Gransnet forums

Chat

How attitudes have changed towards women?

(159 Posts)
Grammaretto Fri 03-Jan-20 11:33:40

Thinking back over my life I have experienced plenty of changing attitudes and expectations. For the most part I would say things are better for women than they were 40 or 50 years ago.
My examples are:
from 1970:
On trying to set up a creche at the college I attended
" Even if there was any interest, it would be for our staff - not our students but there is no call for such a thing!"
The college subsequently opened a creche which was very well used but not in time for me.
I offered to drive some female friends and one asked me" "Does your husband let you have the car?"
I was teaching and organised a creche at work, which was taken for granted by the users. I suppose I felt a mix of pleasure but also envy that they had not had to fight!
than ever before.

What experiences can you share of things worse or better now?

felice Fri 03-Jan-20 13:36:33

In 1992 in Portugal I went to open a bank account, we had a joint business one but I wanted my own.
I was told I could only have an account in my Husbands name with my name in brackets underneath his. Only he could sign checks and all my bank statements would be sent to him.
I pointed out that under EU law I could open my own account. the reply was, Women here know that men are better than they are and accept that.
I kicked up with the Lisbon HQ and got a quick apology told that that law had been changed 20 years previously.
I went back to the old goat at the bank in the Algarve with the letter and got my account.

Witzend Fri 03-Jan-20 13:38:31

Katyk, I’ve known one or two like that. I think they must secretly want to be Stepford Wives ?

One I particularly remember came to the library counter where I worked, with several audio books.
A friend with her asked why all audio and no proper books.

She made an apologetic sort of face. ‘He doesn’t like me reading.’
She was probably only about my age, too. Honestly it was all I. could do not to reach across the counter, give her a good shake and ask her why on earth she didn’t just tell him to sod off!

BlueSky Fri 03-Jan-20 13:45:45

KatyK where have these women been for the past 50+ years? It does annoy me when they say such things: my husband doesn't like me doing that or wearing such and such. Please! angry

GrandmaMoira Fri 03-Jan-20 13:58:18

In 1974 my husband I bought our first flat. I went to the electricity and gas boards to register new accounts at that address but they would not allow a women to do this. The accounts had to be in the husband's name.
I married at 19 (foolishly!) and a few people asked if I planned to give up work. I would never have thought of giving up work just because I was married in the 1970s.
At interviews I was always asked if I was planning to have a baby as I was married.
Things are so much better now.

KatyK Fri 03-Jan-20 14:17:56

Yes it's a puzzle to me but then each to their own.

Judy54 Fri 03-Jan-20 14:37:54

Buying a car which was put in my Husband's name.

Being told there will always be plenty of work for good secretaries and replying I will let my Secretary know that She will be very pleased.

Putting some last minute papers out for a meeting and being asked if I was minuting the meeting to which I replied no and left the room. Walked back in, introduced myself gave my job title and said I am chairing the meeting today.

Being expected to make tea for male colleagues and get their lunch for them from the cafe.

Being told by a male colleague that in his day women stayed at home and cared for their elderly relatives. Fine I said but if I give my job up I can't afford the mortgage on my house and will have to move into a one bedroom flat so they would not be able to live with me. They did not want to anyway as they were very independent.

Things can only get better!

Calendargirl Fri 03-Jan-20 15:12:05

I started work in a bank in 1969. Female staff were not allowed to answer the door if anyone rang the doorbell, it had to be a male member of staff. A male member of staff always had to be on the premises, i.e. at lunchtime. I had a ‘staff’ account, but if I had been married, my husband could not be on the account as well, but male staff could have their wife on their staff account! Men always got promotion ahead of the women, even if the woman was better suited to the job.
Happy days!

Calendargirl Fri 03-Jan-20 15:14:12

And where would the Church of England be if they hadn’t allowed the ordination of women?

jura2 Fri 03-Jan-20 15:18:52

When I applied to go to Uni, aged 29, and with 2 children at school, the Senior Lecturer who interviewed me said 'surely your OH has enough on his plate without you coming to play at being a student' - OH was even more furious than me.

Grammaretto Fri 03-Jan-20 15:31:39

Did you choose that uni? Jura?
I hope not and told them why.

I was asked to give up one job because a man needed it more! I did too.

Kalu Fri 03-Jan-20 15:34:11

Never lets him in the kitchen!!!! Beggars belief Grammaretto. I could only listen in amazement whenever I heard these martyrs. Similarly, chatting to a friend who had to get going to the fishmonger as her DH liked to have fish on a Tuesday, every Tuesday? I had to bite my lip and not ask what she would like for dinner on Tuesdays?.

Some really are their own worst enemies.

Since retirement DH has taken over all cooking now, woohoo? Suits me after Having to think up meals for over forty years.

I had the same experience upon getting married in 1974, regardless of the fact I was having to close my account under my maiden name.sheesh.

Grammaretto Fri 03-Jan-20 15:51:13

I agree Kalu they are /were their own worst enemies but my MiL who is in her mid 90s wouldn't really expect her DH to cook. It was her domain and she was and is, proud of her skills.
I have only ever known FiL to open a tin of beans and beer. He is in charge of the drinks, she would never open a bottle of wine.
I'll bet there are plenty on here who have "his" and "her" jobs in the house and the garden. Maybe our DC not so much but we'll have to wait and see what our DGC expect.
4yr old DGD says she doesn't want children!

EmilyHarburn Sat 04-Jan-20 10:41:28

ARPANET adopted TCP/IP on January 1, 1983, and from there researchers began to assemble the “network of networks” that became the modern Internet. The online world then took on a more recognizable form in 1990, when computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web. While it’s often confused with the internet itself, the web is actually just the most common means of accessing data online in the form of websites and hyperlinks.

www.history.com/news/who-invented-the-internet

Molly10 Sat 04-Jan-20 10:44:58

I can recall when some pubs still didn't allow woman in the bar only the lounge.

I also recall woman/girls used to wait for a group of friends before entering a pub never meeting inside a pub. Very different now and it's not unusual to see a lone woman having a spot of lunch in a pub.

Oh and the looks when girls walked through the bar to get to the lounge.

Yes times have definitely changed and there are some shockers above.

Chewbacca Sat 04-Jan-20 10:51:46

1979, at an interview for a job, I was asked how long I'd been married and if I had children. I replied that I'd been married 5 years and had no children. At the end of the interview I was told that I wouldn't be offered the job because it was "obvious you'll be starting a family soon and will go on maternity leave". It was another 6 years before I started a family.

inishowen Sat 04-Jan-20 10:52:07

I had a serious car accident aged 20. I was off work for six weeks then my boss turned up at my home with my typewriter and asked me to do some typing. I was nowhere near well enough but agreed. A few days later it was suggested that another colleague could collect me from home and drive me to work. Again I agreed. This lasted a week then I was expected to get myself to work on the bus. I could barely walk. Being the only female in the office it was a given that I made the tea for the men and carried it up three flights of stairs. I waited for one of them to offer help but in the end took over that job , struggling upstairs with a tray. Looking back those men were a disgrace. They turned a blind eye to my injuries. I was too young to stand up for myself.

curlilox Sat 04-Jan-20 10:53:16

Back in 1970 when I went up to a girls high school, when I asked about continuing my trumpet lessons, I was told by my headmistress that it was "unladylike" to play the trumpet!

Happygirl79 Sat 04-Jan-20 10:57:28

In the 70s I wanted to buy a new washing machine and asked for credit to be told to come back with my husband. Even after pointing out that I earned twice as much as my husband did the salesman would not relent. I walked out of the shop and didn't return
In the late 70s I took a position as sales manager on a new housing development. Within a week I was accosted by a man asking why I had taken a man's job!
I later became the first female financial advisor for a well known insurance organisation
The men openly took bets as to how long I would last in the job
I outlasted most of them and did very well
I realised very early on in my life that men were getting paid a lot more than women in certain careers so tailored my career choices to jobs offering equality of earnings
I could go on and on but I would be here all day
My daughter is aghast when I mention these things
Things have improved so much for women today and yet there's room for improvement

Janetashbolt Sat 04-Jan-20 10:57:29

My first job in 1972 women could only wear trousers if part of a tailored suit

Happygirl79 Sat 04-Jan-20 11:03:04

I forgot to mention that in the early 70s I contacted my tax office as I knew I was owed a tax rebate only to be told that since I was married and my husbands chattel they needed to be sure he didn't owe them any money before releasing my tax rebate to me! This was the law in the early 70s!
P. S. I got the tax refund in the end

Chewbacca Sat 04-Jan-20 11:03:23

That's just reminded me janetashbolt; when I went to work for a bank in early 1970s, I was told that female staff were not allowed to wear trousers at all; only dresses or skirts. It was whilst I was working there that I was first sexually assaulted by a senior manager.

chattykathy Sat 04-Jan-20 11:09:02

In the mid 1970s the Headmaster of the school in which I worked said that the female teachers couldn't wear trousers! I ignored him and wore them anyway. Guess what, he didn't say a word because he knew he didn't have a leg to stand on. He was heard to mutter I was one of those union types grin

TerryM Sat 04-Jan-20 11:11:12

With my first husband applying for a mortgage in the early 80s. They would only take 75% of my wage as I was female ! I was the main earner in the household
Second husband and I again on a mortgage . We had a call back from the bank asking why I had said I was married when I had a different surname !. This was in 2007. I was stunned.

Americanpie Sat 04-Jan-20 11:19:06

Things haven't changed that much in the car showrooms of Scotland. We went last year to a big dealership and the older than me, salesman greeted my husband and ignored me completely. My husband and I walked out after telling him how rude he was. His loss of sales bonus went to another dealer and we were greeted with open arms. He was much younger!

okimherenow Sat 04-Jan-20 11:19:39

As a full time teacher late 60s I wanted to buy a new washing machine from local coop on HP.
Was told I needed my husbands signature on the contract. Well...
Outraged I protested and was finally allowed to sign the agreement on my own BECAUSE I WAS A TEACHER..