Gransnet forums

Chat

Girls names

(115 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Thu 09-Jan-20 20:27:37

Love all the older names that are becoming very popular and have been for a while, especially Elsie Dorothy Nerys Maud, Connie. My friend called her baby Rosalyn haven’t heard that one for several years

Witzend Sat 11-Jan-20 09:25:43

Must say I find many of what I call ‘old lady’ names awful, and do wonder how anyone who can saddle a tiny new baby with them.

However to me, and I dare say a lot of my generation, they have connotations of wizened, whiskery old great-aunts, so often smelling of mothballs.

Similarly the old men’s names conjure up bristly old men in tweedy jackets smelling of pipe tobacco.
Younger parents won’t have those connotations.
Relieved that Gertrude still doesn’t seem to have made a comeback, though!

Magrithea Sat 11-Jan-20 10:11:58

Our DGD is Daisy which is making a come back.

My niece named her little girl Arienna (not Arianna) and another lass I know locally called her little girl Ravienna.

MadeInYorkshire Sat 11-Jan-20 10:25:56

Oh dear, just realised my new DGD is an FML! wink

We have Ava and Freya, both of which I like, a boy would have been Arthur which am not so keen on as the only one I ever knew was bald as a coot all his life I reckon? ....

Witzend Sat 11-Jan-20 11:36:09

After an awful lot of name-agonising, we have a very new little Serena, and are hoping she’s going to suit her name.
Happy to say that this granny likes the name very much.

Don’t know what I’d have done if they picked one I really didn’t like - glued on a plastic smile, I expect.
Still feel for someone I used to know whose 1st Gds was called Otis. I think I’d have succumbed to a (private) little weep!

glammanana Sat 11-Jan-20 11:46:23

My last DGD was called Willow which caused for all sorts of comments but she has really grown into her name and would not suit anything else really.
When my DS2 was at school his friends baby brother was called Hannibal.

Davida1968 Sat 11-Jan-20 12:04:38

TrendyNannie 6, while I am personally not all that keen on them, I'd rather much rather that girls have the "older" names that you list here, than the names like "Cinderella Sparkle". (IMO, a name needs to have at least some "gravitas" as the baby becomes a child then an adult.) Years ago, a teacher told me of a child named "Baby Doll"! (This is absolutely true.) I wonder where that young woman is now? Incidentally I note that "David" has increased in use (this is ascribed to David Attenborough's popularity) and that it appears in the list of 100 most used baby boy names of last year.

Daddima Sat 11-Jan-20 12:18:24

I think I posted on here before that I’d never met anyone older than I am called Linda ( I’m 68)
I’ve heard the Klamydia one before, but ‘ hae ma doots’. The other popular one is Pocahontas, but this has been proven to be a myth.
And, Trendy, Maud reminded me of one of my mother’s poems -

There was a young lady called Maud,
Who thought babies all came from God.
‘Twas not the Almighty
Who lifted her nightie,
‘Twas Roger, the lodger, the sod!

Kacee Sat 11-Jan-20 13:39:58

My youngest GD is Elizabeth Kathleen and she is know as Betsy or Betsy Boo

MissAdventure Sat 11-Jan-20 14:03:24

Please be mindful that the forums can be read, copied and posted elsewhere by anyone, and that selected threads appear on Facebook and Twitter.

Hope nobody minds me reminding them that they may not want identifying comments seen elsewhere. smile

Bellasnana Sat 11-Jan-20 14:03:50

Daddima grin

Dolphin74 Sat 11-Jan-20 22:42:30

I love the Name Bronwyn (sorry if it’s spelt incorrectly) also Poppy Olivia and Lara. I think the names Arthur and Archie are becoming popular again! Happy New Year to you all!

Greenfinch Sun 12-Jan-20 08:35:12

Wilhelmina was my grandmother's name.I haven't heard that return. My ancestors were Scottish and they spelt the name Williamina which I am told was usual but from the end of the nineteenth century when the family moved to England the spelling changed. I have often wondered why.

Evie64 Sun 12-Jan-20 19:12:14

I love the old biblical names. My girls are Rebecca and Jessica. If I'd had boys they would been Matthew and Mark I think.

smayed Thu 16-Jan-20 23:53:46

My Granddaughter is called Ethel she is 5 now and we love her name.