Gransnet forums

Chat

Step Daughter issues

(59 Posts)
Camelia3 Sat 11-Jan-20 05:10:16

We are both in our 60's but my husband has a 16 yr old daughter from a previous relationship. They have a fairly new relationship of 3 years. She visits us every 4 weeks for a weekend. They are generally speaking, happy visits. However, her personal hygiene is poor. In all her visits I can only count 6 times that she has showered and even fewer times that she has brushed her teeth. We have tried leaving her own specially bought products on her bed, new shower gel, toothbrushes, pretty towels etc. But she goes home and they are untouched. We have hinted through conversation ' oh isn't a shower refreshing? Etc etc. I used to take her a cup of tea in the mornings and suggest a shower before we head off out for the day, but she out-foxes me and gets dressed while still in bed !!!! Even when I know she's having her period there's still no attempt to bathe or shower. My husband is embarrassed and has admitted that her mother may not be a great role model in this area. Our relationship with mum is tentative so we don't feel we could raise the subject without verbal consequences. Any suggestions team Gran ??

Jaycee5 Mon 13-Jan-20 17:21:09

2mason16 Glad you said that.
So many people talking about her 'personal hygiene problem'. Does she even have one? I feel sorry for her.

Grammaretto Mon 13-Jan-20 10:20:08

BradfordLass you sound such a lovely relaxed person. Can I stay with you please!

All this is taking me back to my own DS and their friends.
When gf came along there was suddenly a aroma of aftershave and clean clothes.

When elder DS left for uni, I filled 9 bin bags with rubbish from his room, which I never went near when he lived with us.

Roll on a few years, we are invited to his flat, now shared with new gf. We were asked to take our shoes off at the door!!
You could have knocked me down with a feather.

BradfordLass72 Mon 13-Jan-20 05:10:38

What a lot of diverse advice and I can only add two things.

One day, her peers will let her know in no uncertain terms, and far more bluntly than you are prepared to be, that she needs to attend to her personal hygiene.

Many (34) years ago I had a long-running battle with my elder son about keeping his room free of old food and mould-infested cups. He took no notice.
One day I said to myself, 'What's more important, your relationship with the lad, or a clean room?' Which I was unlikely to get.

I decided there and then to stop nagging; my son was more important.

2mason16 Mon 13-Jan-20 03:34:17

What a fuss!! I shower every two days and have no problem with any one else's PERSONAL hygeine.

Mamma66 Mon 13-Jan-20 01:28:51

My niece went through a truly grotty stage in her teens. Her parents, both perfectly clean, had to pretty force her to shower and even then she’d run the shower but not get in. She discovered boys, it all changed and now she is fragrant, scrupulously clean and engaged!

Personally I would leave the girl be. Good luck ?

drifter Mon 13-Jan-20 01:05:54

Think her father has to talk to her about her pesonal hygine problem with out embarising her

SunnySusie Sun 12-Jan-20 20:27:11

My family had no shower when I was 16 and only one bath a week was allowed. We would strip wash using the basin, in winter doing one bit at a time because there was no heating in the bathroom! I dont remember anyone smelling. I would be more concerned about the apparent fact that your husbands daughter doesnt seem to clean her teeth regularly and is inviting tooth decay. My daughter was very reluctant to clean her teeth properly as a teenager and she has had horrendous problems with decay - extractions, root canals, toothache and huge dental bills. She greatly regrets it, but admits the more we pointed out the importance of dental hygiene the less inclined she was to practice it. The teenage brain at work. Once the boyfriends came along she cleaned her teeth practically every time she left the house.

annodomini Sun 12-Jan-20 19:43:57

I'm sure that hints like leaving toiletries on her bed will stiffen her resistance. Leave her be and do what she enjoys doing.

moggie57 Sun 12-Jan-20 18:32:07

omg poor girl .being nagged to bathe. maybe she allergic to your soap etc and prefers to use her own.she soon smell refreshing when she gets a b/f.. she is a teenager doing her own thing. have you talked to her mother first.

wondergran Sun 12-Jan-20 17:32:27

As others have said.....don't worry about it too much. Make sure she has her own little bag with her toiletries and tooth brush in....make sure it's a 'cool' branded one and leave some sugar free chewing gum around in the living room/kitchen incase she wants to freshen up her mouth a bit though I suggest you or DH eats them too occasionally so it doesn't seem like an obvious hint to her.

Shizam Sun 12-Jan-20 16:06:26

My son would go days without showering in his mid teens. He used deodorant and I didn’t notice any bad odour.

sharon103 Sun 12-Jan-20 15:51:04

Unless she really smells then I wouldn't say anything. You might put her off wanting to visit.
As already said, when she starts having a boyfriend she will have more pride in herself.
School friends these days tend to be more upfront and outspoken. I'm sure someone would let her know.
Maybe she's just a bit shy of showering in another home other than her own.

Quickdraw Sun 12-Jan-20 15:49:42

I had similar problems with one of my daughters. I am a bit of a clean freak so it was difficult to accept her standards. Your stepdaughter is an adult but also a teenager. Unless you are prepared to banish her from your home for the 2 days she spends there then continue visits and keep the toiletries accessible. You've put in a fair bit of effort already so unless she wants to change you can't make her. It may be a self esteem issue. Try to focus/ build on that. Good luck!

Merryweather Sun 12-Jan-20 15:27:21

Could you have a chat one to one? Could you ask her if there are any toiletries she would like to have? Or take her to choose her own?
I appreciate the need to be tactful, however, if you are friendly and sisterly with the conversation she may take it on board. Maybe she isn't aware of the need to shower daily- especially at her age with hormones and sweat. I hope she changes her clothes regularly, she could end up with a reputation which will be years by her peers and one that's hard to leave behind.
Is there something she is worried about?

I think I'd start by saying something like ”I don't want to cause any embarrassment or upset you in any way, I'm just concerned about you and want to help. Daily showers and tooth brushing really are quite important for hygiene reasons and really are quite refreshing. Is there anything I can buy or take you to choose product-wise that you would like? Or anything I can do to help you feel more comfortable washing yourself and your clothing? I'd like for you to be comfortable here and done mean to pry - I've noticed you don't shower or brush your teeth when you are here. Can I help in anyway? Please don't be upset with me. I'd like to think we can talk openly about anything that you are concerned about now or in the future and can approach me anytime in confidence”

Good luck x

justwokeup Sun 12-Jan-20 15:24:38

You may be coming across as a bit fussy. She might be more comfortable if you relax a bit more - no coming in her room with cups of tea in a morning, suggestions about showers, no hotel welcome packs. Have everything there so she can help herself but no need to remind her. Perhaps at her house she looks after herself more.

Aepgirl Sun 12-Jan-20 14:10:15

I remember as a child that the whole family bathed only once a week, and it has now been said that bathing or showering too often can lead to skin disorders.
I enjoy my daily bath, but perhaps the young lady doesn't feel the need to. As she doesn't live with you permanently I think you should keep quiet.

Esspee Sun 12-Jan-20 13:26:53

How very wise you all are. I would have completely ruined the relationship by now I fear.

grannyactivist Sun 12-Jan-20 12:59:56

Ah - I was this girl Camelia3. grin

I once went, aged 16, to visit my boyfriend's family at his home, where I stayed for four days. I bathed a couple of days before I went and washed my hair. Before bedtime his mum invited me to have a bath and didn't disguise her shock when I told her that I'd 'had one already this week'. In fact her response got me thinking, but it was a long time before I started to shower/bathe with any regularity. I also didn't have a toothbrush until I was fourteen, so brushing my teeth is something that I had to (eventually) force myself to do until it became a habit.

My advice would be to let this girl find her own way, but there are ways you could help her along the path. Does she swim? If so then arrange a weekend trip to the local pool, give her new toiletries to use in the shower. Ask her for feedback on the toiletries you buy her. Talk to her about when you were younger and what you got up to - and you can slip in information about how you and your friends managed hygiene, periods, sanitary towels etc. Hopefully your conversations can be used by both of you as a prompt to share more about life in general and build a closer relationship.

My foster children had very different cultural norms to me, but began to make some changes as they watched and listened and engaged with me, but I never undermined their own ways of doing things either.

icanhandthemback Sun 12-Jan-20 12:53:09

Let's put it into perspective. You are role modelling once a month. Her mother is role modelling every day apart from that. What hope do you have of changing her perspective? Just accept her for the way she is, it's not as if you are going to have get intimately close to her.
If it is any consolation, both my daughter and I went through this, we aren't like it now. The moment we started to get intimate with the opposite sex, we became scrupulously clean!

Tillybelle Sun 12-Jan-20 12:28:33

Agree with Tedber. Unless she absolutely stinks I would keep out of it. It's much too tricky a situation, personal hygiene and being a step-mum. I agree there might be a reluctance to undress and shower in your house for fear of being seen. Tedber's comment about dressing in bed is very perceptive. With this in mind, I would just keep well off the subject.

If she does smell so bad you can't cope with it, you might need to get her dad to speak to her mum. If she is scared to shower/bath, at least deodorant might work.

Just for interest, we has a foreign exchange student years ago with the smelliest trainers I have ever encountered. You could smell them as soon as you entered the house. For two weeks we did not know if we could survive, it was the most fearsome, overpowering odour I have had in my house - and I had endured a dog which farted powerfully.

GoldenAge Sun 12-Jan-20 12:07:11

I have stepdaughters (and biological daughters). I am fortunate in that they are all clean but unfortunate in that both stepdaughters smoke and although we are only visited by one of them now, when she comes inside from having a cigarette in the garden, she stinks. I have told her recently that it's entirely her affair if she has returned to smoking but that I don't want the smell of it in the house, and that she should spray herself with perfume before she walks back in. I have also asked her to return wet towels to the bathroom or washing basket rather than leaving them on the duvet and carpet in her bedroom. I think it's a question of balance - if your SD wishes to be 'dirty' in your eyes that's fine as long as it doesn't encroach upon your own appreciation of your own home. If she becomes really smelly and puts you off your food you have to say.

Jishere Sun 12-Jan-20 11:53:56

16 is a difficult age with hormones raging. In one hand it seems slightly sad and I'm wondering although you have been tactful up to yet what about chatting to her and being open about it.
She might have a phobia to water, something might have happened in fact there could be a million things going through her mind that is making her dress under the covers. It could be a complete denial of her changing body, where in her mind she isn't quite ready to let childhood go and accept she's turning into a woman. Gentle chats perhaps where she can open up.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 12-Jan-20 11:46:16

She’s only at yours for the weekend how do you know she hasn’t had a shower before she arrives and another when she gets home, goodness me you made enough points, the young girl maybe is shy about her body, I don’t understand why you are going on about it, you are counting how many times she’s showered and brushed her teeth,
You took her a cup of tea in the mornings nice of you but then mentioned about a shower before you went out! She obviously doesn’t want one, lighten up a bit, enjoy her company and don’t push things on her,

EthelJ Sun 12-Jan-20 11:39:57

I don't like to shower in other people's houses. Because I often find the controls confusing and actually even at home I prefer to have a bath.
If I was a teenager I think I might be even more reluctant. Do you think it might be something like that?
All you can do I think is mirror the behaviour you want from her and make it easy for her to shower and or bathe. Let her know (without seeming too obvious) that you shower every day. Talk about visits to the dentist etc.
Also does she have a toothbrush?

4allweknow Sun 12-Jan-20 11:29:59

Aren't we constantly being told we wash too much! If there is no body odour then what's the problem? Sure she will encounter criticism at school if she is regarded as 'unclean'. Leave all the showering stuff in her room just like a hotel would, may be used one day.