Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(62 Posts)
12Michael Mon 06-Jan-20 06:09:14

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but its dry at the moment here in Brackley, a day with a difference .
This morning I have my bi annual blood test for diabetes, which hopefully will be easy.
Then remove xmas cards from display as today is supposed to be the last day for xmas decorations etc.
Mick

Rufus2 Tue 07-Jan-20 09:59:32

there is so much illness and bad health on this forum that I fear more of the same for this New Year
Megs; Happy New Year and thanks for your concern. Things are pretty good here in Melb considering what others have suffered and are still suffering with more stinking hot weather forecast this week-end. Fortunately, many areas have had a 3day easing of weather conditions, light rain has provided relief from searing temps. but it's like peeing on a bonfire hoping to put it out. grin
The SES is doing a great job, augmented by 3000 Army personnel, but the enormity of the reconstruction task is almost beyond comprehension; well over 1000 homes razed, businesses gutted, power infrastructure destroyed and now fears of water contamination!.
Whether I have tea or coffee with my hot cross bun will soon become Hobson's choice. hmm
Now don't you talk of becoming a pessimist, or else I'll create another thread of jokes which I'm told, others don't read or more likely, can't understand. grin
Btw Megs have you heard anything of my other Buddy, Fatgran? She was living in Tas. so I hope she's OK.
It' now 9.00pm and very cool so I'm off to do a hot dinner.
Good Health OoRoo

sallysmum Mon 06-Jan-20 23:49:13

Hi everyone, I am new to gransnet and have enjoyed seeing your posts the last couple of days. I live in Shoeburyness in Essex five minutes from the sea where I take Saiiy my little dog most days. Hope you all have a lovely day tomorrow.

NfkDumpling Mon 06-Jan-20 21:11:12

I hope Gilly is ok.

NfkDumpling Mon 06-Jan-20 21:10:34

EllanV. My DH came down with something very akin to flu about a week/ten days after he’d had the flu jab. He was ill enough to take to his bed for a couple of days and was completely washed out. He’s only now getting back to normal and still coughs a lot in the mornings.

Strangely, he usually has no after effects from the jab, it’s me who usually feels under the weather but this year I was fine.

Megs36 Mon 06-Jan-20 14:08:43

Rufus 2 , not heard any thing from you lately so it’s good to hear you are still coping with the awful conditions around you, I have a close relative in Sydney and get the odd text updates but all very worrying.
We all expect (hope for) a fresh start with a New Year but there is so much illness and bad health on this forum that I fear more of the same for this New Year. Mind you I guess I am just a cynical old pessimist!!!

Kalu Mon 06-Jan-20 12:05:33

Susan56 ?. Speedy recovery?

Auntieflo Mon 06-Jan-20 11:47:09

Good morning Michael, Annie, and all.
I also got caught up with 'things', which included a visit into the loft, looking for something, that I didn't find. But, I did get rid of empty boxes! Why did I keep them. Just in case.
I have done a wash load, now have to dry it indoors, as it's damp outside and not worth putting on the line.
I have just about recovered from a visit from DS2 and family. They only stayed one night, but boy am I glad to have the house back to just ourselves again.
Gillybob, sending best wishes for the tooth appointment, and also for the back to That Place.
Hoping you don't get too many brickbats for unfulfilled work commitments. Surely they will be sympathetic to the problems you have faced these last months.
Wishing a good day to one and all.

Mapleleaf Mon 06-Jan-20 11:45:55

It's funny you should say that, conor. I was dreaming this morning that I was being observed in class and that everything that could go wrong, did, and I got dreadful feedback! I've been retired fully for 2 1/2 years now ??. Will it ever go away, I ask myself? Such a relief to wake up and realise it's all a bad dream ?.
Oh, and welcome, jackie0

Mapleleaf Mon 06-Jan-20 11:40:32

Good morning everyone,

It's very cold with a biting wind here today. Just got back from the coffee morning - it was so nice to see everyone and catch up with news. I'm going to put away the last of the decorations now - they are down but need to go into their boxes, which shouldn't take long. It's nice to get sorted again. It looks bare for a while, but soon looks normal. ?

Hope you all have a decent day, and anyone feeling unwell or low soon sees some improvement. ?

Susan56 Mon 06-Jan-20 11:36:21

Kalu?

Kalu Mon 06-Jan-20 11:33:19

Good morning from wet, wild and windy Glasgow. What a horrible morning.

Got to the supermarket yesterday, managed to get a few things then, I was done! Weak as a kitten, I came home, put small shopping away then lay on the sofa like a wrung out rag.
One step forward and two back. DH has the same bug too and we are both fed up with it, exacerbating other conditions we have into the bargain.

Sorry for the rant, I am just having a really grumpy day.

Hope all, also not having such a good day have some improvement.

NannyJan53 Mon 06-Jan-20 11:20:48

Welcome jackie0 to this lovely, gentle thread!

jackie0 Mon 06-Jan-20 11:09:57

good morning from a newbie in the cotswolds. windy and dark clouds here.

Greyduster Mon 06-Jan-20 11:05:57

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. A very late one for me, but I was up early - just got caught up with “stuff”. A mild, grey South Yorkshire this morning but rain is forecast lately. Putting the house to rights after the weekend and an ironing mountain to tackle; then first school run of the week this p.m.
Gilly the Bard was right when he said “Troubles come not as single spies but in battalions”! I will be thinking of you today. Hang in there.

conor Mon 06-Jan-20 10:31:05

Good morning from a brightening Essex. I'm another retired teacher who still has nightmares about no lesson plans ready!!! Must be all those years of having to think of nothing else. Had DGSs for sleepover last night and we watched Dancing on Ice and gave our appropriate comments. Oldest DGS back to school and little one home to mum. So that leaves me with taking decorations down for another year and a chance to clean and sort the house out. Hope Gilly gets her tooth and "that place" sorted today and anyone else with worries(not lesson plans!!) has the best day they can xxxx

Susan56 Mon 06-Jan-20 10:27:16

Good morning from Shropshire.
Ellan,we are now on week three of the lurgy and like you it is something I haven’t experienced for many years.We have both had the flu jab?‍♀️Hope you improve soon?
Sending you as much strength and love as I can gilly for the day you have ahead.x
Sending good wishes to all.

annsixty Mon 06-Jan-20 09:58:25

Foxed!!

annsixty Mon 06-Jan-20 09:57:51

Yes and nice to see you under your original name
The new one fixed me still.

Nelliemoser Mon 06-Jan-20 09:50:23

can you get this

GrannySomerset Mon 06-Jan-20 09:41:19

Sending sympathy to Gilly for what sounds like a very daunting day and hope that it goes as smoothly as it can. Just getting the tooth sorted would really help.

Arthritis announcing itself in my shoulders now, which meant a miserable night and frustration today as I have domestic tasks which need doing. Like many on this thread, I am struggling to greet the new year with any optimism since things getting no worse is the best I hope for and do not really expect. Think I need a walk later!

EllanVannin Mon 06-Jan-20 09:32:45

Good Morning All x
Dull heavy cloud this morning----what a come-down from a week's sunshine !

I'm afraid I'm still a moaning Minnie with this damn cold/flu/cough as ribs are aching now with choking. It's a pretty brutal infection and something I've not experienced since the mid 50's when I had Asian 'flu. No energy. I feel like the wreck of the Hesperus.

As a matter of interest, all those who have the lurgy, did you also have the 'flu-jab ? This is the 3rd consecutive season that I've suffered at this time as throughout the year I'm okay---cold/illness-free !? Christmas and New Year has been a downer.

Gillybob I feel for you as the last thing I'd want to do is move out of the house at all let alone try and pick up where I left off with what you've endured all these weeks/months xx. I hope the first day isn't too stressful for you.

Sorry to hear that there are quite a few of you under the weather. All you can do is dose yourself up and take things easy----not that you feel like doing anything anyway. Plenty of fluids to flush out bugs and look after yourselves, though difficult as it is when you have others to see to.

I must make an effort to take the tree down, dump the lights as they fizzled out after a day and tidy up as I haven't felt up to it really but the place is looking a bit neglected.

Enjoy the new day whatever you do, or not.

cornergran Mon 06-Jan-20 09:32:02

A late good morning from a very cloudy and windy corner of Somerset. I think I’m finally feeling better today. Hooray. Good luck today gilly, it sounds a stressful one. Hope Monday is kind to everyone.

moggie Mon 06-Jan-20 09:27:53

Good morning Mick & all from dry, grey Nottingham.
Washing & catch up on ironing this morning, out for walk later weather permitting.
Hope you get through the day ok Gillybob & tooth gets sorted & your DH feels a bit better.
Wishing a speedy recovery to all not well & improvement for all struggling with long term conditions.
Have a good day everyone.

harrigran Mon 06-Jan-20 09:17:25

Good morning from an overcast NE.
Tree and decorations down and back in the attic.
After several weeks of Sundays I need to get some normality back in my life.
Thinking of you gilly and hope you can get things sorted.

Brunette10 Mon 06-Jan-20 09:11:28

Morning from a very windy but bright Fife. No plans for today so far, will take things as they come. Thinking of all with hosp/doc appointments and hope Gilly's day is not as bad as she fears.