Gransnet forums

Chat

How attitudes have changed towards women?

(159 Posts)
Grammaretto Fri 03-Jan-20 11:33:40

Thinking back over my life I have experienced plenty of changing attitudes and expectations. For the most part I would say things are better for women than they were 40 or 50 years ago.
My examples are:
from 1970:
On trying to set up a creche at the college I attended
" Even if there was any interest, it would be for our staff - not our students but there is no call for such a thing!"
The college subsequently opened a creche which was very well used but not in time for me.
I offered to drive some female friends and one asked me" "Does your husband let you have the car?"
I was teaching and organised a creche at work, which was taken for granted by the users. I suppose I felt a mix of pleasure but also envy that they had not had to fight!
than ever before.

What experiences can you share of things worse or better now?

HettyMaud Mon 06-Jan-20 19:21:53

SirChenjin, I'd only want to be rescued by somebody who had the physical strength to do it. Most women wouldn't and that's a fact.

SirChenjin Mon 06-Jan-20 19:26:20

That doesn’t answer my question Hetty

Tedber Mon 06-Jan-20 21:45:47

Why has this thread gone off on a tangent about stay at home mums? It was originally about different attitudes to women as opposed to say the 70’s wasn’t it?

Tedber Mon 06-Jan-20 21:47:28

Oh and YES totally agree no matter how much equality in life. MEN will always be stronger physically than women!

SirChenjin Mon 06-Jan-20 21:51:56

I think it went off on a tangent because there’s obviously still the attitude amongst some that good mothers stay at home to raise well behaved children whereas bad mothers go out to work, neglect their children and raise feral mischief makers who cause menace in their neighbourhoods. I paraphrase but you get my drift.

tidyskatemum Mon 06-Jan-20 22:11:43

I still remember with horror when I worked for 6 months in the USA. There was a discussion about a forthcoming election and one of my colleagues, who I had considered an intelligent and rational woman, said that she would vote for whoever her husband told her to.

Hetty58 Mon 06-Jan-20 22:17:48

Not my attitude. The apparently feral kids here have a working father and stay at home, non-functioning mum.

The little one was screaming outside my house, having tripped and skinned her elbow. I carried her home and through their (permanently open) door.

The woman didn't move a muscle, appearing glued to the sofa and TV. 'What now?' she said 'I can't watch anything without being interrupted'.

I deposited the screamer and left, saying 'Your welcome!'

oodles Tue 07-Jan-20 09:24:28

@HettyMaud you've not met my daughter - she is a physically strong woman, taller than her father, I'd have hoped that the attitude that women were little and weak had died the death by the 21st century. Many women are physically very strong. Not just here, look at the women abroad who have to carry huge pots of water for miles many times a day
I have lost strength as I've aged, but I think that happens to men too, and often help I've needed from a man has been because he was physically bigger than I was, taller, with longer arms.