Gransnet forums

Chat

Harry & Meghan stepping back from RF

(1001 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 08-Jan-20 18:51:57

... and planning to be financially independent.
?

lucywinter Sat 11-Jan-20 17:02:07

Very noble of you MerylStreep. You sound like a hanging judge.

Summerlove Sat 11-Jan-20 17:01:43

merylstreep
At least you admit that you want to be nasty about it, instead of calling it “discussion”

Good for you

lucywinter Sat 11-Jan-20 17:01:08

Information merlot? But how do you that information is true? We only have what the press, and "sources", tell us.

It's guesswork.

MerylStreep Sat 11-Jan-20 16:42:28

jura2
so much nastiness
She has been rude and disrespectful to our queen. In my world that allows me to be as nasty as I want.

MerylStreep Sat 11-Jan-20 16:35:28

Lucywinter
It's called perception.

merlotgran Sat 11-Jan-20 16:31:47

It's not nastiness. It's a discussion - opinions are based on observations, information and experience.

The Queen has been around mostly all of our lives. This is a crisis similar to the abdication. It's certainly a modern day equivalent. We went out for lunch yesterday and you could hear people on tables either side of us discussing Harry and Meghan. Feelings are bound to run a bit high on both sides of the argument.

I think most of us hope they will be happy and find their own way but not at our expense.

jura2 Sat 11-Jan-20 16:19:29

wow so much nastiness- no wonder ...

I hope they will be very happy and find their own way.

sparkii Sat 11-Jan-20 16:15:04

I found the sermon at the wedding utterly misplaced and cringy. I had to leave the room.

merlotgran Sat 11-Jan-20 15:56:54

Harry's only hanging around for the negotiations. He'll be wanting the best possible deal. It's not called Megxit for nothing!

He has a couple of engagements next week I think.

After that??

oscaro11 Sat 11-Jan-20 15:51:09

Brilliant summary by sparklefizz.

Ellianne Sat 11-Jan-20 15:48:33

Sparklefizz does indeed sum it all up well, but I feel Harry needs a mention in her list too as being over hasty, dim, self absorbed, whinging and disrespectful to The Queen.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 11-Jan-20 15:41:19

No more to say as Sparklefizz has summed up my feelings

Oopsminty Sat 11-Jan-20 15:32:29

This racism business is tiring

Many black/mixed race commentators are saying the same

I am not a fan of many people in the public eye

Most of them are white

Seems that attitude could be why younger people struggle with older family members so much.

Not in my world, thank goodness

Not all old people have that attitiude

Some young people have that attitude

Greenfinch Sat 11-Jan-20 15:31:57

Exactly lucywinter.What do any of us really know about the RF.? Take the Queen for example. We can say with conviction that she likes corgis and racehorsing but we don't really know what she is like as a person. She says very little publicly and there is some justification for her being called "Elizabeth the Silent ". Good for her but that gives us no right to comment on her character.

Callistemon Sat 11-Jan-20 15:31:56

Sparklefizz just about sums it up
Although dare I say I rather like her (and no, I don't know her) but perhaps she misjudged what being part of the RF was. I think she thought she could carry on with her women's rights, empowering women campaigns but was probably reined in by the courtiers.

Summerlove Sat 11-Jan-20 15:25:32

Racial micro aggression for those who won’t google

www.apa.org/monitor/2009/02/microaggression

Tickingbird, it’s an expression around since the 70s. Hardly “woke” terminology as you put it.

Interesting that ideas you perceive as “new” shut you off from reading.

Seems that attitude could be why younger people struggle with older family members so much.

Oopsminty Sat 11-Jan-20 15:23:39

We don't need to know people in order to form an opinion

I have an irrational dislike of a female presenter of daytime TV

I don't know her. I've never spoken to her. Never spent time in her company

I believe most of us like/dislike people in the media

The one thing that bothers me about all this is what would appear to be an aim of making money off the back of the Royal household

Books/magazines/articles/souvenirs etc etc.

Time will tell

lucywinter Sat 11-Jan-20 15:11:25

"Things about her that you just don't like"? Do you know her? Have you spoken to her? Spent time in her company?

confused

Sara65 Sat 11-Jan-20 15:07:07

Sparklefizz

I’ve resisted joining in, because there doesn’t seem much left to say

But you’ve just put the whole discussion in a nutshell, that’s exactly what I’m thinking.

annep1 Sat 11-Jan-20 14:55:29

Good summary Sparklefizz perhaps you could pass that to the palace.

Cherrytree59 Sat 11-Jan-20 14:51:59

Played us (Joe public) like a fiddle.

So many cards to whip out play....
Including the race card,

Broken family card,

Crocodiles tears and trembling lip card.

'You will to pay our security bill' card ( which the RF will do, as grandparents love and will want to protect their grandchildren even if they are never allowed to see them again).

'I care more about Harry than his family does' card,

I understand Harry better than all his family and friends do, card.
etc, etc ,etc

Oh and the Woke card....
We care about the planet and will tell teach 'You' how to save the planet suck eggs! hmm

Sparklefizz Sat 11-Jan-20 14:51:45

^ I think that Meghan will blame Britain/the British, and that girls, means us.^

.... in that case, I will feel free to blame her! smile

maddyone Sat 11-Jan-20 14:42:35

I think that’s right Sparklefizz, that just about sums it up. But will we still have to foot some or all of the bill?
And no Chris, they shouldn’t blame Britain, but I fear from the interview given after the Africa tour, where Meghan talks about the British stiff upper lip, I think that Meghan will blame Britain/the British, and that girls, means us.

chris8888 Sat 11-Jan-20 14:29:46

Seems a shame that `reasons` are being put forward like racism, too much media attention, not a big enough part to play here etc. If they choose to live elsewhere that`s up to them. Just don`t blame the UK.

Sparklefizz Sat 11-Jan-20 14:23:43

So to sum up, after 38 pages of posts, the consensus of opinion seems to be that H&M can do what they like as long as British taxpayers don't have to foot the bill, but we think they've handled the whole situation very badly, treated the Queen hurtfully and disrespectfully, and we don't care what colour Meghan is, but there are things about her that we just don't like.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion