Gransnet forums

Chat

I feel sorry for Prince Harry

(1001 Posts)
Artdecogran Sun 12-Jan-20 12:00:22

After looking at all the news reports etc I have come to the conclusion that Harry is really stuck in the middle of his wife and the RF. Meghan married Harry very quickly, which can cause difficulties in ‘normal’ families, but with the emotionally constipated RF it was a disaster waiting to happen. If someone like Diana, who had experience of royalty couldn’t cope with the way of life or the hold the courtiers have over proceedings, how could a feisty American. Catherine has only managed it because she and William took a very long time to get her settled into the RF.
Moving to a new country, getting married, having a baby and trying to fit into the RF is a heavy burden, and then being bullied completely by the press is enough to make anyone crack. The daily mail is still dredging up anyone they can to slate Meghan and Harry.
Harry is trying to protect his wife, and according to recent reports, has tried to initiate changes but has been rebuffed at every stage. I would think that seeing the photos on the Queen’s desk didn’t show him or Meghan or their son was hurtful and an indication that they no longer counted. The further photos of the 4 reigning/next in line would surely have pushed home that point.
Harry has slumped down the line of succession, the same thing that happened to Andrew, Anne and Edward. But they had each other to share this change of status and that surely made matters easier.
I think Harry feels very alone and impotent and is trying very hard to change things for his wife, but has had to make a huge fuss to get anyone to listen. If you add in his own personal problems then I am very surprised that he is still trying to go forward instead of just giving up. Perhaps now the RF will abandon their stiff upper lip and treat Harry better than they did Diana.
Sorry for long waffle.

trisher Sat 18-Jan-20 18:47:51

No they will stay Duke and Duchess just as Diana stayed Princess. Interesting that the HRH is going. Harry following in his mother's footsteps?

Curlywhirly Sat 18-Jan-20 18:48:03

I presume they have agreed to losing their HRH title as they wish to run a business; glad they have agreed to pay back the £2.4 million spent on Frogmore, but no mention of who is going to pay for their security?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 18-Jan-20 18:48:31

They are paying back the refurbishment costs for Frogmore and it shall remain their English home.

They will no longer represent the Queen.

I wish them well in their new life.

Calendargirl Sat 18-Jan-20 18:49:00

Think will still be D and D, but no longer HRH, just the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

Anniebach Sat 18-Jan-20 18:51:53

They are keeping them but not using them, they will not
carry out royal duties , will repay the monies spent on Frogmore and will spend most of their time in North America.

So much for his concern for mental health , his official military appointments etc .

He is walking in his mother’s footsteps

Anniebach Sat 18-Jan-20 18:53:14

Diana was never a princess, whilst married and after the marriage.

Calendargirl Sat 18-Jan-20 18:53:32

Their security will probably still be paid for, part of the concessions. Probably a bit of give and take on both sides. Only my guess.

Opal Sat 18-Jan-20 18:54:18

The cynic in me thinks they would still want to keep the titles of Duke and Duchess of Sussex, because that is their "brand" and that's what they will make money out of. In my opinion, that's still cashing in on the royal connection, which leaves a bad taste. Other than that, I wish them well.

SueDonim Sat 18-Jan-20 18:54:19

Does this mean Harry is no longer in line for succession to the throne?

love0c Sat 18-Jan-20 18:55:04

I don't feel sorry for Harry. I feel more sad for him.

sparkii Sat 18-Jan-20 18:55:37

Absolutely fntastic news. Well done to them for having the guts to do it. History will prove them right. The old guard is crumbling .

GrannyGravy13 Sat 18-Jan-20 18:56:15

The Queens statement says that the will no longer use their HRH, not that they were losing it.

Anniebach Sat 18-Jan-20 18:56:57

the Duke of Windsor kept his HRH , his wife was never granted it.

tickingbird Sat 18-Jan-20 18:58:41

It’s sad for Harry but at least he can now live his life. I don’t think they get security as they’re no longer ‘royal’. I hope it works out for him but I’ve got a feeling they’ll still be pestered by the press.

suziewoozie Sat 18-Jan-20 19:00:20

tickingbird I didn’t say that - I said it was multi-factorial which I still believe. Had a grooming gang targeted a group of ‘naive’ middle class girls, I believe the police would have acted differently.

suziewoozie Sat 18-Jan-20 19:01:12

Meant ‘naice’ actually but naive will do

suziewoozie Sat 18-Jan-20 19:01:50

Oops wrong thread

Anniebach Sat 18-Jan-20 19:03:49

I feel sorry for William and Charles

Bridgeit Sat 18-Jan-20 19:11:44

And your still not happy?
What would you have them do?
Well what ever it is, it is for sure that we personally won’t be any worse or better off ...........however some will now have to go in search of someone else to shred.

Anniebach Sat 18-Jan-20 19:13:53

They will stay in the limelight, they won’t have to share it ,

Bridgeit Sat 18-Jan-20 19:16:00

Ohh yes of course!!!!

merlotgran Sat 18-Jan-20 19:18:26

Will they still be able to keep the Royal part of their brand name?

Sparklefizz Sat 18-Jan-20 19:25:23

Poor William. No support for him later on, then, once Charles has gone. At least Charles has got Anne and Edward, plus Sophie is doing more nowadays.

seacliff Sat 18-Jan-20 19:48:10

I am glad it's sorted, and really hope Harry will be properly happy now.

I too feel sorry for William for the future. He always previously was so close to his brother, and I'm sure he envisaged them working as a team in years to come.

Of course we won't know how long before Harry is King, and whether his children will be grown up enough to help. It will be a big responsibility, and I'm glad he has Kate and her family to support him.

GrannyLaine Sat 18-Jan-20 19:52:52

I think you mean 'before William is King' seacliff, unless I've missed something

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion