Gransnet forums

Chat

to spend or not to spend-that is the question.a first world problem

(31 Posts)
petunia Sat 11-Jan-20 10:35:36

Morning. Im a WASPIwoman, waiting to the age of 65.5 for my state pension. Well it kicked in this week. Suddenly, having this money has sent me into a tail spin. I constantly waver between spending every last penny on gin (that's a joke though-i really mean frivolity) or putting it away for my older age
Having spent the past few years since I retired on a work pension, just being careful with money, I cant bring myself to fritter it away. Yet suddenly, I can. But for so long I have been carefully considering every purchase. thinking do I want something or actually need it. I dont want to buy stuff just for the sake of it. I'm gripped now with indecision.

Are there any other WASPI women who feel like this. What do I do fellow grans-netters- blow it or save it?

BlueSky Sun 12-Jan-20 09:54:12

Talking about savings, you are careful and try to save all your life and then you end up paying for elderly care! Doesn't seem fair somehow.

Urmstongran Sun 12-Jan-20 09:54:26

Another WASPI here. I get my SP this summer at 65y 11mths. I plan to buy experiences with it. City breaks with friends or husband, more local trips out in the car to visit places in the U.K. I’d like to see Bristol I’ve never been and revisit Salcombe in Devon.

Maggiemaybe Sun 12-Jan-20 10:03:05

Well mine is 87. But as both my parents died suddenly at 73 despite a very healthy lifestyle and three of my grandparents didn’t even get to that age, I’m not counting on it. smile

The 50-30-20 rule sounds good. I’m off to check how that tallies with our current spending.

M0nica Sun 12-Jan-20 10:05:27

To return to the OP!

I would say is that the best thing to do is to relax into your knew-gained wealth. (grin)

Next time you are in the supermarket and see a delectable you really fancy, do not turn your head and walk by, indulge yourself. next time you wash a well-worn pair of trousers and decide that they need to last another year, chuck em out, and buy a new pair - and better quality - they will last even longer. confused .

As others say, unless your wealth is immense, in which case this extra income is immaterial, put some of it by - for holidays, car repairs and to replace whit goods and the occasional private out patients appointment.

After that, just relax into your new income - you will be surprised how soon expenditure meets income!

Grannycool52 Sun 12-Jan-20 12:40:55

I agree with Monica. Set up a standing order to transfer half to a savings account to save for the bigger things. Spend the other half on new clothes, treats and so on.