Gransnet forums

Chat

Bath or Shower

(101 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 05-Jan-20 07:41:13

Which do you prefer, for quickness it’s always been a shower but I do love a good soak after a busy day

mrsgreenfingers56 Sun 05-Jan-20 10:21:17

Shower every day, had new bathroom in 5 years ago and never had a bath in it yet!

WadesNan Sun 05-Jan-20 10:21:30

Well if lizzypopbottle (love the name) didn't shock you then I probably will - I hate baths, always have. I don't understand the attraction, you wait while the bath fills, then fiddle about to get it the right temperature, just to sit in dirty water!

A couple of years ago I had to go back to baths when my shower developed a leak - hated it - couldn't wait for the shower to be repaired.

crazyH Sun 05-Jan-20 10:24:13

Hot shower, every time !!

grannytotwins Sun 05-Jan-20 10:32:47

I hate showers with a vengeance. The one in our en suite was put in by the builders. We bought a new build. It has some special features to stop us using too much water and it’s a miserable trickle. My DH has tried everything to improve it without success. Apparently we would need to take the tiled wall down to get to the inhibitor. It’s the same in the one over the bath. On holiday when there’s often just a shower, I scald myself or slip over. I love to soak in the bath. When I see on property programmes that people have taken away the bath, I say that I would never buy a house without a proper bath. It must devalue the property or lose of lot of potential purchasers.

Magrithea Sun 05-Jan-20 10:37:28

Shower every time! I can't remember the last time I soaked in a bath. We lived abroad in a hot sticky climate for a long time where a shower at the end of the day if we were going out was a must!

Lancslass1 Sun 05-Jan-20 10:53:21

At the moment we have no Central Heating.
The immersion heater has packed up too.
We have no bath but thankfully the shower is on a different system.
A shower every time but if I go awayto a hotel ,a long soak in a bath.

Happysexagenarian Sun 05-Jan-20 11:00:25

Showers. No actual baths in our house.

grannydubh Sun 05-Jan-20 11:02:50

Totally with grannytotwins

phoenix Sun 05-Jan-20 11:04:55

We have had a new tower shower fitted, which has the normal shower head, plus a small hand held thing, and 6 body jets!!! The first time I tried them it felt like being water cannoned, but I've got the hang of it now! smileMade

Still have the occasional bath.

phoenix Sun 05-Jan-20 11:05:40

Don't know where that "made" came from confused

HannahLoisLuke Sun 05-Jan-20 11:05:47

Both for me.
A quick shower in the mornings and a leisurely bath a couple of times a week. That's when I pumice feet, wash hair, do pedicure etc.
I also think it's important for women especially to immerse the nether regions and if you only shower you should also use a bidet. I had one in my former homes and do miss it.

Anrol Sun 05-Jan-20 11:09:49

Shower for me every other day. I agree lizzypopbottle, we all clean ourselves far too often. I find baths quite revolting, sitting in dirty water and the waste of water... arrgghh.

Witzend Sun 05-Jan-20 11:13:28

Mostly showers, but I do enjoy a bath now and then.
We have 2 baths with showers over - ancient now at 30 years plus! - but still work fine. I shower myself off after a bath so IMO best of both worlds.

Regardless of mobility issues - none so far touch wood - would always keep one bath while Gdcs are still young, and their mother loves a good soak now and then, too - when she can have P and Q to enjoy it.,

Happygirl79 Sun 05-Jan-20 11:15:36

To be honest I prefer a bath. Its what I grew up with.
Last year at 66 I bought a bungalow. The bathroom is small and was very outdated. I had it extended and had a double walk in shower fitted. Although in excellent health today I felt I should plan for the future. No bath now. I do miss it but being practical it was certainly the right thing to do

Nanny41 Sun 05-Jan-20 11:33:50

We had our bath taken out a few months ago, because of my hip problem, it was becoming dangerous manovering to get in and out of the bath.I have a stool from the physio in the shower which give even more security athough there is less space,cant have it all,but safety comes first.

Skweek1 Sun 05-Jan-20 11:39:57

Shower for quick wake-up call - we don't have a bath any more, but to relax definiely bath with lots of lovely smelly bubbles, candles and music.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sun 05-Jan-20 11:49:48

We only have a bath in our bathroom (shower has been in the process of being fitted for many long years, but that's a different story). I bath once or twice a week (thorough stand-up wash every day apart from that), and thoroughly enjoy a soak in a deep layer of bubbles. I haven't tried reading in the bath as no doubt I'd drop my book or Kindle in the water .....
And to those fortunate enough not to have to bath or shower every day, I'm afraid those of us, like me, who are 'hot stuff' at night (and I'm not talking about bedroom athletics...), do need a thorough delousing in the morning or no-one would come near us! Clothes pegs anyone?!

Rosina Sun 05-Jan-20 12:00:57

We had a large walk in shower when we moved in, and liked it, but the design was poor, making it very difficult to clean (lots of inaccesible areas) and the shower was unnreliable. We decided on a refit, and went for a shower with a big splashy drencher (bliss) over a bath. I don't often have a bath, but when I do it is a lovely lingering treat. OH likes a bath if he has been gardening for hours and needs to soak his aching back and legs. If we refit again in the future it will probably be a walk in shower as a nod to old age , but chosen very carefully to ensure it can be cleaned easily.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 05-Jan-20 12:02:05

yehbutnobut
Having hip replacement does not mean baths are a thing of the past. My late mother had both hips replaced and still continued to take baths.

grannymy Sun 05-Jan-20 12:04:54

I tend to have a shower in the mornings and a bath most evenings. I don't have a lot of power in my shower, although I vowed I'd never complain about it again after returning from holiday in India where we witnessed people washing with standpipes in the street. I do love a nice bubble bath, but don't wallow in it for too long. I find it also helps me to sleep better. That's whilst I can still get in and out of it of course!

kwest Sun 05-Jan-20 12:08:42

Would love to bathe but arthritic knees make it very difficult. However I am grateful for my shower and the fold down seat on the cubicle wall so that I can wash my feet properly. When I broke my arm really badly some years ago, having the seat in the shower allowed me to keep my dignity and independence, also having front fastening bras. I can't bear the idea of having anyone trying to help with anything so personal.

sazz1 Sun 05-Jan-20 12:17:06

I hate showers. I always have a nice long bath with bubbles and rinse quickly with the shower spray. We chose this house as it had a bath and walk in shower.

Madmaggie Sun 05-Jan-20 12:25:16

We had bath replaced by a double shower 3yrs ago I insisted on a rainfall showerhead. I miss being able to soak in a bath especially after a long gardening session, but it was my dodgy knee that prompted us tomake the change. I suddenly didnt have the power to get out of the bath & I was I tears over it, it seemed like the beginning of the end.

Tigertooth Sun 05-Jan-20 12:28:27

Had bath taken out last year as we didn’t have room for a bath and a big walk in shower. We realised that we hadn’t used the bath for years, we only used the not very good shower that hung over the bath - only my daughter (19) actually took a bath and she’d be in there for 2 hours so win-win.
We love the new big powerful shower and don’t miss the bath at all.

pamdixon Sun 05-Jan-20 12:28:34

I love a good long soak in the bath every morning, but managed to gash my leg on oven door really badly on New Year's Eve and have an enormous bandage on the leg (not to mention stitches and sutures!). No idea when I'll be able to bath or shower again..........help!