Gransnet forums

Chat

Bath or Shower

(101 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 05-Jan-20 07:41:13

Which do you prefer, for quickness it’s always been a shower but I do love a good soak after a busy day

welbeck Sun 05-Jan-20 19:13:53

I have a bath 2 or 3 times a week, usually. don't possess a shower. put my head under the mixer tap and wash hair, every time.

Mrst1405 Sun 05-Jan-20 19:39:48

I love a shower. I have 2 replacement knees and have had back surgery twice. I find showers so easy and quick. I shower at the pool after my swim 4 days a week ,then shower from the neck down the other 3 days. In summer I shower twice a day as it can be very hot here. As for not regularly cleaning yourself properly with a bath or shower, it's just old fashioned and lazy. We stopped sending small boys up chimneys too.

BlueSapphire Sun 05-Jan-20 19:43:29

We had the bath taken out 5 years as DH and I never used it and it was a waste, so we had a large walk-in shower put in instead. I much prefer a shower and have one every morning. Sorry, but I just don't feel clean with a strip wash.

craftyone Sun 05-Jan-20 20:02:12

I am in a nice new build and have a long bath with an overhead shower plus an en suite with an electric shower. The over bath shower is far nicer and more powerful and I am ok to get over the bath for now. I have been dithering about having the bath taken out and replaced with a large walk in shower. Part of me says to wait but I kow there will come a time. I even bought spare tiles last week and have stashed them so the lovely white all over tiling can be matched

I slept on it and decided to get a bath lift so I could have an occasional bath plus it would enable me to get over the side of the bath easily after a shower. I got one from amazon for £200 called bellavita and I have given it a try. It is good and easily taken out in two halves. It has given me time

Shizam Sun 05-Jan-20 20:44:01

Last time I had a bath, discovered couldn’t get out! Long process of hands and knees and dangerous slide over side of bath has stopped me getting in it again.
Also I agree with earlier OP. Unless you’re doing manual job, riding horses or sweating in a gym, a daily posh wash is fine. My skin and hair can’t cope with hard water. Have to moisturise to hell every bit of me afterwards.

Grandmama Sun 05-Jan-20 20:47:32

We don't have a shower. I love a bath especially when I've been gardening. Lying back and soaking in warm, soapy water with a fragrant body wash - bliss smile

tidyskatemum Sun 05-Jan-20 20:55:57

We have a bath and separate shower sand I usually find myself dusting the bath as it's hardly ever used. Having said that, I do like a soak occasionally, especially when it's really cold, and I do think it helps your feet. DD lives in Thailand, where baths are a rarity, and posts photos on Instagram of herself immersed in bubble bath every time she comes to visit.

icanhandthemback Sun 05-Jan-20 22:53:41

Urgh, baths. I hate the thought of sitting in my own dirt and love a nice, hot shower.

Fran3669 Sun 05-Jan-20 23:12:42

DH and I both shower every day, partly because we do a lot of sport so sweat quite a bit.

The bath gets used for the cat when his long white fur gets grubby or he’s been ill.

Candelle Sun 05-Jan-20 23:36:36

The Japanese are right (as previously mentioned): shower before bathing, then the water (and you) are lovely and clean!

I love a full 60-90 minute soak in hot water. This is, apparently, v bad for skin and general health!
However, I'm still here.....

I use the shower too but prefer to bathe when time allows.

welbeck Mon 06-Jan-20 03:07:05

I find the thought of taking a bath is exhausting, but always feel better afterwards, so its worth making the effort. I do it partly to warm myself up, as I try not to put the heating on during the day. I use the minimum of water and time, washing the hair is what dictates how long it takes. I get in with an inch or two of warm water in the tub, otherwise the metal bath is too cold, then hold my head under the tap. I only use a trickle of water, just enough to keep it warm, can still bend over to do this. then use a plastic jug for further rinsing. don't want to use excessive water or heat. just enough.

seadragon Mon 06-Jan-20 09:40:35

All the houses we could afford, including our present home had only walk in showers for some reason. I really miss the occasional long soak (20 minutes max) but recognise that a 5 minute shower is kinder to the environment. We have enquired about installing a bath for occasional use but the rather eccentric plumbing makes the cost prohibitive.

Nannan2 Mon 06-Jan-20 12:33:41

I moved to housing association house which already had walk-in shower 7yrs ago,as ive got osteoarthritis,but i do miss a soak in a bath if i feel up to it,and have been told soaking is good for arthritis,helps to dissolve hard crystals in joints,but dont think housing assoc would put in a walk-in bath,and its beyond my pocket im afraidsad

Nannan2 Mon 06-Jan-20 12:58:30

Surely hip or knee replacements mean you can then do all that you could do before they became dodgy?? Otherwise whats point of having them done? Im hoping so anyway as im supposed to have both knees replaced quite soon.hmm

SirChenjin Mon 06-Jan-20 13:32:09

Shower every time - I can’t remember the last time I had a bath. I hate the feeling of lying in dirty water, it’s either too hot or too cold, and I shave my legs and armpits most days so don’t having to clean the bits off the bath. A shower is quicker, uses far less water and feels so much cleaner.

lizzypopbottle Mon 06-Jan-20 14:41:24

Another shocking thing - look away now if you're squeamish! People say a shower can't reach certain parts but I bet your hands can! Cup your hands, fill them with water and swill your 'lady garden'. It's yours so you can touch it! Soap and shower gel are very drying so water is enough. (A doctor told me years ago to avoid detergents 'down there' so a soak in a bubble bath isn't good!)

Thirdinline Mon 06-Jan-20 20:12:46

My order of preference is: 1.bath, 2.wash, 3.shower. I don't agree that a bath takes longer, particularly if washing my hair. It's thick and shoulder length, so it's quicker for me to put my head under in the bath when washing it, then just use the shower head for a final rinse off. Washing shampoo, then conditioner off in the shower takes me ages. Also, I can get things done while the bath is filling up, so I don't consider that time wasted.

Reading this thread, I do feel blessed that I am still able to get into and out of the bath - long may it continue!

Jools761 Mon 06-Jan-20 22:43:11

I’m a bath every night girl (not a fan of showers at all unless it’s 30 degrees in the shade!!). I also believe there are parts of your body that benefit from a soak!! But whether you bath or shower, I do think some form of ‘soap’ (or cleanser) is necessary!! There are plenty of preparations out there for sensitive skin (I use Sanex which is really gentle). A friend of mine was also spun the yarn about not using soap ‘down there’ and quite frankly if she gets hot she can be unpleasant company (her husband has even admitted as much but hasn’t the heart (courage??) to say so!!). And I don’t even want to think of drying oneself with a towel if soap hasn’t been used!! shock Just for the record, I also think children should have a daily bath or shower - just because we didn’t as kids doesn’t make it right these days. I mean we don’t fill the copper bath and sit in front of the fire in the sitting room either but we did back in the day didn’t we???

Floradora9 Tue 07-Jan-20 15:06:06

Our bath is never used since the GC could stand in the shower. We have a large shower and it could fit two GC when needed .

craftyone Tue 07-Jan-20 18:29:19

As children we had one bath a week, a tin bath in front of the fire, I was the oldest and I got to go first. Several siblings after me. We were as clean as could be, had our hair washed in that bath too. There must have been benefits because me and my siblings are very healthy, have been all through our lives. Me at 72, no doctor visits and no medecines needed

Bath or shower, modern day problem, lovely for those who have a choice, even two showers and a bath like me. For those who are concerned about the lady bits, there are portable bidets that sit on the loo (amazon) . Nice warm water from a jug and a tbs of epsom salts. Fantastic for all sorts of problems not least of which are the jaggedy scars from severe tearing that happened to some of us when giving birth

humptydumpty Tue 07-Jan-20 19:08:41

Had a hip replacement just before Christmas and can't wait to return to my daily bath!

Desdemona Tue 07-Jan-20 19:24:25

I prefer baths but in a hurry a shower is the answer.

watermeadow Tue 07-Jan-20 20:02:18

When I was a child we bathed every single day and so did my own children. Now newborn babies are not bathed for a couple of weeks.
I have a new shower room but can’t take to showers and quickly went back to baths. I’m not usually dirty and don’t use soap. The shower is waiting until I can’t get out of the bath.

lizzypopbottle Tue 07-Jan-20 20:12:36

Jools761 it sounds as if your friend has a pH problem, possibly caused by too much washing with harsh detergents which can alter the microbiome! (Yes, your hoo-haa has its very own bacterial profile! We mess with it at our peril!) ? By the way, the euphemisms come courtesy of my daughter. She knows them all ???

mischief Wed 08-Jan-20 23:00:47

I used to love having a soak in a deep bath, candles lit and reading a book on New Year's Eve but haven't done it now for a couple of years. Shower every time now although I do admit it is no longer a daily habit.