Gransnet forums

Chat

I feel sorry for Prince Harry

(1001 Posts)
Artdecogran Sun 12-Jan-20 12:00:22

After looking at all the news reports etc I have come to the conclusion that Harry is really stuck in the middle of his wife and the RF. Meghan married Harry very quickly, which can cause difficulties in ‘normal’ families, but with the emotionally constipated RF it was a disaster waiting to happen. If someone like Diana, who had experience of royalty couldn’t cope with the way of life or the hold the courtiers have over proceedings, how could a feisty American. Catherine has only managed it because she and William took a very long time to get her settled into the RF.
Moving to a new country, getting married, having a baby and trying to fit into the RF is a heavy burden, and then being bullied completely by the press is enough to make anyone crack. The daily mail is still dredging up anyone they can to slate Meghan and Harry.
Harry is trying to protect his wife, and according to recent reports, has tried to initiate changes but has been rebuffed at every stage. I would think that seeing the photos on the Queen’s desk didn’t show him or Meghan or their son was hurtful and an indication that they no longer counted. The further photos of the 4 reigning/next in line would surely have pushed home that point.
Harry has slumped down the line of succession, the same thing that happened to Andrew, Anne and Edward. But they had each other to share this change of status and that surely made matters easier.
I think Harry feels very alone and impotent and is trying very hard to change things for his wife, but has had to make a huge fuss to get anyone to listen. If you add in his own personal problems then I am very surprised that he is still trying to go forward instead of just giving up. Perhaps now the RF will abandon their stiff upper lip and treat Harry better than they did Diana.
Sorry for long waffle.

ladymuck Sun 12-Jan-20 14:44:19

I don't know if it's me being negative but Prince Harry has been looking rather dazed recently. It's as though Meghan is organising their lives and he is just falling in with whatever she has planned.
I shouldn't be surprised if he is wishing he could turn the clock back and stay in the army. I think the life suited him. He seems more of a 'man's man', not really the marrying kind.

BlueBelle Sun 12-Jan-20 14:51:21

I never ever saw Katherine as a target she was the darling of the country from day1 the perfect English Rose
Get out Harry and Meghan I would too
As for ‘he was happy with his family until she came along’ How do we know that?? Perhaps he was choking at the bit to get away He’s in his 30s for goodness sake he needs to branch out and he’s got no future claims to the crown so he’s done exactly the right thing he has a beautiful wife he looks happy and an adorable little son (who the wonderful press have even started on, bless him) I wouldn’t go to USA though I d go further where the press don’t go
Go and teach kids in Cambodia or Vietnam

GagaJo Sun 12-Jan-20 14:53:41

Hithere, couldn't agree more. A happy wife makes for a happy family.

Lady muck, I think Harry adores her. He wanted for years what William had, and now he does.

Good luck to them.

Callistemon Sun 12-Jan-20 15:44:06

I agree artdecogran

Callistemon Sun 12-Jan-20 15:45:53

although they should have told the members of the RF who will be affected by this first before making a press release. That was unforgivable.

However, I did hear that one of the red tops threatened to publish before they had the chance to tell the family. So who leaked it?

Callistemon Sun 12-Jan-20 15:47:09

stay in the army. I think the life suited him. He seems more of a 'man's man', not really the marrying kind.
a man's man
Not quite sure what that means.

Many officers in the Forces are married with families.

Anniebach Sun 12-Jan-20 15:47:31

It wasn’t leaked they said it .

Baggs Sun 12-Jan-20 15:58:19

Baggs females are in line to the throne , Charlotte is 4th her younger brother 5th

Yes, anniebach, that is what I was referring to.

lemongrove Sun 12-Jan-20 16:14:47

Bluebelle your posts are full of very angry words, ‘ filthy filthy press’ ‘presenters, disrespectful and vitriolic’ ‘away from these horrors’ ‘mire’ !! In your haste to only say good things about Harry and Meghan, you go too far the other way.
In fact, you, along with the rest of us know very little about their life.
What we do know however, is that with great privilege comes great responsibility, and they can’t have one without the other.We also know that William and Kate put on good public faces, and live dutiful lives, not writing empowering messages on bananas for prostitutes, whining that nobody asks them how they are, or saying how hard motherhood is.

lemongrove Sun 12-Jan-20 16:18:34

I’m quite happy for them to leave the RF and lead a low key private life here or elsewhere, but not funded with taxpayers cash or Duchy of Cornwall cash ( bank of Dad)...if they really want to be independant they should work for it.

Juliet27 Sun 12-Jan-20 16:38:21

I am disgusted by the trouble this pair are causing. Two years married, and it should come to this.

I agree eazybee. I wonder if the plan was on the cards from the start.

jo1book Sun 12-Jan-20 16:39:22

Yes, but what are they fit for except show biz?
And there's the rub.

jo1book Sun 12-Jan-20 16:45:26

I don't feel people fully understand the restrictions of being royal. If the Queen wants a sandwich she tells the footman who passes it on to the chef - there is a protocol. Imagine Meghan thinking she can do her own sandwich; she bypasses servants and chef and upsets the protocol making herself unpopular. She does not understand how things are done with royalty, and has got fed up.

V3ra Sun 12-Jan-20 16:56:47

Do you think Catherine was upset because Charlotte and Louis weren't in the Queen's photo at Christmas?
It was a rare opportunity for a historical record of four generations of the line of succession.
Not a family gathering as such.
Hardly anything for the Sussexes or anyone else to take offence at.

merlotgran Sun 12-Jan-20 16:59:26

I can't understand why they are so keen to give up all the luxury, fame, wealth and privilege that is handed to them on a plate in favour of the uncertainty of the celebrity world.

If they attract negative press in a dog eat dog environment they risk losing everything. Meghan has said she wants to be heard but fashions and opinions can change in the blink of an eye. Over exposure is as harmful to popularity as under exposure. People are fickle and could soon become indifferent to their brand - especially when there is no royal connection.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 12-Jan-20 16:59:36

Eazybee that wa a good post and one I agree with. He was always seemed happy and relaxed before his marriage, it is only since that issues of has he got mental health problems etc come up. To me the problem is his wife who seems to want to be queen Bee on her terms and its all about me. I don't think the press have hounded her anymore than anyone else.

If he really wants to drop out of royal duties why can't he stay in this country, become a Rescue Helicopter Pilot or go back in the army. Press interest would soon disappear, look at Princess Ann and her daughter Zara, they manage. But I reckon this wouldn't suit Megan who would want glamour and attention.

GrannySquare Sun 12-Jan-20 17:03:22

’I never ever saw Katherine as a target she was the darling of the country from day1 the perfect English Rose ’

Really?
Waity Katy
Doors to manual
Wisteria sisters....

..& much more.
Up to & beyond the wedding day.

Catherine certainly not has an easy ride & had to run the gauntlet of UK media opprobrium.

Sparklefizz Sun 12-Jan-20 17:04:09

look at Princess Ann and her daughter Zara, they manage.

And who ever hears of Peter Phillips and his wife, Autumn. Sometimes their children are photographed playing with Zara's daughter at a horse event, but otherwise nothing .....

lemongrove Sun 12-Jan-20 17:06:52

True, GrannySquare and publicly she has risen above it, has been accepted and does the role very well.

merlotgran Sun 12-Jan-20 17:09:49

I think Peter Phillips and his wife are playing a quietly supportive role to the Queen during these troubled times. They are often seen accompanying her but in such an unobtrusive way that unless you read the names under a published photograph you'd have a job recognising them.

It just shows what a great job Princess Anne made of her children's upbringing.

merlotgran Sun 12-Jan-20 17:14:21

What a shame Archie will probably miss out on growing up with cousins in his life. He and the Cambridge children could have as fun a relationship as the Phillips and Tindall cousins.

Sadly, Meghan doesn't do family. Probably something to do with a fear of being upstaged.

Anniebach Sun 12-Jan-20 17:15:10

He has always used his royal privileges , army training ? A
soldier carried his kit when he hiked the ranges, weekends were spent at a country estate. He went to Afghanistan with
Gurkha bodyguards.

Punched a photograph, no charges.

William and Kate moved into rented accommodation when at university, no photographs. Lived on Anglesey, went to
local pub, shopped in supermarket, no cameras.

It was in America some one took a photograph with a mobile phone of Harry playing strip snooker.

merlotgran Sun 12-Jan-20 17:19:27

A soldier carried his kit when he hiked the ranges

You sure about that, Annie?

ladymuck Sun 12-Jan-20 17:28:27

Gagajo, when I said Prince Harry is a 'man's man', I wasn't suggesting that he's homosexual. I don't think that at all. I meant that some men are not suited to a domestic life and I think he's one of them.
I think being a tame little prince, opening fetes and shaking hands with the public is not his scene at all. I'm sure he found life as a soldier far more exciting. If I were a man, I'd feel the same.

sodapop Sun 12-Jan-20 17:28:43

I agree Merlotgran I admire the no nonsense approach of the Princess Royal.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion