Gransnet forums

Chat

Are British Men Scruffy In Their Clothes?

(107 Posts)
Grandad1943 Tue 14-Jan-20 09:25:54

In recent months I seem to have become aware of how poor and "scruffy" British men have become in their dress. It would seem that with many males these days to "slop around" in a sloganised t-shirt and a pair of jeans which often look as if they have been worn for days/weeks without washing seems to be the "norm".

I am one who especially if I am going out will make an effort to smarten up with at least a clean semi-formal button-up shirt, a pair of smart casual strides, and a pair of Smart shoes, never trainers.

However, it seems that I and males I associate with are part of a dying breed, as many men, even on an evening out, look as if they have just got up out the chair and walked out the door in whatever they have been wearing all day or even for several days.

The above has been brought to the fore when on Saturday a male member of staff came into the office dressed as above after a couple of days off. His line manager (a woman) "had a right go, reminding him that smart casual was the dress code for the office. He stated that it was Saturday he was not officially working and he had only come in to check on his work for Monday.

So thoughts on male dress sense in today's world?

Grandad1943 Wed 15-Jan-20 21:13:11

Ellianne in regard to your above post I have carried out our duty of care as an employer by way of not revealing any names addresses or personal direct personal information on any employees or former employee.

In the above, I have also carried out our obligations under the Data Protection Act, which would bear far more relevance in this situation.

Ellianne Wed 15-Jan-20 21:44:40

Sorry Grandad1943. If you'd read my post carefully you would see my reply was addressed solely to maddyone to offer her the correct terminology on the employer's responsibility. It does, however, seem that anyone who posts something which causes you to feel uncomfortable makes you come back at them with some long winded justification of your actions.

Grandad1943 Wed 15-Jan-20 22:19:52

Ellianne, in regard to your above post I was just respectfully advising you that I was aware of the legislation that you were referencing to maddyone.

In the above, I cannot see that my reply was "long-winded" as you referred to it as it only consisted of two short paragraphs.

However, I do like to explain myself clearly in my posts, and in that, I am prepared to place effort. That seems to be very much appreciated as many forum members have commented on in various threads.

oldgimmer1 Thu 16-Jan-20 05:08:12

I'm completely lost. grinconfused

So:

Employee turns up for work following a request made at short notice to attend the office on a normally non-working day.

He's wearing clothing that is considered "inappropriate", is pulled aside by his manager, who tears him off a strip in front of others. Employee reacts to this.

Employee raises a grievance over the way he has been treated, the matter escalates and the employee somehow ends up being suspended pending an investigation and is now facing the sack?

That right?

Grandad1943 Thu 16-Jan-20 08:16:33

oldgimmer1, I am afraid you are not correct in your above analysis. The employee has now resigned as it has emerged he has a drink driving charge pending against him.

It was part of his contract of employment with the company that he has to hold a current UK driving licence. The distress of the above we now believe acounted for his dress and behaviour in the office on Saturday.

It is also a fact, that as he was a member of an Assignment Team within the company where Saturday along with any other day of the week can be part of their work pattern under contract.

They work a basic 37 hour week which has to be averaged out over a three month period. The forgoing is very similar to how many workers in the transport industry carry out their employment duties.

In short, such workers can work very long hours in any one week, but then take time off in another week in compensation for those extra hours worked.

oldgimmer1 Thu 16-Jan-20 14:26:15

So he hasn't lost his licence yet? He's been charged but allowed to drive meanwhile?

Have you considered other options that may be available to him in terms of other employment in your company until his licence is reinstated? (wait - I think I know the answer to that)!

So he's been "encouraged to resign" with immediate effect. [hmmm].