty mug. Given up with coasters as the table is a cheap IKEA one that is still OK after 15 years.
Just read the Lidl booklet and next week they are selling a coffee table and ornaments to go on it.... golden pineapple or parrot anyone?

quizqueen Fri 03-Jan-20 15:44:14

Nothing is on my coffee table.....I have no coffee table. Never felt the need for one.

jura2 Fri 03-Jan-20 15:46:38

same as you quizqueen ;)

Billybob4491 Fri 03-Jan-20 15:50:43

Ok on my coffee table are three bowls of fruit (we like fruit!) two mugs, two mobile phones, newspapers, bottle of cough mixture, two remote controls, dictionary, bible, box of tissues and three pens. Time for a tidy up I think.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 15:54:44

Alexa echo - hmm. Still in its box. One day ...
Very easy to set up Urmstongran - just ask any 11 year old! Especially the one who set mine up for me grin

Callistemon Fri 03-Jan-20 15:55:21

I inherited my coffee table

Grammaretto Fri 03-Jan-20 15:59:18

Mine is empty! This is because the littlies have been over and I had to do a sweep of the surfaces.
There is actually half a biscuit and some cracker jokes. Definitely stylish grin
I am envious of the table with the drawer.

MiniMoon Fri 03-Jan-20 16:06:47

Mine is empty at present. Usually it holds TV guide, remote controls, crochet book and assorted hooks ball of yarn and last but not least, husband's feet!
There is never any room for coffee mugs.

Kittye Fri 03-Jan-20 16:13:57

UrmstongranWe’ve given our Alexa Echo to our 12 yr old GS.
Alexa couldn’t understand my northern accent ?

Esther1 Fri 03-Jan-20 16:18:35

Nothing at all on mine - I am obsessed with de-cluttering at the moment and not in a good way. I need to relax more.

eazybee Fri 03-Jan-20 17:07:51

My television set, and it is pushed up against the wall so not accessible for the clutter that would accumulate if within reach.
Occasionally the cat.

M0nica Fri 03-Jan-20 17:08:31

On my coffee table is: carved wooden box with remote controls and my tv glasses, 3 tile coasters, All the Christmas books I received. They go on the bookshelves as I read them.

And, usually, a screw driver, pair of pliers and other tools that I regularly remove to the kitchen. I would like to move them down to the huge workshop in the garden. Am I the only person with a husband who would rather be in the house doing DIY in the living room than doing it in a roomy well-insulated garden shed with power and light?

shysal Fri 03-Jan-20 17:16:36

I have a nest of tables, the top one of which has the same bits and pieces as others, with the addition of an adult dot-to-dot book, pencil, phone, a tube of Anthisan, a trio of hand exercise eggs, a pair of dumbells and a lamp holding fairy lights which I never turn on.

DoraMarr Fri 03-Jan-20 17:36:18

I had a coffee table in the family home, but when I moved and bought new, lighter furniture I decided not to have a coffee table, because it just always seems to be cluttered. Also, I have floor to ceiling windows and a really nice rug and I didn’t want to interrupt the view I have a small pouffe/table next to the sofa which at the moment has a box of tissues on it, and a nest of tables at the other end which has a ceramic dish from Italy and a candle my daughter bought me for Christmas, plus the two books I am reading/about to read for writing group. Magazines are in a basket next to the sofa, but out of view, and tv remotes are in a little basket on the tv unit. I am very tidy!

SalsaQueen Fri 03-Jan-20 17:37:41

I haven't got a coffee table, just a small side table. It's got a pot full of pens, 2 remote controls, my husband's reading glasses, a lottery ticket (his), a mug (his) - in fact, everything on it belongs to him.....