Gransnet forums

Chat

Australian cull

(34 Posts)
Daisymae Fri 10-Jan-20 16:32:22

Reading that Australia are set to cull 10000 camels because of the water shortage. Also they want to continue to cull kangaroos. This feels wrong on so many levels. Surely there's been enough slaughter, how about helping the wildlife instead?

lemongrove Fri 10-Jan-20 22:18:43

I used to love rabbit stew.?
I think the Australians will do the best things they can both to save human and animal life, and if camel culls are needed( sounds like it) then it’s being done for sound reasons.
The country is having a terrible time, without us over here playing the blame game.

Callistemon Fri 10-Jan-20 22:30:48

Yes, they are lemongrove
Thank you

It's quite a different country than the UK with its own problems.

M0nica Fri 10-Jan-20 23:48:32

Deer are cukked extensively throughout the UK. They do immense damage to young trees. There is a small plantation of trees near me and I can see the deer -and the damaged trees everytime I drive by.

TerriBull Sat 11-Jan-20 09:24:08

As others have pointed out the camels aren't indigenous neither are the rather gross looking cane toads, I read somewhere the latter's population is out of control. It does seem when a new species from outside is introduced they can upset the delicate balance of existing eco systems.

Heartbreaking to see the sad looking Koalas on the news last night with their bandaged paws.

Absolute tragedy in every aspect.

gmarie Sat 11-Jan-20 09:27:24

sad

Callistemon Sat 11-Jan-20 10:19:15

People around the world are knitting and sewing to make pouches for orphaned marsupials which cannot survive without being in a pouch.

Cane toads are vile and proved to be absolutely useless anyway. Any other species which attempts to eat them could be poisoned so they have no predators in Australia.

Witzend Sat 11-Jan-20 11:43:45

I live close to Richmond Park, where the deer are humanely culled twice a year. There are no predators to reduce numbers, so aside from the very rare event of one being hit by a car, it’s necessary to keep numbers down to what the grazing can comfortably support.

If the Aussies are culling animals to save them from dying of thirst or starvation, that would seem far more humane than the alternative.

jaylucy Sat 11-Jan-20 11:53:25

Many areas of Australia were in drought conditions long before the fires started - feed was being taken from one side of the country to the other on more than one occasion so I would guess that a cull would have happened anyway at some point.
Camels were imported by some of the early explorers , several of whom died while out in Never Neverland, leaving the camels to run wild and do whatever camels do!
Large groups of them can be found mainly in Northern Territory and Western Australia.
When natural food is scarce, believe me it will be kinder for the animals to be culled rather than leave them to starve to death.